VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I’m not trolling. My point is that I don’t see any evidence of voter suppression in Texas. There are plenty of options. In fact just in this discussion I found out there are many more options than I even knew about. I reject these excuses that it’s too hard for people in Texas to vote. That’s not trolling, that’s me responding to these excuses as they are introduced. Voter suppression is a serious charge that I don’t think should be cavalierly thrown out there. Especially when Texas apparently is offering way more voting options than ever before.
Help, I'm being sucked into the gravity well of your infinite troll density! But what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment and I like to make the attempt to make sure the old noodle still works from time to time.

I believe you might think that, but actually you are a troll. I promise, you are.

My point is that I don’t see any evidence of voter suppression in Texas.
What would be evidence? Would taking away the last drop box do it? He took away 10 out of 11 boxes in Harris county, I believe. So he's only 91% suppressive, but maybe you don't like to round up.

There are plenty of options.
Is someone on here saying there aren't?

In fact just in this discussion I found out there are many more options than I even knew about.
I'm honestly surprised to see you write this as you seem to be an all-knowing expert in medicine, health, politics, civil engineering for traffic purposes (drilling down to debate Houston drive times was particularly wonderful must-read entertainment), and generally smarty pant-ness.

I reject these excuses that it’s too hard for people in Texas to vote.
I don't think people are saying it's too hard, and I think you know that. People I've seen are more upset that it has the appearance of being done specifically at a time and place to help one political party over the other.
That’s not trolling, that’s me responding to these excuses as they are introduced.
Yes, it is.

Voter suppression is a serious charge that I don’t think should be cavalierly thrown out there.
Yes, it is.

Especially when Texas apparently is offering way more voting options than ever before.
You'd think since they are offering so many new options, why wouldn't they expand this option? Or is it about getting specific groups more access ... thoughts for another time, I suppose!

Ahhh, I feel better. Was that as good for you as it was for me? Eh, who am I kidding, I don't even care - I enjoyed it. Say whatever you want, I won't respond anymore in the near future, I'm supposed to be working. (Speaking of which, how on earth do you guys have enough time to muck around in here all day??) Peace out and vote everyone!

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Help, I'm being sucked into the gravity well of your infinite troll density! But what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment and I like to make the attempt to make sure the old noodle still works from time to time.

I believe you might think that, but actually you are a troll. I promise, you are.

What would be evidence? Would taking away the last drop box do it? He took away 10 out of 11 boxes in Harris county, I believe. So he's only 91% suppressive, but maybe you don't like to round up.

Is someone on here saying there aren't?

I'm honestly surprised to see you write this as you seem to be an all-knowing expert in medicine, health, politics, civil engineering for traffic purposes (drilling down to debate Houston drive times was particularly wonderful must-read entertainment), and generally smarty pant-ness.

I don't think people are saying it's too hard, and I think you know that. People I've seen are more upset that it has the appearance of being done specifically at a time and place to help one political party over the other.

Yes, it is.

Yes, it is.

You'd think since they are offering so many new options, why wouldn't they expand this option? Or is it about getting specific groups more access ... thoughts for another time, I suppose!

Ahhh, I feel better. Was that as good for you as it was for me? Eh, who am I kidding, I don't even care - I enjoyed it. Say whatever you want, I won't respond anymore in the near future, I'm supposed to be working. (Speaking of which, how on earth do you guys have enough time to muck around in here all day??) Peace out and vote everyone!
Well there’s a lot here to unpack but I won’t respond if you aren’t interested. Have a good day.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Agree with SNL’s generational gaps through the years.

I do think the knives r considerably sharper today, though, when it comes to political stuff.

SNL, Kimmel, Colbert etc... r worlds apart from Johnny Carson & hell, even, SNL when Clinton was President. It’s a long ways from Chevy Chase falling off a ladder as Gerry Ford, to where we r today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a shame because this really should be a golden era for late night comedy. But when it’s all motivated by hate or mean spiritedness it’s just not going to be very good.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
No, I don't like bailouts at all. That is why when we are having more bail outs now than ever under Trump I want him gone.

The GM bailout was a loand that has been paid back for the most part. The Ag bailout is not a loan. It is a cash handout.

Interesting read on the stadiums. I don't like those either. Again though what does that have to do with the election? It has been happening in Blue and Red states under Blue and Red Presidents and neither candidate has even addressed the issue.
It has to do with the subsidies you were complaining about. Tell me, if you can, what industry hasn't benefited from government handouts?

"cash for clunkers"?

If you are against Ag bailouts, then why do you, I assume, vote for the party that is the biggest proponent of AG Subsidies? Always has been.

Also, AG subsidies is all about a cheap and ample supply of food. Food security......

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
pretty sure Hillary was leading battleground states in 2016 by roughly the same margin that Joe is now...didn't turn out that way!

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Or just better at leading as President during Covid. I work in marketing. We have a saying. Good advertising just kills a crappy product faster.
There wasn’t much he could actually do outside of whatever perception he put out there. I think his instinct to not go the route of lock downs and protect the economy was right, but his messaging wasn’t versatile enough. It left a huge hole for the MSM to finally make something stick to him.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Between the WHO and Fauci telling the public in late February that they don't need masks, and the left calling Trump a racist because he wanted to shut off travel from China, combined with the fact that the CDC was projecting up to 2 million deaths in the U.S., I think he's done very well with handling it...it's just that the media won't allow that narrative.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
There wasn’t much he could actually do outside of whatever perception he put out there. I think his instinct to not go the route of lock downs and protect the economy was right, but his messaging wasn’t versatile enough. It left a huge hole for the MSM to finally make something stick to him.
Yeah, he’s pretty helpless. Where does the buck stop again?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It has to do with the subsidies you were complaining about. Tell me, if you can, what industry hasn't benefited from government handouts?

"cash for clunkers"?

If you are against Ag bailouts, then why do you, I assume, vote for the party that is the biggest proponent of AG Subsidies? Always has been.

Also, AG subsidies is all about a cheap and ample supply of food. Food security......
What do we supplement for "food security?"
Broccoli? Nah.
Cabbage? Nah.
Fresh fruits? Nah.
Nuts? Nah, barely.

We subsidize corn, soy, and wheat which is processed into diabetes causing cheap junk food. "Food security" is the government killing us slowly. It is like the government making cars without seatbelts cheaper and calling it "transportation security."

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Between the WHO and Fauci telling the public in late February that they don't need masks, and the left calling Trump a racist because he wanted to shut off travel from China, combined with the fact that the CDC was projecting up to 2 million deaths in the U.S., I think he's done very well with handling it...it's just that the media won't allow that narrative.
@TheMonkey I'm glad you are amused by truth.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Yeah, he’s pretty helpless. Where does the buck stop again?
I guess I’m all ears as to what the feds can do but in my mind this is in many ways a local issue. Feds can restrict international travel, pass stimulus, work on vaccines, etcetera; what else do you think they can do that doesn’t overstep the state, county, local, etcetera?