VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
This is some of his best trolling yet. I don't even know what his point is other than to cause frustration out of everyone, lol.
I’m not trolling. My point is that I don’t see any evidence of voter suppression in Texas. There are plenty of options. In fact just in this discussion I found out there are many more options than I even knew about. I reject these excuses that it’s too hard for people in Texas to vote. That’s not trolling, that’s me responding to these excuses as they are introduced. Voter suppression is a serious charge that I don’t think should be cavalierly thrown out there. Especially when Texas apparently is offering way more voting options than ever before.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
They were available in this years primary...can't speak to 2018 because it wasn't an issue brought up at the time.
Maybe they noticed fraud and don't want that in the national election...even so they have left one and added several other ways to vote that were not availed in the past including massive early voting and drive thru voting. People are bitchin to bitch. As the court agreed it's not voter suppression when additional options are available and this is the first time they have allowed it in a Presidential election in Texas.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
They have. It helps, but they just build more houses further away and it bogs down again. They need better public transportation (trains especially) but it’s too spread out and the population wants to support oil and gas by buying gas for their cars.
OK, maybe I’m wrong?

The HOV on 290 and I-10 allow toll express during non-HOV periods. Guessing this is different?
I-10

I-10 yes after the reconstruction which ended in 2008, you can use them anytime of day. 290 under reconstruction now and I will/does have them. I-45 is next in line and will have them as well.

There was a train bed along the north side of I-10, DOT offered it to Houston Metro for light rail and Houston Metro declined. That train bed is now highway.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Abbott’s move will disproportionately impact high-population counties that are Democratic strongholds in the state. Harris County—which includes Houston and has a population over 4 million—and Dallas County, population 2.6 million, both voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Another one of Trump's former appointees comes out against him

Here’s my bugaboo. Pun intended. White nationalism. In particular, the argument today shifted at Business Insider about this. Whites are increasingly attacking the Jewish community online and in reality. At almost the same pace as another color. Ahem Louis Farrakhan has been far worse in his public words and what has happened. Black Hebrews just killed several Jewish people a year ago in a delicatessen. But yes, it’s the white hatred that must be addressed. Does anyone else spot any bias in that or is it just me? Didn’t a famous athlete catch some flack for tweeting antisemitic behavior? Was that a black nationalist problem? Hmmmm. Also, since there are more whites, I’ve noticed strong similarities by the fringe left and right in equal hated for all things Israel.

Hate. Can’t be just a one race emotion.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
AZ is going blue, calling it now. Kelly and Biden are taking it this go-round.

I think Biden takes could grab over 350 EC votes. Trump gets Florida or Ohio, but not both. Other than that see Biden grabbing Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, & Virginia. Math is saying that Trump is going to get thrashed pretty good. Obama '08 numbers. Also think we're going to have record numbers of voters. Wouldn't be surprised to see over 150 million ballots cast - which I consider a good thing (even though it would seem there are some on here who don't, haha). And before you lambast me with the liberal tag, I'm definitely not: I just find the forecasting fascinating.

God help me, I love the electoral college. Such a unique American thing.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
When I voted absentee a few years back the ballot was much smaller than a regular ballot. It probably wouldn’t work in the counting machine is my guess as to why they have to fill a new one out.
Maybe so. But that is why removing the drop off boxes is a burden.
As to only 10 drive throughs, isn’t that roughly the number of drop offs that there used to be?
There were 10 for a Houston City mayoral election, not a county wide presidential election expected to possibly be a record-setting turnout.
Lastly on Abbott, he’s going to be a high bar for voter security guy and his state will be that way even in blue areas.
True. But it doesn’t excuse him for making it more difficult by choosing this method at this time that most strongly affects the areas which just happen to have the highest percentage and largest number of non-Trump voters. It’s too convenient to ignore.

Sep 12, 2008
AZ is going blue, calling it now. Kelly and Biden are taking it this go-round.

I think Biden takes could grab over 350 EC votes. Trump gets Florida or Ohio, but not both. Other than that I think Biden grabs Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, & Virginia. Math is saying that Trump is going to get thrashed pretty good. Obama '08 numbers. Also think we're going to have record numbers of voters. Wouldn't be surprised to see over 150 million ballots cast - which I consider a good thing (even though it would seem there are some on here who don't, haha).

See no worries.. Trump is going to get thumped!

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I am ok with minimal subsides to help with 1-3. Not direct bailout to boost income as noted in my other response.

Most if not all professional sports subsidies are local. So of no concern to a Presidential election or to anyone not living in or around one of those cities.
Did you clap when Obama gave direct subsidies to Auto makers?

And about those sports subsidies........

It’s the last one, tax-free municipal bonds, on which Ted Gayer, Austin Drukker, and Alexander Gold have focused their research. In a new paper from Economic Studies at Brookings, “Tax-Exempt Municipal Bonds and the Financing of Professional Sports Stadiums,” they take a comprehensive look at the federal side of stadium subsidies. They find that since 2000 alone, federal taxpayers have footed $3.2 billion toward private sports stadiums through subsidies in the form of tax-exempt municipal bonds. The amount of revenue the federal government loses gets even bigger—$3.7 billion—when the additional tax benefits that the high-income bond holders receive are taken into account.

