VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I actually had to look this up to see if this is what he said....sure enough

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1305570417873244160
He’s not wrong it’s just his way of saying they can “explode,” when he should just say they are highly combustible. He might not have that one in his vocabulary. He’s from Queen’s NY after all...give him a break.

He’s also not an environmentalist. But if we reduce the fuel then we reduce the fire. This is just truth. Over the past 150 years we haven’t managed the forest properly. We didn’t let smaller natural fires burn so that forest would be different ages. When forest are different ages they are more resistant to bugs. Bugs have killed a huge percentage of forest that sit dead. When they sit dead and finally fall no one is cleaning that up they should be harvested while standing. When they fall they are already very dry. Have you been to wolf creek pass over the past decade? The high altitude spruce and fir forest was old and mature, we didn’t get the very very cold winters (warming is real) and the bugs Flourished. Without the trees being different ages due to over fire management...we had a mass die off from the bugs eating old unfit trees. This is a combination effect...much like our politics the truth is in-between the two extremes.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I actually had to look this up to see if this is what he said....sure enough

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1305570417873244160
https://reason.com/2020/09/14/weste...ed-if-burdens-on-forest-management-are-eased/

Take controlled burns: fires that are lit on purpose, intentionally burning tinder to keep potentially larger, unintentional wildfires from finding fuel. Especially since the 1960s, efforts to extinguish all fires—even natural, low-impact forest fires that serve as nature's equivalent of a controlled burn—have made forests more susceptible to larger fires and have made controlled burns more and more necessary.

But the regulatory requirements one must meet before starting a controlled burn are complex and lengthy. According to Jonathan Wood, an attorney with the Pacific Legal Foundation and an adjunct fellow with the Property and Environment Research Center, the National Environmental Policy Act requires "a couple-thousand-page document analyzing every single conceivable impact to the environment that the plan might have." This is a public process, Wood adds, that "often results in litigation." There's even more paperwork when the controlled burn might overlap with areas designated as critical habitat for an endangered species.

"What you'll often find," Wood says, "is that there are projects which have been extremely well-vetted, which have been years in the work, there will be a 5,000-page document, which no one could conceivably ever read because it's so long and complicated, but then the project will still get put on hold for an indefinite period of time, because some special interest group filed a lawsuit." So much time is spent considering the ramifications of an action; little is spent considering the impact of doing nothing.

From 1999 to 2017, an average of 13,000 acres of California were subjected to controlled burns each year. In February 2020, Nature Sustainability published a report arguing that California needs to burn 20 million acres of forest in order to restore forest health.

The Clean Air Act of 1990 creates another obstacle. The law treat the smoke from a controlled, prescribed burn as a pollutant that must be analyzed and permitted before the burn can be done. The smoke from a wildfire is not similarly scrutinized. But needless to say, the environmental impact of a multi-state wildfire is much larger than that of a smaller controlled burn.

Nov 6, 2010
https://reason.com/2020/09/14/weste...ed-if-burdens-on-forest-management-are-eased/

Take controlled burns: fires that are lit on purpose, intentionally burning tinder to keep potentially larger, unintentional wildfires from finding fuel. Especially since the 1960s, efforts to extinguish all fires—even natural, low-impact forest fires that serve as nature's equivalent of a controlled burn—have made forests more susceptible to larger fires and have made controlled burns more and more necessary.

But the regulatory requirements one must meet before starting a controlled burn are complex and lengthy. According to Jonathan Wood, an attorney with the Pacific Legal Foundation and an adjunct fellow with the Property and Environment Research Center, the National Environmental Policy Act requires "a couple-thousand-page document analyzing every single conceivable impact to the environment that the plan might have." This is a public process, Wood adds, that "often results in litigation." There's even more paperwork when the controlled burn might overlap with areas designated as critical habitat for an endangered species.

"What you'll often find," Wood says, "is that there are projects which have been extremely well-vetted, which have been years in the work, there will be a 5,000-page document, which no one could conceivably ever read because it's so long and complicated, but then the project will still get put on hold for an indefinite period of time, because some special interest group filed a lawsuit." So much time is spent considering the ramifications of an action; little is spent considering the impact of doing nothing.

