VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Pay our fair share? What is that exactly?

Your first sentence is factually inaccurate. The top 1% pay nearly 40% of all income taxes. The top 5% pay nearly 60% of all income taxes. Looks to me they overpay their fair share. Unfortunately too many people don’t know those facts and continue to say the rich don’t pay their fair share.
Please, you're not telling me anything i dont already know. Fair share is the amount you are supposed to pay based on a percentage of your income. That's a simple concept. It's not the raw number, it's the percentage of your income. I'd like to see how many billionaires who pay a 20% federal income tax rate, i bet it's a low number. Even a mega rich person paying 1% will still pay substantially more taxes than a regular person paying 20%. Doesnt mean they are paying their fair share. Wouldnt it be nice if you only paid 1% , or less?

Due to their massive incomes, the top 1% shoulder the main burden in terms of the overall amount, but many of those 1%ers are just like trump, and manage to are able to finagle their finances so they pay a low percentage of it. So its clear that not everyone who lives in the 1% pays a lot of tax. Thats #1. #2, Those that do pay, actually seem to pay a lot but that's a result of their exorbitant incomes. But at the end of the day, for many in the 1% (or even the 5%), the percentage if their income that they pay in taxes is generally still lower than what you or I pay. So, no it's not factually false. I mean what percentage of income do you think trump paid in federal income tax? $750 based on what i would assume is substantially more than the 40 million we know about from his DC hotels in 2017. So the burden falls on to everyone else.

I dont even like biden but he reported an income of just under 1 million last year and paid over $300k in taxes. That is an example of what fair share looks like. I dislike harris vehemently, almost as much as i dislike trump. she and her husband reported 3 million of income and paid 1.2 million in federal tax. I know, not everyone in the 1% avoids paying their fair share. Sucks that i have to show you some dirty dang democrats as a good example of people who pay their dadgum taxes.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
All of that to say "Just like Trump you pay in taxes what the IRS says you owe".

And by the way the constitution doesn't say the election of the President is decided by the popular vote. For a very good reason, we aren't a Democracy.
This part of the constitution is interesting.

“And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.”

Emolument definition - a salary, fee, or profit from employment or office.

Do you think China renting out entire floors from Trump's business could fall into this category?
Or Jared Kushner who holds an office under Trump getting millions in loans from Saudi Arabia?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
All of that to say "Just like Trump you pay in taxes what the IRS says you owe".

And by the way the constitution doesn't say the election of the President is decided by the popular vote. For a very good reason, we aren't a Democracy.
I am well aware of how the electoral process works.

“And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.”

Do you think China renting out entire floors from Trump's business could fall into this category?
Or Jared Kushner who holds an office under Trump getting millions in loans from Saudi Arabia?
I havent met a trump lover who cares.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Which President left or will leave office 30X richer than entering it ?

That would be Mr Obama. Go ahead and fact check that one !
You mean his incredible net worth after leaving office? That happens when you can get $500,000 for a 30 minute speech. While in office, his book sales shot through the roof. I thikn he made like 15 million off of them. That's a lot of dough for a guy whose senate salary was under 300k. I guess he was kind of a big deal for some people who wanted to read his books.

Speaking of books, you know what's funny? mary trump wrote a book that was published this year and it already sold more copies than donny trump's art of the deal in just 1 week. lol.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Funny but illegal I would think. Although if his taxes and stuff do go up due to bid and getting into office and his policies he's more than warranted to at least raise them some.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Oh man, a real knee slapper. Strong arming votes. Admittedly illegal. But man is it funny.

