EPIC may lose their contract with the State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Man, what is the real story here?
I think that Epic execs are going to get caught up in a big fraud/embezzlement mess and the state is trying to distance themselves now.
Nah. It has now become the largest school district in the state and is eating the budget of other schools. They have been auditing this thing for years and haven’t found any. I know a lot of people in the department of Ed. They want the money back. Not stolen money. Enrollment money

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
So I played cards tonight and one of my buddies is a superintendent of what I would call a middle of the road school district. So I asked him about this and he essentially said that Epic is outperforming the pubs by achieving more while taking up less budget dollars, and that this is a ploy by the union to shut them down in OK. So take that for it’s worth.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
So I played cards tonight and one of my buddies is a superintendent of what I would call a middle of the road school district. So I asked him about this and he essentially said that Epic is outperforming the pubs by achieving more while taking up less budget dollars, and that this is a ploy by the union to shut them down in OK. So take that for it’s worth.
I know lots of admin and I have never heard union, or anyone marvel at their efficiency.

Nov 18, 2011
The Virtual Charter school board only voted in favor of proceeding because their attorney recommended it so that they could have a hearing to hear the other side as well. Epic is 90% of the reason that board exists. Epic is not going anywhere and the traditional B & M folks need to get used to it. They’re now the largest school district in the state and could write a check for the supposed money owed today if needed, but they’ll fight it because they disagree with the audit calculations. The audit was a joke, performed by a journalism major, full of opinion and conjecture. If the calculations were wrong the fault lies with the dept of Ed for approving and signing off on them.

Aside from 60,000 students and being the most efficient schools, Epic is now a huge employer in this state. They are so greedy with those tax dollars they pay their teachers on avg 20-25k more a year than brick and mortar. Yes, they spent 3 mil on advertising that the auditor didn’t like, but that had to be done to combat all the bullying from traditionals and the media. Now is probably the worst time for them to be trying to take down a virtual school. HA!

Nov 18, 2011
Pretty much right. The nature of a virtual school lends itself to being more efficient with less overhead, more per pupil spending, higher paid teachers all while getting less per pupil state funds than traditional schools. They are pulling students and teachers from traditional schools left and right.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Pretty much right. The nature of a virtual school lends itself to being more efficient with less overhead, more per pupil spending, higher paid teachers all while getting less per pupil state funds than traditional schools. They are pulling students and teachers from traditional schools left and right.
Thank you. This makes total sense.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't know how this is going to work out, but many in the independent teaching community seem to think it's going down...this is because of one thing, the media reporting negative targeting and biased stories about the audit and making the impression darker than reality. They have an agenda for large and government control of the education of our children and want to make it hard for you, as a parent, to direct your own children's education. They also, the Union, want to make it more difficult for teaching outside of their ranks. Having more options for education and more diversity is a good thing...except when those who want to control your Childs education and their mind get involved anyway. Independent and rational thought is a threat to big government...always was and always will be...God help us when we swing hard back the other way and if this big election allows that.