VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yes, I'm interested...many people believe China released it from a lab on accident, others believe it was on purpose...some believe it was a natural occurrence in the wet market. I honestly have no idea, but want to know if it was malicious...my doctor, speaking without his medical hat on, thinks it was created in the lab and wants to know why the capital had zero cases...he thinks they had a vaccine in Beijing all along.

Like I said, I have NO idea and NO factual opinion but people I trust think it was malicious or at least folly by the CCP.
40,000 People "canceled" their cell service in Wuhan during the original outbreak (40,000 people in one city cancel their cell phone service within weeks of each other???). The Govt set up 3 "field Hospitals" (there were nothing more than shipping containers with tents over them..and they set them up in 10 days!!~???).. in the city where people were tested individually and then removed by force to the field hospitals if they tested positive and their families welded shut in their homes?

I would bet it was something that accidently escaped a lab in Wuhan. No clue if it was man made, enhanced or what....but I bet there wasn't a vaccine in Beijing. Dead people don't spread viruses

My best guess. It was something that got out that shouldn't have and the Chinese Govt clamped down on it very fast, and I'm afraid they may have killed people who had it and removed all evidence in the shipping containers they used as a field hospital when they picked them up and moved them.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
40,000 People "canceled" their cell service in Wuhan during the original outbreak (40,000 people in one city cancel their cell phone service within weeks of each other???). The Govt set up 3 "field Hospitals" (there were nothing more than shipping containers with tents over them..and they set them up in 10 days!!~???).. in the city where people were tested individually and then removed by force to the field hospitals if they tested positive and their families welded shut in their homes?

I would bet it was something that accidently escaped a lab in Wuhan. No clue if it was man made, enhanced or what....but I bet there wasn't a vaccine in Beijing. Dead people don't spread viruses

My best guess. It was something that got out that shouldn't have and the Chinese Govt clamped down on it very fast, and I'm afraid they may have killed people who had it and removed all evidence in the shipping containers they used as a field hospital when they picked them up and moved them.
This is probably it.
People that died because of COVID in China is probably a couple thousand. People who died with COVID positive tests is probably 20 million

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

That's a good explanation. Why do you suppose they didn't allow others from the outside to help or study the virus prior to it getting out of Wuhan? Also, why (if true as reported), do you think they shut down travel inside the country from Wuhan but not internationally once they knew (once again I've heard this and don't know if it's even accurate or true)?

Also, do you think our CIA actually knows what happened? If so, why isn't it being reported? If it was a sort of bipartisan briefing that could do wonders for our nation at least more unity on action related to the virus. If it was on purpose we should know...if it was a mistake we should also know...if it was just a natural occurrence in the wet market...that we should also know. Certainly one is more sinister than the others, but it would be good for all of us to be firm on the truth of the origin of the virus and China's calculability level.

Early on the POTUS implied that it accidentally got out...later he has implied it's their "fault." Not sure if anything he says is truth or if he speaks truth and is then hushed by the Intelligence community after the fact? One thing seems fairly certain, we may not have any aliens at area 51 or Trump would have likely already disclosed that.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Majority of Americans Predict Trump Will Win Reelection
Regardless of whom they personally support, 56% of Americans expect Trump to prevail over Biden in the November election, while 40% think Biden will win. Although majorities of partisans think their party's candidate will win, Republicans are more likely to believe Trump will win (90%) than Democrats are to think Biden will (73%). Fifty-six percent of independents predict that Trump will win.

Regardless of whom you support, and trying to be as objective as possible, who do you think will win the election in November?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
That's a good explanation. Why do you suppose they didn't allow others from the outside to help or study the virus prior to it getting out of Wuhan? Also, why (if true as reported), do you think they shut down travel inside the country from Wuhan but not internationally once they knew?

Also, do you think our CIA actually knows what happened? If so, why isn't it being reported? If it was a sort of bipartisan briefing that could do wonders for our nation at least on the virus.
Saving Face is a DEEP rooted Cultural thing in China. Avoiding bringing shame or regret. It is so important to the culture it is one of the biggest motivational factors in doing business in China. People will actually kill themselves if they do anything to cross it.

#1 I think the people at the lab were trying to save face
#2 when they failed I believe the military moved in and took drastic measures to save face
#3 The Chinese Govt will always do what they think will save face in front of the world.

If the Chinese Govt were to let others outside China in to help with what was going on in Wuhan they would have lost face in front of their entire country and the country would have called on them to restore their face...IE step down, exile or kill themselves

Again on the Travel....they restricted the travel in their own country to try to contain it to China and not lose face to the World. Hence, global travelers welcome in a "all is ok in China" and a policy for Chinese not to travel in their own country because they knew a huge outbreak in China from travel would disgrace the entire country

I think they took the extreme method and executed their own citizens in an attempt to save face to the World

Here is a great article on everyday society in China and the idea of Saving Face or Losing Face

https://www.tripsavvy.com/saving-face-and-losing-face-1458303

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Yes, I'm interested...many people believe China released it from a lab on accident, others believe it was on purpose...some believe it was a natural occurrence in the wet market. I honestly have no idea, but want to know if it was malicious...my doctor, speaking without his medical hat on, thinks it was created in the lab and wants to know why the capital had zero cases...he thinks they had a vaccine in Beijing all along.

Like I said, I have NO idea and NO factual opinion but people I trust think it was malicious or at least folly by the CCP. Nearly everyone understands that they attempted to "save face," in the very least.
First, where did I give my opinion in the quote? That entire section you underlined is from The Hollywood Reporters review of the film. I posted that section because THR seems to think the "gotcha" moment is due to editing.

Second, there was an article in one of the UK papers back in March (posted somewhere on this site) about the lab in Wuhan which I believe is the most likely scenario. IIRC, they used interviews/reports that the lab had been studying the virus and the bats. Employees had been in frequent contact with the animals, had been bitten and had been exposed to the bats blood. Also some reports that once the lab had finished with animals rather than discard them appropriately some employees would occasionally take them to the wet market and sell them to vendors to supplement their income. I don't believe it was created and/or modified in the lab by man, I think it's more likely that lab employees were exposed to the virus multiple times and it finally made the jump to humans.

Oct 30, 2007
This really is embarrassing & desperate. It takes 30 seconds to find the real facts on this kind of stuff.

Let me get this straight. A 24 year old actress posing as a TV reporter invited him back to her hotel room for a drink after an interview, and then Sasha Cohen jumped out and said "she's 15, she's too old for you." Now they're using his name, image, & likeness in a major motion picture without his consent?

I don't see this ending well for the production company.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I voted by drop off mail in ballot. Drove through and handed it to workers with 0 wait time. My county in CO has 10 drop off sites. With a population of about 1/100th of Harris county in TX.
45,000 in a county is a low population density, how many towns?

My wait was less than 10 min...just never had to wait during early voting before. The site was well staffed and everyone got finger condoms for signing the touch screen and working the E-Slate. Had a first time voter behind me and the staff did a great job of walking them through the process.

Edit: I believe Harris County passed the 1 million mark for early voters yesterday.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
First, where did I give my opinion in the quote? That entire section you underlined is from The Hollywood Reporters review of the film. I posted that section because THR seems to think the "gotcha" moment is due to editing.

Second, there was an article in one of the UK papers back in March (posted somewhere on this site) about the lab in Wuhan which I believe is the most likely scenario. IIRC, they used interviews/reports that the lab had been studying the virus and the bats. Employees had been in frequent contact with the animals, had been bitten and had been exposed to the bats blood. Also some reports that once the lab had finished with animals rather than discard them appropriately some employees would occasionally take them to the wet market and sell them to vendors to supplement their income. I don't believe it was created and/or modified in the lab by man, I think it's more likely that lab employees were exposed to the virus multiple times and it finally made the jump to humans.
Yeah, I'm not interested in the Borat thing or really Rudy's comments at all...just how you and others think the virus happened and why we don't really know nearly a full year later. What you said is also a logical explanation, just don't understand why we don't know for sure what exactly happened. If the US intelligence people know it should be public knowledge by now. I'm assuming the CCP knows because of the actions binman described. You both kind of fall where the POTUS originally described it...negligence by China (the CCP) and at the very least some sort of coverup.

Btw, I think you are both pretty close to the truth...but our inquiring minds really should know the whole truth on something that has taken our lives by storm like the virus. To me this is the biggest issue in our country today...not Hunters emails NOR Rudy's supposed "sexcapade." You want to sway voters AND calm the country tell us the whole truth about the virus that has divided us, killed American's, and destroyed livelihoods. My theory is that we still don't know....but as binman described they sure were able to mobilize quickly for a communist country and they sure shut down the people of Wuhan promptly. Kind of scary in their military like preparedness and response time.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Let's not forget they literally surrounded Wuhan with the military to prevent anyone from getting out. When they "re-opened" the city the gov't allowed people in but they couldn't leave.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yeah, I'm not interested in the Borat thing or really Rudy's comments at all...just how you and others think the virus happened and why we don't really know nearly a full year later. What you said is also a logical explanation, just don't understand why we don't know for sure what exactly happened. If the US intelligence people know it should be public knowledge by now. I'm assuming the CCP knows because of the actions binman described. You both kind of fall where the POTUS originally described it...negligence by China (the CCP) and at the very least some sort of coverup.

