ESPN Articles (Clark and Smart)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 8, 2009
Any pub is good pub?

Hasn't been the best of weeks for the Cowboy Basketball program. I guess I will defend clark and say outrage isn't that bad of a ticket. But at the same time, I wouldn't be putting myself in that situation if I were a scholarshiped athlete already on thin ice.

Attachments

Nov 12, 2010
People may not agree with this but I put this on Coach Ford. The great coaches will have some type of control of their program. Ford is not only embarrassing the basketball program but embarrassing the University IMO. That might seem like an outlandish claim but that's honestly how I feel at this point. We need to bite the financial bullet and he needs to go.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
People may not agree with this but I put this on Coach Ford. The great coaches will have some type of control of their program. Ford is not only embarrassing the basketball program but embarrassing the University IMO. That might seem like an outlandish claim but that's honestly how I feel at this point. We need to bite the financial bullet and he needs to go.
I don't think we can blame Ford for the decisions Clark has made, but at some point when, year after year, you're dealing with issues of retention - academic, disciplinary, burn out or otherwise - that has to reflect poorly on the coach, whoever he is. IMO, an athlete's character has got to play a big role in the recruiting process. If he's not going to succeed in Stillwater (or wherever else) in all aspects of life, that should give pause. I have no idea whether Ford focuses on that or not, but some of the bad apples sure make you wonder.

From an outsider's perspective there appear to be glaring systemic issues with this basketball program that point to a serious lack of quality control, vision, discipline, etc.

Jan 9, 2014
I don't think we can blame Ford for the decisions Clark has made, but at some point when, year after year, you're dealing with issues of retention - academic, disciplinary, burn out or otherwise - that has to reflect poorly on the coach, whoever he is. IMO, an athlete's character has got to play a big role in the recruiting process. If he's not going to succeed in Stillwater (or wherever else) in all aspects of life, that should give pause. I have no idea whether Ford focuses on that or not, but some of the bad apples sure make you wonder.

From an outsider's perspective there appear to be glaring systemic issues with this basketball program that point to a serious lack of quality control, vision, discipline, etc.
It's always something. It's about this time at umass that he bolted. Maybe he will do the same here. We have reached the ceiling I'm afraid.

TouchdownCowboys

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2009
In Your Computer
No way any fanbase would accept not recruiting the state player of the year due to character issues when no legal issues were known. The coach would be labeled an idiot or racist. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and this is one of them. Sure it hurts, but not that unusual for highly successful players when they face adversity after so much high school glory.

Orange Shadow

Banned
Banned
Oct 26, 2010
Highland Village, Texas
I'm not a psychiatrist, but I've seen this type of serial behavior before. If Clark did not have this type of behavioral issues in high school and they are just now manifestiing themsleves in his young life, then he may have some mental problems, i.e., bipolar. Just sayin'.

Jan 8, 2009
It's been an interesting run for Coach Ford. I'm ready for it to be over.

Since the first season, I saw signs of poor coaching and a lack of control over the players.

I do think Ford overlooks character issues when recruiting. He also hasn't handled internal issues as well as I think he could have.

Clark however did have character issues coming in, which is why Ford was so strict on him. Hell the kid was told not to go back to his hometown. There is only so much Ford can do.

But at the end of the day - I was cut from my 6th grade bball team so it's likely that I have no clue what I'm talking about. Damn Coach Stecker not seeing my true potential.

Redhawk

Rollin' bones at the Texaco
A/V Subscriber
Dec 5, 2011
Eufaula
I'm not a psychiatrist, but I've seen this type of serial behavior before. If Clark did not have this type of behavioral issues in high school and they are just now manifestiing themsleves in his young life, then he may have some mental problems, i.e., bipolar. Just sayin'.
I'm guessing that he didn't just start having these behaviors in August or at the beginning of the school year. I know people tend to get carried away when they move away from home but likely that wild streak was there before he made it to the campus.

Oct 6, 2009
Tulsa
Having seen the inside of multiple Top 25 NCAA basketball programs, I can say with absolute certainty that there is no amount of control that a head coach can put on his players that would accomplish the kind of of trouble-stopping limitations that you expect from Ford.

Jul 4, 2011
Lawton Okla
I never heard the sports animal criticize Ford of all coaches but today I heard a couple of people that have said Ford is not a good game day coach . Now I cant say I agree wth them but I think when we hired Travis we all assumed that he would be better then Sean but I think that maybe Travis Ford is a good recruiter but just not a good coach.

look at all the transfers and legal messes we have had recently.

I still haven't heard anything more on the Daryl Williams kid.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
No way any fanbase would accept not recruiting the state player of the year due to character issues when no legal issues were known. The coach would be labeled an idiot or racist. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and this is one of them. Sure it hurts, but not that unusual for highly successful players when they face adversity after so much high school glory.
I agree, but considering the rumbles about off the court issues on top of our long list of players during his tenure of acting a fool; you'd think the coach would put him in a tighter bubble instead of pissing out of windows at 4am and partying hard on New Years Eve...

Sep 24, 2004
Jenks, OK
Having seen the inside of multiple Top 25 NCAA basketball programs, I can say with absolute certainty that there is no amount of control that a head coach can put on his players that would accomplish the kind of of trouble-stopping limitations that you expect from Ford.
While I agree with you to an extent there is one way to control this as a HC and that is to recruit guys with better character. One here and there is going to happen but with Ford its a trend.

Nov 12, 2010
While I agree with you to an extent there is one way to control this as a HC and that is to recruit guys with better character. One here and there is going to happen but with Ford its a trend.
This is really what i was trying to get at. There's no way to put your players in a bubble and expect no trouble, but there's been a trend under Ford.

Aug 24, 2009

There was a time when at our University that we had bad seed come in and were able to turn them around. There are still coaches out there that are able to take on bad seeds and turn them around.....this reflects on the coach....accountability has to lie there at some point.