VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That looks suspiciously like something you'd find on wikipedia which is only citing voting age population instead of voting eligible population as it claims. i.g. in 2016, there were 250 million people over 18, yes, but only 230 million of them were eligible to vote. So, 55% of adults voted, but actually over 60% of eligible voters voted in 2016. And in 2008, what you posted above of 229 million eligible votes is also just the voting age population, but the voting eligible population was closer to 213 million. The sources i used is the US Elections project and another presidency project by UCSB which has nearly the exact same numbers.

Just looking at the last 50 years the two highest are 2008 at 61.65% and 2016 at 60.1%.

So that was forefront on my mind. Lately it has not helped the incumbent party. 3 of the top 5 highest voter turnouts by eligibility went against the incumbent party. Those being 08, 16, and 92. But it's happened 6 times out of 10 elections. So me saying 'not usually' is more accurate than the sentiment you are projecting in your post though.

For posterity the top 10 highest voter turnout elections, as a percentage of eligible voters

1. 2008: Barack Obama v John McCain (61.65%)
  2. 2016: Donald Trump v Hillary Clinton (60.1%)
  3. 2004: George W. Bush v John Kerry (60.1%)
  4. 2012: Barack Obama v Mitt Romney (58.6%)
  5. 1992: Bill Clinton v George W. H. Bush (58.1%)
  6. 1972: Richard Nixon v George McGovern (56.2%)
  7. 1984: Ronald Reagan v Walter Mondale (55.2%)
  8. 1976: Jimmy Carter v Gerald Ford (54.8%)
  9. 1980: Ronald Reagan v Jimmy Carter (54.2%)
  10. 2000: George W. Bush v Al Gore (54.2%)
On your list of 10 the incumbent lost #5 and #9........ below average...
Don’t forget 08, 16 and 00. It’s the incumbent party I was referencing. Not all incumbents can run for re-election as you know.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So some of you are going to vote for an old senile guy who is no longer campaigning and actually said they have the biggest "voter fraud" organization in history...his words not mine. I'd abstain before I'd vote for Biden and the Democrat's. Honestly what in the hell.

A vote for freedom is a vote for the R's. Don't vote for shutdowns and a continuation of the Covid crap. We need a vaccine and treatments and we need to open up the blue states not continue to shut them down and continue to scare the public when all we need to do is be safe and careful and OPEN THE HECK UP.

If you want a better life, lower taxes, and a continuation of real American progress...then vote for Trump, Policy over Personality...IF you indeed want higher taxes, a continued and expanded lock down, and an economic downturn...by all means then vote for Biden.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
So some of you are going to vote for an old senile guy who is no longer campaigning and actually said they have the biggest "voter fraud" organization in history...his words not mine. I'd abstain before I'd vote for Biden and the Democrat's. Honestly what in the hell.

A vote for freedom is a vote for the R's. Don't vote for shutdowns and a continuation of the Covid crap. We need a vaccine and treatments and we need to open up the blue states not continue to shut them down and continue to scare the public when all we need to do is be safe and careful and OPEN THE HECK UP.

If you want a better life, lower taxes, and a continuation of real American progress...then vote for Trump, Policy over Personality...IF you indeed want higher taxes, a continued and expanded lock down, and an economic downturn...by all means then vote for Biden.
You finally talked me into switching my vote...good argument and persuasive words...Trump now has my vote...lol

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You finally talked me into switching my vote...good argument and persuasive words...Trump now has my vote...lol
OMB...voting against a candidate rather than for an agenda isn't logical. But enjoy screwing up everything that was built before a fishy election year pandemic threw a wrench into all things American.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
OMB...voting against a candidate rather than for an agenda isn't logical. But enjoy screwing up everything that was built before a fishy election year pandemic threw a wrench into all things American.
Please tell that to all who vote on one issue, like abortion.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Please explain "fishy election year pandemic"
China in trade war..."accidentally" releases covid from Wuhan lab...no virus in capital, do they have a vaccine in Beijing.. cancels intra country travel and locks down Wuhan...BUT doesn't cancel worldwide travel from Wuhan Province. Liberal "World" leaders don't like Trump for making allies pay fair share...china most certainly doesn't like Trump for threating their stranglehold on American product production and trade...and calling them out on their monetary "policy," south china sea islands and other issues. Fishy timing is fishy. That's easy to explain, Trump was a "shoe in" prior to virus. Don't know if factual, but certainly fishy timing.