Btw, I think you are both pretty close to the truth...but our inquiring minds really should know the whole truth on something that has taken our lives by storm like the virus. To me this is the biggest issue in our country today...not Hunters emails NOR Rudy's supposed "sexcapade." You want to sway voters AND calm the country tell us the whole truth about the virus that has divided us, killed American's, and destroyed livelihoods.
Well we know that the US at one point had scientist in Wuhan at the Bio Weapons Lab that may be ground zero....I HIGHLY doubt the US would end that relationship.

It would not surprise me to learn that the CIA knew what was going on and the Trump admin knew what was going on from the beginning. Remember Trump multiple times has said he didn't want to panic the US people. In my opinion the CIA was on the ground at the start, knew how deadly this thing was, turned a blind eye to what the Chinese Govt was doing to their own people to try to control it before it left China. I also believe that the CIA and the Trump Admin kept it under wraps in an attempt to not only keep panic from happening in the US but also the entire world to avoid an entire collapse of the World Economic system and global chaos.

I think this is where Trump's anger with China over the thing comes from. I think the CIA and the Trump admin knew what was going on when it first broke out and were promised by the Chinese govt they would handle it and it would not leave China and then China failed on that promise and it became the World's and more importantly to Trump his problem to deal with on his own shores. I think Trump was under the impression China was getting it under control, and banning travel from China would be all he needed to do as the Chinese Govt was killing people in China who had it. Little did anyone know it was already running gangbusters through Italy after being imported from China and from there the rest of the world.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
How many of those states that he won was he actually ahead in the polls?
Depends on which poll you are looking at. Trafalgar had him winning all of those states in 16 except for pennsylvania. They have him winning 2 of them in 2020 with a margin of less than 1%. with the exception of michigan which they project trump up by 1.4%

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Well we know that the US at one point had scientist in Wuhan at the Bio Weapons Lab that may be ground zero....I HIGHLY doubt the US would end that relationship.

It would not surprise me to learn that the CIA knew what was going on and the Trump admin knew what was going on from the beginning. Remember Trump multiple times has said he didn't want to panic the US people. In my opinion the CIA was on the ground at the start, knew how deadly this thing was, turned a blind eye to what the Chinese Govt was doing to their own people to try to control it before it left China. I also believe that the CIA and the Trump Admin kept it under wraps in an attempt to not only keep panic from happening in the US but also the entire world to avoid an entire collapse of the World Economic system and global chaos.

I think this is where Trump's anger with China over the thing comes from. I think the CIA and the Trump admin knew what was going on when it first broke out and were promised by the Chinese govt they would handle it and it would not leave China and then China failed on that promise and it became the World's and more importantly to Trump his problem to deal with on his own shores. I think Trump was under the impression China was getting it under control, and banning travel from China would be all he needed to do as the Chinese Govt was killing people in China who had it. Little did anyone know it was already running gangbusters through Italy after being imported from China and from there the rest of the world.
Not much to disagree with here but I also think it was out earlier than we knew, and earlier than China admitted to, just took a bit of time to get up to numbers that couldn't be ignored any longer. Probably out of the lab in Oct/Nov...I think that is the time frame the Chinese Doc's were posting about a new flu on social media.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Not much to disagree with here but I also think it was out earlier than we knew, and earlier than China admitted to, just took a bit of time to get up to numbers that couldn't be ignored any longer. Probably out of the lab in Oct/Nov...I think that is the time frame the Chinese Doc's were posting about a new flu on social media.
Yeah, the Chinese CDC didn't issue an emergency memo about the emergence of a new Flu like virus until Dec 30th. But I'm pretty sure there were 6 doctors in Wuhan who were on social media weeks before that sounding the alarm

Aug 16, 2012
I know full well the point. I addressed it by stating "I'd say every 2 years people try to vote them out, but a lot of other people keep voting them in." People with the kind of money to skirt taxes despite making millions upon milions of dollars (trump for example made 40 million from charging exorbitant prices in one DC hotel in 2017) also know which candidates to give money to, so they can keep the gravy train going.
Wait a minute. Cannot blame rich people for voting them in. Depending on your definition of "rich", they make up a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller voting block that could easily be overturned by mom, pop, restaurant worker, hourly worker, etc.....by a long-shot. Up to a 9-1 difference. Money has nothing to do with why the same idiots keep getting reelected. The same idiot voters are to blame. They are not "trying to vote them out". Far from it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Would be very cool to see an accurate non-political time line for the entire virus. I think American's should be able to look past our political divides on this issue and our plan for reaction to how China failed us. I think moving forward both candidates should have a better plan to deal with China...not just the virus...this can't occur again, and China has historically been a hot bed for pandemic origin and especially if this is lab released as most seem to think in this thread. Shouldn't be political at all...unity should be first and foremost on this...if only this one thing.