ESPN reports: Miles to Michigan

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado
Lsu Is A Stepping Stone Program...

Isn't that funny.
After decades of being a "Stepping Stone" program for coaches like Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles, getting a program going only to watch as coaches go to bigger and better opportunities, we find ourselves with some strange company -- LSU.

You've got to feel for the Tiger fans.

Here they had Nick Saban, who brought the program to the top, only to lose Saban to the pros.
So, they steal Les Miles, who gets the Tigers a shot at the MNC game. All they have to do is win out and they control their own destiny.

Now, Pelini is apparently going to Nebraska and Les Miles will be going to Michigan.

I guess we should have some empathy for LSU.

We should.

But for some strange reason, we don't.
I think it's like watching a giant morality play.

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005
Re: Lsu Is A Stepping Stone Program...

I've never quite gotten the "stepping stone program" thing some OSU fans talk about..... other than Johnson and Miles, what other Head Football Coaches at OSU have done that? Haven't all the rest just gotten fired or quit?

Apr 21, 2005
LALA
per unnamed source... can't be true though... lester knows he's not supposed to talk about a new job until after his next game...

he wouldn't do that... would he?

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado

Actually those were the only coaches that "left" our program, but there were several assistants that went on to their own program successes...or failures.

Pat Jones (Oakland Raiders)
Dave Wannstedt
Butch Davis
Houston Nutt
Rob Ryan
Larry Roach
Jim Stanley (USFL Champ)

...to name a few.

Feb 19, 2005
LSU got what they had coming

LSU met with Miles and were in discussions with him during OSU's preparation for the Alamo Bowl. What goes around comes around. Not only did they Lose Pelini to Nebraska, they lost their head coach before the SEC championship game with a slight possibility of national championship implications. Screw LSU. No more used car salsemen for football coaches that come and go. We are stable with Gundy and that has to help in the recruiting proccess in the long run.

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado
WOW!! SHOCKER!!

This has been written on the wall since Les Miles was in Stillwater.
It's just now come to fruition.

Now, we can all go back to our normal, daily activities without this speculation.

And..if you think Lester would actually honor his team or employer by putting off any talks before the "big game", just check your Les Miles history book.

This wasn't going to wait.
It would be Les' MO to tell the Tigers he's going to Michigan right before they go out of the tunnel today.

Put your money on Tennessee.

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005

Actually those were the only coaches that "left" our program, but there were several assistants that went on to their own program successes...or failures.

Pat Jones (Oakland Raiders)
Dave Wannstedt
Butch Davis
Houston Nutt
Rob Ryan
Larry Roach
Jim Stanley (USFL Champ)

...to name a few.
I asked what other HEAD COACHES at OSU left like Johnson and Miles did. I know and fully expect the assistant coaches to move on to bigger/better things at some point. In fact, I HOPE they do because that means they were good.

Besides Johnson and Miles, have any of our other Head Coaches used OSU as their "stepping stones"?

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado
Re: LSU got what they had coming

I agree with you on everything except the stability thing.

There's stability right now, but if Gundy continues to go around .500, that will get things shaking.

Unless we're resolved to be a 6-6 program.

But, yes...LSU big wigs got some Karma bitch-slappin'.

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005

Just to be honest..... I would think that it's pretty safe to say that if Pat Jones had not gotten OSU put on probation and Bob Simmons could have managed to put a winning season together after going to the Alamo Bowl the year before, they probably would have moved on just like Miles and Johnson did.

Feb 19, 2005

I agree with you on everything except the stability thing.

There's stability right now, but if Gundy continues to go around .500, that will get things shaking.

Unless we're resolved to be a 6-6 program.

But, yes...LSU big wigs got some Karma bitch-slappin'.
hilarious Ostate, never heard the term "Karma bitch-slappin". I agree we need to win 8 every year with a 10 win season sprinkled in there evey now and then.

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado

Well, if you notice there was only one other HC on that list that left the program for a better position: Jim Stanley.

Also if you noticed the list, it was mentioned that Johnson and Miles were the only other one's that left us.

At the time, I don't think anyone considered Jim Stanley's leaving as crushing as Johnson or Miles.

Although we've only lost a couple of hot coaches, we were still viewed as a "stepping stone" or training program for college coaches. Also many of the assistants that were here went on to much greater things.

Still much better than a "Coach Killer" program like Baylor.

Sep 14, 2006
Oklahoma City

. . .
Unless we're resolved to be a 6-6 program. . .
Statements like this, coming from Cowboys football fans, are what I don't understand.

Why would a fan insinuate that Gundy, Holder, the players, Mr. Pickens, or anyone else who is a decision maker in football would be satisfied with .500 football year in and year out?

These type of statements are not based on objective evidence. The fans who say "we" are "happy with," or "satisfied with," mediocrity cannot produce one single quote from the oSu football decision makers to validate their claim, yet they too often continue to level the allegations that "we" are satisfied with mediocrity.

I challenge any fan who states that the decision makers in oSu football are happy, satisfied, or resolved to be a .500 football program to produce some hard, objective evidence in writing or sound bite that backs up their ludicrous claims.

And Ostateman, this is not directed at you personnally. Its just that I have seen these types of comments from dozens of fans during the entire season and it bugs me.;)

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah.... "stepping stone" is much better than "coach killer".

But I don't think we'll have to worry so much about that anymore even if Gundy does not work out for us. We've never had anything to offer a head coach in an attempt to get him to stay..... that is changing with every brick that is laid and every dollar that is donated.

Considering how bad everything was for a while at OSU, from facilities, to no budget, to lack of tradition, to having OU down the road.... it's amazing that we were even a "stepping stone" program because truthfully we probably should have been more of a "coach killer".

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK

I challenge any fan who states that the decision makers in oSu football are happy, satisfied, or resolved to be a .500 football program to produce some hard, objective evidence in writing or sound bite that backs up their ludicrous claims.

How do you categorize the one-year contract extension if it is not OK to be a .500 program? And you can save the rationalization about recruiting because that dog doesn't hunt -- Gundy was already signed through 2011.