VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2006
I’m not optimistic you’ll get it, even with an explanation, not because I think you’re unintelligent... I just don’t think you WANT to understand it. This thread has laid it out pretty clearly.
And I think you are WANTING to search for ways votes are being suppressed when they are not. It is not hard to vote. And it is not hard to send your vote. It is only hard if you choose to make it difficult.

This reminds me of an ongoing discussion with my good very liberal friend. He is adamantly opposed to Voter ID. He claims that obtaining a Voter ID is cumbersome on minorities. Which, IMO and based on facts, is ludicrous and actually demeaning to minorities.

I think we all agree elections are important. It should be available for those that want to execute their voting right, but we MUST insure elections are legitimate and curtail as much fraud possibilities as possible. Dems seem more willing to risk fraud for positive of more people voting. Although getting more people to vote is an admirable goal, providing proper gates that allow all to vote who want, but also limit fraud has to occur.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
I am sure that since Bloomberg was willing to pay all the fines (bribe) for the felons in Florida, he would be more than will ing to pay for an Uber/Bus/etc.. if you pledge your allegiance to the DNC.
Trump sending branded medicare $200 cards to senior citizens says hello!

Oh and before you try to pretend like this is not for the election. Check this quote out.

“Nobody’s seen this before. These cards are incredible. The cards will be mailed out in coming weeks. I will always take care of our wonderful senior citizens. Joe Biden won’t be doing this,” Trump said.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And I think you are WANTING to search for ways votes are being suppressed when they are not. It is not hard to vote. And it is not hard to send your vote. It is only hard if you choose to make it difficult.

This reminds me of an ongoing discussion with my good very liberal friend. He is adamantly opposed to Voter ID. He claims that obtaining a Voter ID is cumbersome on minorities. Which, IMO and based on facts, is ludicrous and actually demeaning to minorities.

I think we all agree elections are important. It should be available for those that want to execute their voting right, but we MUST insure elections are legitimate and curtail as much fraud possibilities as possible. Dems seem more willing to risk fraud for positive of more people voting. Although getting more people to vote is an admirable goal, providing proper gates that allow all to vote who want, but also limit fraud has to occur.
Let’s stick to the issue at hand. Why are we limiting drop off locations MORE during a pandemic when the very people who use those drop off boxes (over 65) are at the greatest risk? @Bay Area Poke stated that even in the additional drive thru locations (only 10, by the way) they have to surrender their absentee ballot. That means they have to fill out a new ballot while in line. Why? They already filled out a ballot. This will just make lines longer and make it more difficult. Will that frustrate some folks? Will it dissuade then from voting. That is suppression.

It’s just a coincidence that this will have the biggest impact in areas likely to not vote for Trump? It’s just a coincidence that Abbot is one of Trump’s most ardent supporters?

Nov 6, 2010
I added to my previous post but will repost here

I have been here for 30 years, I know the traffic flows and it's a small window to avoid traffic and have decent drive times. But your forcing some people to make 60 - 100+ mile round trips to drop their ballot.

Why should we require an elderly or disabled person who wants to drop their ballot off in person to leave their city of 500k and drive 45+ min during the middle of the day on Wednesday to drop their ballot. To me it's similar to telling someone in Tulsa they have to drive to OKC to drop their ballot.
Has Houston put in toll express lanes like Dallas has?? This seems to have really helped with the traffic situation in Dallas, at least it seemed like it the last time I was there.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Has Houston put in toll express lanes like Dallas has?? This seems to have really helped with the traffic situation in Dallas, at least it seemed like it the last time I was there.
They were talking about but the ballot issue did not pass, apparently they were having voting issues.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
They have. It helps, but they just build more houses further away and it bogs down again. They need better public transportation (trains especially) but it’s too spread out and the population wants to support oil and gas by buying gas for their cars.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Right now (10:30am) round trip from my house would be approx. 1.5 hours and 70 miles. according to google maps. But let's ask the 75 year old who doesn't trust USPS to make the drive.
Once again, were these boxes available last election? If not, then they have more ways to vote than ever and we are just bitching to bitch. Trust me, if a Democrat inner city voter want's to get to the polls and cast his or her vote he's going to get a ton of free ride offers and maybe even "help" making decisions on his/her ballot.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I am voting via drop box. I get a ballot mailed to me. Fill it out and drive by a drop box that is on the way to the grocery store if I go to the farther location. It is about 2.5 miles away. I think there are at least 2 others near by too that are close but you have to park and get out of your car. There is also a public bus that goes right by the Court house. This is how it should work.

It is the safest way to vote with limited interaction because I can drive by and drop it off without interaction on the receiving or drop off end.

To actively deny this from people in a pandemic is insane. Especially when you consider that Houston had this option at one of the 10 drop off locations for an election in 2019.

So yes, changing options and limiting the easiest way to minimize virus exposure is blatant voter suppression. If I have to read through 6 different announcements to see what my options are compared to the last time I voted they are clearly trying to confuse people.

Hmm, of all the secure options we had previously which is going to go up in demand? Drop off? Oh let's make that way more expensive and painful for people.
Damn them trying to confuse you with all those convenient voting options and mailing a ballot to every person of age in your state. Voter suppression!! Voter Suppression!!

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Let’s stick to the issue at hand. Why are we limiting drop off locations MORE during a pandemic when the very people who use those drop off boxes (over 65) are at the greatest risk? @Bay Area Poke stated that even in the additional drive thru locations (only 10, by the way) they have to surrender their absentee ballot. That means they have to fill out a new ballot while in line. Why? They already filled out a ballot. This will just make lines longer and make it more difficult. Will that frustrate some folks? Will it dissuade then from voting. That is suppression.

It’s just a coincidence that this will have the biggest impact in areas likely to not vote for Trump? It’s just a coincidence that Abbot is one of Trump’s most ardent supporters?
When I voted absentee a few years back the ballot was much smaller than a regular ballot. It probably wouldn’t work in the counting machine is my guess as to why they have to fill a new one out. As to only 10 drive throughs, isn’t that roughly the number of drop offs that there used to be? And as far as it being a problem with longer lines, I don’t know how these drive throughs work. Surely it isn’t one window, one line like a McDonald’s. But maybe it is.

Lastly on Abbott, he’s going to be a high bar for voter security guy and his state will be that way even in blue areas. A California is going to be a low bar for voter security including in red areas of that blue state. That’s just the way it goes I suppose.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Toll Roads everywhere...including down the middle of I-10, installed when the expanded I-10 to 6 lanes each way...but much better than the walled HOV lane they used to have. But it still takes me longer to get to/from work on I-10 than Westhiemer.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Once again, were these boxes available last election? If not, then they have more ways to vote than ever and we are just bitching to bitch. Trust me, if a Democrat inner city voter want's to get to the polls and cast his or her vote he's going to get a ton of free ride offers and maybe even "help" making decisions on his/her ballot.
They were available in this years primary...can't speak to 2018 because it wasn't an issue brought up at the time.