VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yes I do think burning buildings, destroying property, and stealing is worse than not wearing a mask ( I do wear a mask, but I don’t support jailing people that are caught without). Just like a hit and run is worse than a burned out headlight. I would hope you could weigh those as well.

I have zero idea about your comments on immigrants - assume you are confusing your reply meant for another.
What is your Take on Trump Admin's COVID testing head yesterday saying that Local officials may need to start taking "draconian measures" to enforce COVID prevention measures ?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I would suggest you read up on veritas a little more. They've not been discredited anywhere. In fact he's win several lawsuits against people trying to discredit him.
Also, many groups have attempted to test the news media (conservative and liberal) by putting forth fake stories. It's been done to scientific journals too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That doesn't excuse promoting falsehoods just because a few others do it. I would suggest you do some additional looking into them yourself. Hell, the very voter fraud video that was posted on here has been thoroughly debunked, but I bet more than half the posters on here still think it is true. Do you?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oter-fraud-scheme-link-ilhan-omar/3584614001/

Let's look at a few other times where he has bee caught maliciously editing videos and misleading people.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...re-targeted-undercover-group-proj/5807312002/

https://newrepublic.com/article/158622/inside-project-veritas-plan-steal-election

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/project-veritas-moore-washington-post-261023

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/10/18/project-veritas-election-videos/

ttps://www.mediamatters.org/james-okeefe/former-top-employee-project-veritas-pr-machine-okeefe

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/project-veritas/

Mar 11, 2006
What is your Take on Trump Admin's COVID testing head yesterday saying that Local officials may need to start taking "draconian measures" to enforce COVID prevention measures ?
I don't support government mandated lockdowns and closures of businesses. I don't support closing elementary and high schools. I don't support jailing people just for failing to wear a mask.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yes I do think burning buildings, destroying property, and stealing is worse than not wearing a mask ( I do wear a mask, but I don’t support jailing people that are caught without). Just like a hit and run is worse than a burned out headlight. I would hope you could weigh those as well.

I have zero idea about your comments on immigrants - assume you are confusing your reply meant for another.
Probably because I spend the day seeing the devastating results of not wearing a mask. How many times have you told a 30 year old, "I'm sorry you can't breathe, we are doing the best we can for you."
Personally, I'd rather fix a damn window. Humans are far more important than property. But that is just me.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

This post right here has an incredibly poor analogy, but it really shows where your values are. Possessions, which can be replaced and in many cases are covered under insurance, versus deaths and severe illness, some of which leaves those with permanent health issues. Death is final, is it not?

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This post right here has an incredibly poor analogy, but it really shows where your values are. Possessions, which can be replaced and in many cases are covered under insurance, versus deaths and severe illness, some of which leaves those with permanent health issues. Death is final, is it not?
"Possessions' include things like people's businesses. Disregarding & minimizing the loss of those 'really shows where your values are' also.

Mar 11, 2006
No it doesn't show a poor analogy (I truly hope you re-read what you typed and think a little more about it).
But it does show an unfortunate gap in values and understanding. Unfortunately, some people justify burning down buildings and destroying property and feel it is okay ... stating "they can be rebuilt". A famous quote from a rioter during the Minneapolis riots in June was "they have insurance". It is a sad view that some in our society have. Many people lack the core empathy to realize livelihoods are being destroyed.

Then on the other hand we have people that are overly dramatic. They see someone not wearing a mask and lack the ... what should be easy critical thinking ... to just go around them. They view someone not wearing a mask as killing them. If you are at risk ... don't go out to restaurants.

As I have said prior on the COVID thread, wearing a mask makes since to me. Especially in locations that require people to be closely located (airplanes, buses, subways, etc.). I wear a mask entering a restaurant and in the lobby of my gym, because I respect the right of the establishment to require those rules, but I do not think wearing a mask for 10 seconds while walking to a table and then taking it off for an hour while eating accomplishes much.

And death is final. "Pigs in a blanket, fry-em like bacon". Police officer David Dorn is not returning to this earth - and it wasn't because he happened to walk near someone not wearing a mask. The 7 people killed during rioting in Louisville is final -- and not because rioters were not wearing a mask.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
"Possessions' include things like people's businesses. Disregarding & minimizing the loss of those 'really shows where your values are' also.
No it doesn't show a poor analogy (I truly hope you re-read what you typed and think a little more about it).
But it does show an unfortunate gap in values and understanding. Unfortunately, some people justify burning down buildings and destroying property and feel it is okay ... stating "they can be rebuilt". A famous quote from a rioter during the Minneapolis riots in June was "they have insurance". It is a sad view that some in our society have. Many people lack the core empathy to realize livelihoods are being destroyed.

