VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I'm a little over my head on some of this but it's the bankruptcy laws that bother me the most. I understand the reason for them and think they should exist, but it appears they can be exploited.

Even more than that, I'm annoyed by the banks constantly getting fooled by Trump. I remember reading an article in the 80's saying something along the lines of if you have a big loan at a bank, the bank owns you. Until you get a big enough loan at the bank and then you own the bank, because they have more to lose by you defaulting than they do. Trump may be stupid, but he's clearly smarter than the people who loaned him money and didn't get paid back.
The bankruptcy laws have changed, thank goodness. I have had people file on me over the years. Only as of the last couple of years , they cannot file and completely absolved from that debt. If you do nothing about it , its gone. If you respond it is not

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
We can debate the fairness of the tax laws all day long, I'd probably agree with a lot of what you say. It's always funny to me when life long politicians complain about things like that because they, and their cronies, created those laws. It really left a mark when Harry Reid was challenged on what had been proven to be a lie and not only did he show no remorse, he gleamed with the "he didn't win did he?" response.

I would be willing to bet Trump has exploited the bankruptcy and tax laws to stack the deck in his favor his whole adult life. That doesn't make him stupid, it makes the people who made those laws stupid.

It might make him sleazy, but I was decades ahead of everyone else on that one. I remember in the 80's bitching at people who thought Trump was some brilliant business man and thought he was Sam Walton rich. At the time Trump in so much debt he wasn't even Jostate rich.

I don’t even see the argument that Trump is sleazy with regards to only paying his obligation. He’s literally hiring a firm to a do job and they are doing it to the best of their ability. I guarantee you Trump hasn’t been pouring over his books for the last 40 years and coming up with ways to minimize his tax bill. That’s way too complicated for anyone to do unless you’re an expert.

This is a really good test for whether someone’s dislike of Trump is rational or not IMO. I just don’t see an argument for attacking Trump on this one. There are other areas for sure where the attacks are warranted but this one seems like quite a reach.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don’t even see the argument that Trump is sleazy with regards to only paying his obligation. He’s literally hiring a firm to a do job and they are doing it to the best of their ability. I guarantee you Trump hasn’t been pouring over his books for the last 40 years and coming up with ways to minimize his tax bill. That’s way too complicated for anyone to do unless you’re an expert.
He's sleazy, but to your point, not so much for that.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The funniest/most ironic part of all this that evidently really upset the NYT, was that there was a tax law change under Obama that allowed Trump to write off even more/faster. LOL
Basically, people who are mad about Trump's taxes are going to use that anger to support voting for a man who helped make it possible. And they are seriously incapable of seeing the irony of it. TDS.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We argued about POTUS OMB's taxes last time...it didn't work...I'm thinking it won't this time...To bad the dem's don't have a pro life candidate or that we don't have more parties...Neither choice is a great one...have to hold my nose and vote again. Damn it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Who can actually list what this POTUS has actually really paid in Taxes overall not just in the USA, as "income taxes," which is just a fraction of what a real estate owner / investor / operator / developer pays in "taxes?"

• This would include foreign taxes paid on money made overseas
  • State taxes paid
  • Property Taxes paid on all properties
  • Foreign usage/government fees
  • Franchise taxes
  • Taxes and fees paid for Payroll /Healthcare in his companies (I think the Trump Organization employees 23K directly, not sure how many indirectly).

Plus what deductions has he taken
Deductions for his actual POTUS salary which it is reported that he directly donates to other Federal agencies
What about other donation or charity or politicians?

Could it be that rich guys use tax loopholes to their advantage and see it as an incentive for providing so many jobs, loans, service on loans, tax firm employees, golf course employees, newspaper writers, hotel and travel business jobs, etc....? :runaway: No doubt guys like Trump are master creators of jobs and wealth and our laws are structured to allow that and even promote it...just think about all the bloggers and pundits that would be out of a job if no one hated this cat...Certainly a crazy world we live in.

Still, who can give us an overall picture of this man financially...not just attempting to paint a OMB picture?
And, why does anyone trust the NYT to write an unbiased article in the world of Trump?

I don't have the ability nor time to give this what it would take to figure out, but surely some unbiased journalist is still out there that can?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
AOC's tweet was funny. She said she paid more in taxes on her tips as a bartender. Did she forget that those are taxable wages, that taxes were not being pulled out.
Also, I know this does not need to be said. A business income is not taxed like payroll taxes. If it did there would no business able to operate. A good business runs a EBITDA of 25-30 % , take that away the businesses cease to operate do to no profit.

Are you working for free? I'm not.

Mar 11, 2006
Which party is pushing to reinstate SALT tax deduction? Which would have significantly reduced federal tax burden for Trump I. 2016

Hint: It is not Republicans

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Assuming what you are saying is true, and I have no idea, to cover their bases. Russian interests have been advanced under Trump in ways that would make Reagan flip in his grave. The FBI is gutted, Europe is on it's own, and we're on the verge of civil war here and completely disengaged in the ME. Now, some of those might very well be in our short term national interests, but they are all most definitely in the long term national interests of Russia. Putin has won, no matter what happens in this election.
"The FBI is gutted"???...the FBI needs to be "gutted". If any one of us did what
key FBI leaders did acting completely outside of the law we would be in jail!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
AOC's tweet was funny. She said she paid more in taxes on her tips as a bartender. Did she forget that those are taxable wages, that taxes were not being pulled out.
Every bartender I've ever known didn't report 100% of their tips, I would bet AOC did the same. I'm not judging anybody who has done it but that is actually illegal as opposed to what Trump allegedly did...so get off your high horse AOC...you'll be using the same loopholes once you become a millionaire by "serving" in Congress.

Anybody who doesn't like the current tax code should NOT vote for Biden, or any other politician that's been in DC longer than a generation. This is pretty simple folks.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
That's true, but he's got a little more going on to earn the sleaze label than that.
I suppose he’s right there with the Bill Clintons, JFKs, Thomas Jeffersons, FDRs, LBJs, etcetera. I just don’t see him as breaking the mold. He’s guilty of the same kind of things that a good number of POTUSes were guilty of.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Even while declaring losses, he has managed to enjoy a lavish lifestyle by taking tax deductions on what most people would consider personal expenses, including residences, aircraft and $70,000 in hairstyling for television.

I guess this part makes me the most upset...$70,000 and this is the best you can do?...lol...do appreciate how the top stays in place (most of the time)
download (1).jpeg

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
This may be true. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. At the same time you remember when Harry Reid said another Republican presidential contender didn't pay taxes and it turned out to be a flat out lie. When asked about it later Harry said "he didn't win the election did he?"
Both sides understand this is just publicity stunt to make Trump look bad.
Any one of us with lots assets never needs to pay personal income tax unless we choose to do so. All we need to do is to take out personal loans backed by our fixed assets. Personal loans are not taxable...and therefore we owe no personnal income tax.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Even while declaring losses, he has managed to enjoy a lavish lifestyle by taking tax deductions on what most people would consider personal expenses, including residences, aircraft and $70,000 in hairstyling for television.

I guess this part makes me the most upset...$70,000 and this is the best you can do?...lol...do appreciate how the top stays in place (most of the time)
View attachment 85926
Question....how much do you think the average celebrity on tv spends on their appearance? I honestly don't know. And do you think any of them are not claiming it as a work deduction?

Again if this upsets you that much, then definitely do not vote for the person who was responsible for writing the tax code for 40 years. I simply can't understand your logic....how can your anger over the law not be directed at the actual career lawmaker?