VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Now do destruction of property.
The nearly 1,500-word memo does not contain a single legal citation. No statutes or judicial decisions are mentioned. It’s as though it were written by someone who is blissfully unaware that there is an entire profession — lawyers — whose job is to give advice on whether particular actions are lawful or unlawful, and to provide legal arguments supporting their clients’ actions.
The broad policy laid out in the memo — stripping federal funding from various cities because the president disagrees with those cities’ policing policy — is unconstitutional.
The federal government may attach conditions to federal grants, and it may strip funding from states or localities that do not comply with those conditions. But its power to do so is not unlimited. As the Supreme Court explained in South Dakota v. Dole (1987), “if Congress desires to condition the States’ receipt of federal funds, it ‘must do so unambiguously ... enabl[ing] the States to exercise their choice knowingly, cognizant of the consequences of their participation.’”
A key word in this passage is “Congress.” The legislative branch may impose new conditions on federal grants, but Trump is not Congress. He may not.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I have a different view of family than this guy. Imagine cutting yourself and your children from the grandparents due to a campaign sign.
‘And then writing an article thinking your decision is worthy of merit.
https://twitter.com/guinanleo/status/1307111594837540869?s=21
One of the surest signs you are in a cult is if you have to cut off family and long time friends for not believing what you do.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
One of the surest signs you are in a cult is if you have to cut off family and long time friends for not believing what you do.
Yeah. Family members are never estranged for any other reason.

I agree the guy is overreacting, unless there’s more to that story. His Medium article was very short, not that informative, and not particularly well-written. But it’s a leap to compare his reaction to joining a cult.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

I agree the guy is overreacting, unless there’s more to that story. His Medium article was very short, not that informative, and not particularly well-written. But it’s a leap to compare his reaction to joining a cult.
Yeah. It more points to him being an emotional nit wit.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

We're dealing with this right now. My wife's aunts & uncles are hardcore conservatives, but won't leave our daughter alone on social media. She's even blocked them & they still manage to message her with constant political stuff. It's to the point now that it's a serious rift & my wife's had to ask them not to do it any more.

Scenarios like this are why I've been loath to talk politics or religion in casual conversation for most of my adult life. In my experience, you rarely change anyone's mind & these discussions tend to be more divisive than anything else. I also think I'm definitely not alone in just being fatigued by the politicization of every aspect of our lives today.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
We're dealing with this right now. My wife's aunts & uncles are hardcore conservatives, but won't leave our daughter alone on social media. She's even blocked them & they still manage to message her with constant political stuff. It's to the point now that it's a serious rift & my wife's had to ask them not to do it any more.

Scenarios like this are why I've been loath to talk politics or religion in casual conversation for most of my adult life. In my experience, you rarely change anyone's mind & these discussions tend to be more divisive than anything else. I also think I'm definitely not alone in just being fatigued by the politicization of every aspect of our lives today.
I have two separate Bible study/small groups where my wife and I are the only non -Trumpers. We just keep our mouths shut when politics eventually comes up. The perceptive ones in the group notice and tone down. Unfortunately, they are vastly outnumbered. It’s just not worth creating a wall there (ironically) that may be kore permanent than the political strife.

Still, if anything’s a cult, it’s QAnon. Antifa is a close second.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I have two separate Bible study/small groups where my wife and I are the only non -Trumpers. We just keep our mouths shut when politics eventually comes up. The perceptive ones in the group notice and tone down. Unfortunately, they are vastly outnumbered. It’s just not worth creating a wall there (ironically) that may be kore permanent than the political strife.

At least you know those people, lol.

I was buying a couple of storm doors @Lowe's the other day & the lady had to get all my contact info because the doors had to be ordered.

So a woman standing nearby & obviously listening in says "405, huh? Those idiots will vote for Trump again, just watch." I just kinda looked at her, dumbfounded, & said 'yeah, I'm here buying a couple of doors, I don't really care what your political opinions are & I didn't ask, so please leave me alone.'

There's a lot of things in 2020 that most of us have never experienced, but man, the constant unsolicited invocation of politics into EVERYTHING is way beyond old.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Similar but opposite sides of the political spectrum...the wife's step-mother if pretty far left and wouldn't leave our daughter alone on FB. My daughter was 18 and hadn't defined (still hasn't) her views but was going to vote in the 2018 mid-terms for her first election and the step-mother wouldn't leave her alone on FB so she ended up unfriending her which caused a big stink, of course. Step-mother wouldn't come to the house for Christmas that year due to the situation.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
At least you know those people, lol.

I was buying a couple of storm doors @Lowe's the other day & the lady had to get all my contact info because the doors had to be ordered.

So a woman standing nearby & obviously listening in says "405, huh? Those idiots will vote for Trump again, just watch." I just kinda looked at her, dumbfounded, & said 'yeah, I'm here buying a couple of doors, I don't really care what your political opinions are & I didn't ask, so please leave me alone.'

There's a lot of things in 2020 that most of us have never experienced, but man, the constant unsolicited invocation of politics into EVERYTHING is way beyond old.
Did you say "Ma'am... Do you realize what store you're in right now?? Are you TRYIN' to make a scene??" lol

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

The leader has not said something in general to the group or privately to those that keep it going? Your are better than me because I would let them know this probably not the place.