Then on the other hand we have people that are overly dramatic. They see someone not wearing a mask and lack the ... what should be easy critical thinking ... to just go around them. They view someone not wearing a mask as killing them. If you are at risk ... don't go out to restaurants.

As I have said prior on the COVID thread, wearing a mask makes since to me. Especially in locations that require people to be closely located (airplanes, buses, subways, etc.). I wear a mask entering a restaurant and in the lobby of my gym, because I respect the right of the establishment to require those rules, but I do not think wearing a mask for 10 seconds while walking to a table and then taking it off for an hour while eating accomplishes much.

And death is final. "Pigs in a blanket, fry-em like bacon". Police officer David Dorn is not returning to this earth - and it wasn't because he happened to walk near someone not wearing a mask. The 7 people killed during rioting in Louisville is final -- and not because rioters were not wearing a mask.
Nice attempt at a straw man you two. Go reread my post history where I excused or supported violent protests and property destruction. I'll wait.

@cableok you were the one who made the statement that not wearing a mask is less harmful than stealing. Well not wearing a mask can steal someone's life, and over 210k lives have been stolen. How many people were stolen from in the protests? I'll give you a hint, but it is nowhere close to that number, even running with that silly position.

Again, the fact you would even try to make that argument unprompted says something about your values. Its just bizzare.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
'Bar Rescue' host Jon Taffer says he was 'surprised' by Trump's plan to save the hospitality industry in their podcast interview

https://www.businessinsider.com/jon...erview-surprised-hospitality-industry-2020-10

After finishing up a podcast interview with President Donald Trump in Las Vegas on Wednesday morning, Taffer spoke with Insider about the impression Trump made on him and what the industry will need to bounce back from shutdowns and reduced demand.

Lahut: When you had your chat with the president, what kind of impression did he make? Was it the first time you had met him?

Taffer: Well, I had met him socially before, just a quick handshake many years ago. He was extremely personable, gracious, very kind to me, very interested in talking about the hospitality industry.

Lahut: And did he demonstrate a good grasp of not just the industry, but the policies around it and how things like the PPP (Paycheck Protection Program) loans have worked?

Taffer: Oh, very much so. The details that he spits out really surprised me. And I did an awful lot of homework to be prepared for the interview, knowing all the various stimulus proposals and all the numbers. He has exceptional recall and knowledge, the way he looks into your eyes and communicates with you. You can see that he has a great comfort in who he is. There's no question about that.

And if I could say anything that surprised me, it was — I expected him to be cordial, I expected him to be reasonably knowledgeable — but his graciousness and his level of knowledge were impressive.

Lahut: That's interesting. If you're tuning into the Trump rallies and paying attention to the news pretty closely, his messaging on the stimulus has been a little all over the place. And a lot of the issues he's prioritized this late in the campaign have been largely around Hunter Biden and other kinds of cultural issues. So was it your feeling after talking to him that this really is a priority for him?

Taffer: I believe — and he said this in the interview — that he feels that Nancy Pelosi and the other side is not going to do a deal until after the election. And so he's eager to get it done after the election, but I believe he's in a position in his mind right now where he feels that any effort before the election is not going to to be met by the other side.

Lahut: And did the president say anything else that caught your eye? Or if it didn't surprise you, did you at least take immediate note of it?

Taffer: A number of things, yeah. We were talking about the Employee Retention Credit, and his knowledge of that program is obviously extremely deep. And we talked about broadening that program to encompass more types of restaurants, and make that program far more encompassing, and he agreed with that and thought it was a good program.

You know, you mentioned earlier that it has been difficult to pin down these stimulus policies these past few weeks with all the noise of the campaign and such going on. That was the purpose of my interview. As a hospitality person, I wanted the president to articulate what his direct policy was with regards to stimulus for the hospitality industry. And I wanted those policies to be on the record, and front and center for my industry, for whether President Trump wins or Joe Biden wins — either way. I wanted to get these policies on the record somewhere in some place.

And we also sent out requests to the Biden camp to do the same interview. So there was nothing partisan in this whatsoever. This was strictly being an advocate for my industry and all my friends in my industry.

You know, you mentioned earlier that it has been difficult to pin down these stimulus policies these past few weeks with all the noise of the campaign and such going on. That was the purpose of my interview. As a hospitality person, I wanted the president to articulate what his direct policy was with regards to stimulus for the hospitality industry. And I wanted those policies to be on the record, and front and center for my industry, for whether President Trump wins or Joe Biden wins — either way. I wanted to get these policies on the record somewhere in some place.

And we also sent out requests to the Biden camp to do the same interview. So there was nothing partisan in this whatsoever. This was strictly being an advocate for my industry and all my friends in my industry.

So when I hear that all the tax cuts are going to go away, but I don't hear the rest of any kind of a plan, that scares the hell out of me. So I only know bits and pieces of the things that Biden has proposed. I don't understand his full program.

I'm a business advocate, and I'm talking to you, Jake, trying to protect and support small businesses across America. And I worry, because I don't understand the full program of Biden. And then I'm concerned that there's, you know, layers of things that could have a negative impact on business that I don't understand yet. And when I hear about energy changes and tax raises, and possibly payroll tax increases — when I hear these types of things, they're layered on top of each other, and it scares me. Now that might be wrong as an assumption, but my point is, I don't know. I don't know what Biden is going to do.

Now with President Trump, he's been there for four years, so I know. I understand that business taxes are not going to go up. I have a greater understanding of the Trump agenda, which makes me more comfortable. And I'm being non-political in this statement.

Jake: Any final takeaways from chatting with the president?

Taffer: There were four points that he put on the table as commitments from him, as far as his intentions for the industry. The first was to broaden the scope of the employee retention tax credit. The second was to either extend or reintroduce a PPP program that also covered debt. The third — and this was a biggie — was to reintroduce the business lunch tax credit, and implementing that immediate business meal write off, I'm excited about that move. I think that would have a positive impact on the business. And then the fourth thing that he committed to was the domestic travel incentive program. And that's a program that would incentivize any type of domestic air travel. And that's really important to destinations like Las Vegas, Miami, and business markets like New York, Los Angeles.

So those four elements were commitments that I got that now I can understand how the policies toward the hospitality industry will flow in the Trump administration. And I'm hoping that in the next few days, we can either sit down or do a Skype interview with Vice President Biden and ask the same questions.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
That's weird, I see a mix of both in all generations. I see a lot of older people with a distrust in social media in general and fact check it all. I see a lot of young kids that are swayed by every little utterance from a celebrity on social media no matter how wrong it is.

That's weird, I see a lot of older people with mistrust in media so just label it as fake news. I see a lot of people who are swayed be every little utterance from a POTUS no matter how wrong it is.

Mar 11, 2006
Nice attempt at a straw man you two. Go reread my post history where I excused or supported violent protests and property destruction. I'll wait.

@cableok you were the one who made the statement that not wearing a mask is less harmful than stealing. Well not wearing a mask can steal someone's life, and over 210k lives have been stolen. How many people were stolen from in the protests? I'll give you a hint, but it is nowhere close to that number, even running with that silly position.

Again, the fact you would even try to make that argument unprompted says something about your values. Its just bizzare.
Interesting reply. You stated possessions are covered by insurance ...and you state we are making a straw man? We replied to what you stated.

You realize there were nearly 10K BLM protests this year. Over 7% violent. Maybe your ire should be on all those people getting together and potentially spreading the virus? Were they not the real super-spreader events? Or on elected officials who prohibited contact tracing of protests? I am sure you saw the video of the riots in Philly of people burning buildings and looting Walmart. Should they be arrested for not wearing a mask instead of looting? I have stated on another thread, is it just a weird coincidence that Tulsa’s surge started right after the several BLM protests in the city?

Sorry, but destroying people’s lives and businesses are never justified. The fact you continue to attempt to defend is unfortunate.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Bet you wouldn't have to worry about a Biden sign getting stolen from your yard, your tires knifed, your cars having rocks thrown at them, or people coming up to you and just punching you because of a hat or shirt you are wearing supporting Biden.
Name calling, however immature, is not what is being spoken of here.

you cannot be serious...it appears you think only Biden supporters would steal, knife, rock, yell, or punch...Trump supporters are angels...this is almost laughable, but also sad that you actually think this way.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I thank God every single day that it's not. That's the Good News of the Gospel.
https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/death-is-not-the-end-of-life

Also, as a reminder, these "protest, looting, and riots" have also resulted in Deaths and Murders.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I haven’t checked this thread in exactly two weeks. There were 172 pages on last check October 14. Now there’s 256. 84 pages in 2 weeks. It started on august 18th. It took 58 days to get to 172 and 14 more days to get to 256.

2.964 pages per day leading up to today when I looked. 172/58. BUT... from October 14 to now, there were an additional 84 pages in 14 days giving a rate of 6 pages per day. 84/14.

What has changed in the political landscape for y’all to double up your 2020 election posts in the past 2 weeks?

Last I saw, there were 3,440 posts. Now 5,118. Has anyone changed their mind yet? Any undecided?

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Talk about straw men, good grief.