A simpler way to look at it: Working families in Alaska are seeing their tax dollars go toward Yankee Stadium, a private stadium for a team valued at $3.4 billion located over 4,000 miles away.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/broo...dies-for-pro-stadiums-hint-the-yankees-are-1/

The truth of the matter for most people it all depends on whose ox is getting gored. You're good when you benefit from a subsidy, but complain if anyone else does!

And be sure to thank a farmer for your low grocery budget.

The US Spends Less On Food Than Any Other Country In The World [MAPS]

https://www.ibtimes.com/us-spends-less-food-any-other-country-world-maps-1546945

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Ag subsidies are now a trademark of the current GOP. No President has ever handed out that much to Ag. Literal direct payments.

Please let me know what Biden's plan is to give more than $28B to Ag over the next two years. I haven't seen that plan. I am watching the Trump plan in real time.

President Donald Trump announced a $19 billion bailout package for farmers hurt financially by the coronavirus crisis.

The aid plan includes $16 billion in direct payments to farmers to boost their incomes, along with $3 billion in government purchases of meat, dairy products and other foods, the president said Friday at a White House briefing. The Agriculture Department will receive another $14 billion in July for further assistance.
If you want to know who supports the Farm Bill look no further than how your representatives in Congress voted.

https://www.fb.org/market-intel/who-supported-the-farm-bill

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Once again, were these boxes available last election? If not, then they have more ways to vote than ever and we are just bitching to bitch. Trust me, if a Democrat inner city voter want's to get to the polls and cast his or her vote he's going to get a ton of free ride offers and maybe even "help" making decisions on his/her ballot.
Yes, they were. This whole deal was done in the last two weeks before the drop offs were supposed to be open to the public.

If the governor had done this in 2019, or even waited til 2021, I, and most everyone, would have gone 'meh'. But you gotta see this one for what it is: Abbot is CLEARLY trying to make it harder to vote. And again, I'm someone who thinks you should have an ID to vote in person and doesn't like the idea of mailing in or dropping off ballots at all. But they've been something that's been heavily used and they are being taken away at the 11th hour. It's dirty politics and I think if you're being honest with yourself you'll come to the same conclusion.

Sep 12, 2008
It is amazing that there are people who still think there is anything but dirty politics these days.. that one side plays fair and the other doesn't. Its always dirty when the other guy does it.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Did you clap when Obama gave direct subsidies to Auto makers?

And about those sports subsidies........

It’s the last one, tax-free municipal bonds, on which Ted Gayer, Austin Drukker, and Alexander Gold have focused their research. In a new paper from Economic Studies at Brookings, “Tax-Exempt Municipal Bonds and the Financing of Professional Sports Stadiums,” they take a comprehensive look at the federal side of stadium subsidies. They find that since 2000 alone, federal taxpayers have footed $3.2 billion toward private sports stadiums through subsidies in the form of tax-exempt municipal bonds. The amount of revenue the federal government loses gets even bigger—$3.7 billion—when the additional tax benefits that the high-income bond holders receive are taken into account.

A simpler way to look at it: Working families in Alaska are seeing their tax dollars go toward Yankee Stadium, a private stadium for a team valued at $3.4 billion located over 4,000 miles away.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/broo...dies-for-pro-stadiums-hint-the-yankees-are-1/

The truth of the matter for most people it all depends on whose ox is getting gored. You're good when you benefit from a subsidy, but complain if anyone else does!

And be sure to thank a farmer for your low grocery budget.

The US Spends Less On Food Than Any Other Country In The World [MAPS]

https://www.ibtimes.com/us-spends-less-food-any-other-country-world-maps-1546945
No, I don't like bailouts at all. That is why when we are having more bail outs now than ever under Trump I want him gone.

The GM bailout was a loand that has been paid back for the most part. The Ag bailout is not a loan. It is a cash handout.

Interesting read on the stadiums. I don't like those either. Again though what does that have to do with the election? It has been happening in Blue and Red states under Blue and Red Presidents and neither candidate has even addressed the issue.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Yes, they were. This whole deal was done in the last two weeks before the drop offs were supposed to be open to the public.

If the governor had done this in 2019, or even waited til 2021, I, and most everyone, would have gone 'meh'. But you gotta see this one for what it is: Abbot is CLEARLY trying to make it harder to vote. And again, I'm someone who thinks you should have an ID to vote in person and doesn't like the idea of mailing in or dropping off ballots at all. But they've been something that's been heavily used and they are being taken away at the 11th hour. It's dirty politics and I think if you're being honest with yourself you'll come to the same conclusion.
If he “clearly” wanted to make it harder to vote why would he increase the early voting period from 12 to 18 days?

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Abbott pissed off Republicans by extending early voting period, then pissed off Democrats with the one ballot box per county...poor guy can't catch a break. If Trump carries TX, Dems will blame it on boxes and if Biden does, Reps will blame it on early voting extension....both will blame him!

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Every generation says that.
Yep. When I was a kid I remember my parents saying SNL was way funnier back in the day. This was during the Sandler, Farley, Myers, and Carvey era with Norm McDonald doing weekend update. I found the early days of SNL and the original cast was legendary but it was Belushi doing his thing plus weed jokes. I think SNL stays the same, you just get older and don't get the jokes.
Agree with SNL’s generational gaps through the years.

I do think the knives r considerably sharper today, though, when it comes to political stuff.

SNL, Kimmel, Colbert etc... r worlds apart from Johnny Carson & hell, even, SNL when Clinton was President. It’s a long ways from Chevy Chase falling off a ladder as Gerry Ford, to where we r today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk