Everybody be safe today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
This weather forecast is getting more ominous by the hour. Sounds like we're in for a crazy afternoon-night. This isn't just Mike Morgan/David Payne hype. People at the NWS are also all in on the doomsday predictions.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Just got done running electricity into my cellar. Now have a light, fan, and radio. Couldn't get TV to pick anything up. Everyone take a quick video of the interior and exterior of your house with your phone. This will give you a video library of all of your belongings in case the unthinkable happens. If you have daily medication, take it with you. Stay safe and hope everyone avoids major damage or injuries.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Hopefully the anti-vax governor doesn't encourage everybody to evacuate and get on the road.
That was Mike Morgan... and I'll never understand why the man wasn't prosecuted for it (or at the very least, lost his job). He could have/would have single-handily killed hundreds, maybe even thousands, on May 31st had that f5 not lifted and kept tracking towards OKC. The highways/roads were gridlocked pretty much everywhere because of his words and asinine advice. NOT GOOD. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
That was Mike Morgan... and I'll never understand why the man wasn't prosecuted for it (or at the very least, lost his job). He could have/would have single-handily killed hundreds, maybe even thousands, on May 31st had that f5 not lifted and kept tracking towards OKC. The highways/roads were gridlocked pretty much everywhere because of his words and asinine advice. NOT GOOD. :cursing::cursing::cursing:
Oh yeah it was Greg Abbott down here in Texas that declared a state of emergency and told residents to evacuate after the floods were too bad in Houston to navigate.

It's pretty amazing that we are getting this much notice in advance. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing... but it's still important to pay attention every time the NOAA issues something like this.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Oh yeah it was Greg Abbott down here in Texas that declared a state of emergency and told residents to evacuate after the floods were too bad in Houston to navigate.

It's pretty amazing that we are getting this much notice in advance. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing... but it's still important to pay attention every time the NOAA issues something like this.
Agree... Buuuuuuuuttttt, very fed up with the hype machine and the over-dramatization of the weather. Freaking Reed Timmer had an extensive Facebook posting yesterday just making a massive huge deal about this "real deal" storm... fearmongering... then he finished the posting with a marketing plug and an actual link to a storm shelter company. What an ass. :cursing::glare:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Agree... Buuuuuuuuttttt, very fed up with the hype machine and the over-dramatization of the weather. Freaking Reed Timmer had an extensive Facebook posting yesterday just making a massive huge deal about this "real deal" storm... fearmongering... then he finished the posting with a marketing plug and an actual link to a storm shelter company. What an ass. :cursing::glare:
Absolutely. It's reason #1 we should not only give weather reports to media outlets. Could you imagine the weather service only giving up to date weather reports to paying subscribers?

Their job is to put the information out there. Put the risk out there. Make sure the populace is informed and adequately warned.

Hell... we could say the same thing about the news in general. Pretty sick of the fear mongering there too.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Absolutely. It's reason #1 we should not only give weather reports to media outlets. Could you imagine the weather service only giving up to date weather reports to paying subscribers?

Their job is to put the information out there. Put the risk out there. Make sure the populace is informed and adequately warned.

Hell... we could say the same thing about the news in general. Pretty sick of the fear mongering there too.
Reed Timmer is the definition of an ass hat. I have had to put up with him and his tourists in the past, they have no respect for private property.

Nov 6, 2010
I know it can be frustrating when these big predictions turn out to be false alarms, but we gotta remember the main thing that kills people with tornadoes is lack of adequate warning. So, all these weather folks can do is let people know when the conditions are ripe. Even if it ends up lacking that last little random element that kicks off a major tornado, that doesn't mean they were wrong about the conditions, and to issue the warnings.

Better safe than sorry.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, state of emergency for Houston should have been a week earlier.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Over-dramatization does as much to feed a "boy cried wolf" disposition as it does to get people to take heed. Personally, I look no further than Katrina. NOLAs had been fed with impending catastrophe after pending catastrophe to the point they were numb. I was in NOLA the day before she hit and there was absolutely no preparation or sense of urgency. The square in front of the parish offices were full of people casually going about their business, buskers, nobody giving a rat's ass. One of the properties I looked at was on Hayne Blvd. at the base of the Pontchartrain leevee. The site manager spoke all day of heading out into the ocean the next day to fish with no regard for what was coming. My wife called me in a panic and moved up my flight out. Took me less than 10 minutes to drive from downtown to the airport and less than two minutes to clear security.