I"m not reading through your whole post history to discern what you 'really' meant with your comment. I responded to the simple comment you made, that's it. Perhaps you should be more clear about what you mean, rather than fall back on your post history.

You framed it in that comment as one choice: property vs. deaths & illness. It's October, not March, that's clearly not the only choice now.

Again, values moderator, it says a lot about your values, too, when you can't recognize there's a need for balance regarding the two.

People ARE going to get this virus, people WILL die from it. What's the goal now? ZERO cases? Save the hospitals? What?

Some of you spouting off about killing hospitals are seeing one side of the equation here. Our hospital lost $16 million in the first quarter of the year. Why? We couldn't do any business, that's why, because people with blinders on were trying to 'save' us, without any recognition of the unintended consequences of the lockdown policies.

We built 3 field hospitals in Colorado with thousands of beds that went unused, & then we deconstructed 2 of them 3 weeks ago. They're gone now. Pardon me if I question, for a moment, the vision of our leadership(s) during this pandemic when they didn't see the need for additional beds 3 weeks ago??? You can't make this stuff up.

Again, don't care about your post history enough to go through it. Fairly certain you were on here telling us all of the things it would be impossible to do again back in April, but thankfully, not everyone in the world is cowed by fear.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
For me, Joe Biden is the poster boy for all the things wrong about our political system. A vote for Joe is a vote for the status quo.

We don't need any more Bidens, Clintons, Bushes, etc.. And we certainly don't need either party dominating the executive and both the house and the senate. What we need is more and better choices.

My hope is that Trump winning will shake up the status quo, maybe spring forth new parties and new choices. Make the Dems and Reps realize they cannot just trot out the same old tired crap every 4 years.

Trump has appears to have diversified the Rep base more than any other Rep and that is good thing. Especially diversity of thought.

If people like us who share a common interest and love of all things Orange can't agree, then what hope do we have for people who don't share a common bond.

Remember.. the most important things in life happen outside politics.

May God have mercy on us all.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Interesting reply. You stated possessions are covered by insurance ...and you state we are making a straw man? We replied to what you stated.

You realize there were nearly 10K BLM protests this year. Over 7% violent. Maybe your ire should be on all those people getting together and potentially spreading the virus? Were they not the real super-spreader events? Or on elected officials who prohibited contact tracing of protests? I am sure you saw the video of the riots in Philly of people burning buildings and looting Walmart. Should they be arrested for not wearing a mask instead of looting? I have stated on another thread, is it just a weird coincidence that Tulsa’s surge started right after the several BLM protests in the city?

Sorry, but destroying people’s lives and businesses are never justified. The fact you continue to attempt to defend is unfortunate.
This is a pretty pointless conversation, as most are with you. There is a formula to most of our interactions. Lets take a look at it:
Step 1: Throw a hot take statement out there.
Step 2: Refuse to acknowledge the hot take statement and set up a straw man instead.
Step 3: Beat down that straw man and refuse to acknowledge the initial comment you made that was off base, and not providing any evidence.

You have to learn that it is ok to admit being wrong. Doubling down on an illogical and ethically poor position isn't noble or smart. Its just foolhardy and stubborn.

Last edited:

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Talk about straw men, good grief.

I"m not reading through your whole post history to discern what you 'really' meant with your comment. I responded to the simple comment you made, that's it. Perhaps you should be more clear about what you mean, rather than fall back on your post history.

You framed it in that comment as one choice: property vs. deaths & illness. It's October, not March, that's clearly not the only choice now.

Again, values moderator, it says a lot about your values, too, when you can't recognize there's a need for balance regarding the two.

People ARE going to get this virus, people WILL die from it. What's the goal now? ZERO cases? Save the hospitals? What?

Some of you spouting off about killing hospitals are seeing one side of the equation here. Our hospital lost $16 million in the first quarter of the year. Why? We couldn't do any business, that's why, because people with blinders on were trying to 'save' us, without any recognition of the unintended consequences of the lockdown policies.

Again, don't care about your post history enough to go through it. Fairly certain you were on here telling us all of the things it would be impossible to do again back in April, but thankfully, not everyone in the world is cowed by fear.
My point is that lives are more important than possessions, that is it. To the average american, COVID is the far bigger threat to their life and wellbeing, not a few violent protests. Which one have we completely changed how we live our lives around and is making a resurgence? Unless you live in a small number of cities in very specific areas, its COVID.

If you want to make an argument about my previous positions, be accurate in your depiction of them. If you don't care enough to be accurate on the premise and don't want to look it up, don't bother making the point in the first place. A straw man is a straw man, even if poor memory or laziness is the reason for it.