Signed,
GOP
Yeah it's funny I mean can you find the humor in some things? I mean that's kind of dark humor I guess but I find it funny.
And as I admit in my comment I don't know if it's illegal or not.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yes it is. My post was sarcasm. People were saying this was Russia feeding Rudy lies and no other news organization would touch the story. They specifically even used Fox as an example. Posters on this very board actually.
I’m not sure there are any other talking points besides people closing their eyes, sticking their fingers in their ears, and screaming “I can’t hear you!” And the reason I say that is, it’s clear Joe Biden is actually guilty of doing what we heard for 3+ years that Trump had done. And supposedly that was worthy of Trump being impeached and he & members of his family being perp walked into the federal pen. So once people concede that these emails are real, there’s no serious way they can say Biden is a better choice over Trump. So you are going to see people continue to say this isn’t true and try to deflect by pointing out that Trump has foreign bank accounts and Rudy is in the new Borat film. It’s basically prevent defense until the election by the left and the MSM. And if Biden wins look for this scandal to be used pretty quickly to get him out and Harris in.
Honestly I don't think they need this to get by now. somebody just has to remove his medication and let him go downhill quickly and then they just trot in the 25th amendment and he's gone.

Aug 16, 2012
No, but I see you found completely absurd hyperbole.
You are clearly sensitive about this issue for some strange reason. It was four years ago. Other than the people that want to change the EC, nobody else cares. Certainly, nobody cares about the very minor difference between saying "Americans that voted" and "American votes" when there is absolutely no evidence it would have changed anything at all.
You are amusing.
First, I just pointed out the fact that the statement was incorrect. It is you and toker that are clearly sensitive about it as you would have dismissed the comment otherwise. Instead, you have beat it into the ground. It is a sore spot for the left and your "nobody cares" argument is disingenuous and you know it.

"Other than the people that want to change the EC"? Are you delusional? To begin with, changing the EC was part of the platform for roughly half of the prior Democratic candidates, is repeated frequently by Pelosi, and is making the press as recently as last weekend with Schiff. Phrasing it the way toker used it, as is a common left comment not just here but on the national scene, is a false statement used to validate what many believe to be a stolen election. Hyperbole? Get serious. This is exactly the type of incorrect statements that get disseminated ad nauseum which influence the ignorant, yet it is hyperbole? Your argument about it being inconsequential is so weak, you even question the length of my replies....but you are the one who will not let it go.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Was it a present?
Was it a salary?
Was it an office?
Was it a title?
Was it employment?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This is a lack of knowledge regarding taxes. Do you fill out a tax form? Just curious.

What we pay in taxes is do to acts of Congress and the Presidents Administration. Biden has had more influence in the tax code than Trump has. So, what Trump paid in taxes was more Biden's fault. The only thing that would have been Trumps would be if he broke the law Biden helped write.
I dont lack knowledge on how taxes work. But that's irrelevant, even a dimwit has enough sense to know 188k is more than 750. All you need are a pair of eyeballs to see that. I am not disparaging why, yet you seem to feel the need to defend why your boy sent 750 in taxes to his own country but sent 188,000 to the chinese communists he claims to hate so much. I know why, because it's a bad look. If it wasnt a bad look you wouldnt feel it necessary to defend yet another round of bad publicity for your king.

Personally, I dont care why, it doesnt matter why. It just is what it is. He paid more money to the chinese communists in taxes than his own country. And that's before we get into his chinese bank account. imagine obama having a chinese bank account while potus. lol. he'd be called beijing barry.
Dude you're behind the times if you're still trying to bring up $750 in tax burden versus the fact that he sent in millions of dollars in actual money to the government.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I dont lack knowledge on how taxes work. But that's irrelevant, even a dimwit has enough sense to know 188k is more than 750. All you need are a pair of eyeballs to see that. I am not disparaging why, yet you seem to feel the need to defend why your boy sent 750 in taxes to his own country but sent 188,000 to the chinese communists he claims to hate so much. I know why, because it's a bad look. If it wasnt a bad look you wouldnt feel it necessary to defend yet another round of bad publicity for your king.

Personally, I dont care why, it doesnt matter why. It just is what it is. He paid more money to the chinese communists in taxes than his own country. And that's before we get into his chinese bank account. imagine obama having a chinese bank account while potus. lol. he'd be called beijing barry.
Didn’t Trump not take his entire $400K salary. $400,750 seems more than $750.
To be truthful he honestly is donated his salary every quarter to a different charity.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Dude you're behind the times if you're still trying to bring up $750 in tax burden versus the fact that he sent in millions of dollars in actual money to the government.

I wonder if he knows everyone is laughing at him because he only paid what the owed in taxes?