From 1999 to 2017, an average of 13,000 acres of California were subjected to controlled burns each year. In February 2020, Nature Sustainability published a report arguing that California needs to burn 20 million acres of forest in order to restore forest health.

The Clean Air Act of 1990 creates another obstacle. The law treat the smoke from a controlled, prescribed burn as a pollutant that must be analyzed and permitted before the burn can be done. The smoke from a wildfire is not similarly scrutinized. But needless to say, the environmental impact of a multi-state wildfire is much larger than that of a smaller controlled burn.
While I agree that better forest management could help this situation, have you ever seen Northern California?? I don't see how a controlled burn could even be possible there, I mean that country is RUGGED. I could totally see Sasquatch living there undetected.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Are we really defending the tobacco industry now? 1950 called, they want their mindset back.
No one is defending the tobacco industry, just pointing out its not in any way akin to abortion to die from smoking something you choose to smoke. Second hand smoking isn’t even similar because you can typically leave unless you are a child who’s parents are Morons then the morons are to blame not the cigarette. That’s like blaming “gun” violence on the gun.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I think you need to broaden your view a little more. What I see is more related to countries forming alliances as a counterweight to Iran.

We are seeing the same thing in the Indo-Pacific with talk of reforming The Quadrilateral Security Alliance between the US, Japan, Australia and India. Australia and India backed out around 2008 due to pressure from China but India and Australia are interested in rejoining. There is talk of the original 4 plus South Korea, Vietnam and New Zealand. We could be seeing the birth of the IndoPac NATO as a counter to China.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Japan-India-create-alliance-named-Quad.html

https://www.rand.org/blog/2020/07/the-quad-is-poised-to-become-openly-anti-china-soon.html

https://thediplomat.com/2020/09/how-china-strengthens-the-quad/

https://www.heritage.org/global-politics/report/the-quad-20-foundation-free-and-open-indo-pacific
It's important to remember for us that as much 'hate' as we get from the international community, everyone, especially those from EA/Oceania, is scared to death of China.

Toss in Mexico and Chile and you've essentially got the Trans-pac group that Trump scrapped back in 2016.

Dec 9, 2013
Question...why do we still hate Russia so much now that communism has fallen and they share a Western capitalistic world view (at least in theory)? Granted Putin is scummy with some of the military moves he's made and we need him done and gone, but shouldn't we try to work them out of their former world domination mindset and create them as a market (albeit it smaller) instead of China who seems to be much more of an issue these days in terms of their political world view, releasing covid accidentally and not sharing information? Honestly I don't know the answer, but this isn't the Soviet Union anymore...it's more like organized crime, sort of like Italy post WWII...who we worked into a partner rather than an enemy...Just some random thoughts...
Is this a serious ?. I get the China part but is there so much TGS going on that we think we should work w Russia? Let’s start w religious persecution. Then move on to the fact there are no freedoms in country. No free press. The govt oppresses it’s own people and even murders it’s own citizens especially opposition. Then let’s look at them internationally and their active involvement in taking down democracies not to mention their support of murderous regimes. Iran✅Syria✅NoKo✅
If Trump wins who thinks NATO survives. Then what happens to the rest of Ukraine not to mention Eastern Europe.

This is what I mean when I criticize your pro life stance. It has to be every life. Not just babies in the womb. But sure let’s work w a guy who kills his own people and persecutes our fellow brothers and sisters.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
https://twitter.com/Kyle_Feldscher/status/1306058315982544896
Not disagreeing with him, but that death rate is skewed; uses death #'s from April/May, we haven't hit those highs in months and with greater numbers of infected.
It would probably take less than half that number of dead. Still a lot, though.

Dec 9, 2013
How can anyone Democrat of Republican believe such undocumented stuff?
Bolton says it happened. The guy who cheated on 3 wives, can’t operate a charity in NY bc he defrauded kids w cancer & vets, had to pay a $25MM settlement bc he ran a scam Trump Univ, & said to grab women by the p*ssy bc if you’re a star they let you says it didn’t. I’m not a Bolton fan but if I had to bet who’s telling the truth I’ll go w John.