Eddie Sutton & the Basketball HOF

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Yeah the Ward comment makes no sense at all.

Further, it's pretty much universally agreed amongst OSU fans that Gundy's team got screwed out a national title game in 2011, so the "Gundy will never sniff it" comment is bizarre.
Most college football fans outside of Tuscaloosa will agree with that statement as well.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The Oracle of Stillwater has officially spoken, and his words are true. Its a bunch of crap and the Sutton's have handled this mean girls garbage about as well as anyone could.

Sep 18, 2006
SEC country :(
Salt in the wound...

Fitch won 944 games in his NBA coaching career, including a title with the Celtics in 1981. The two-time NBA Coach of the Year took on massive rebuilding projects in all five of his NBA stops, which explains his 1,106 losses and .460 career win percentage. In addition to the Celtics, he also coached the expansion Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets, New Jersey Nets and LA Clippers, and he took all five teams to the playoffs.

Massive rebuilds? I think I know why the teams showed improvement.
Cleveland = Cleveland
1st year with Celtics = Larry Bird
2nd year with Rockets = The Dream
2nd year with Nets = Derrick Coleman
Clippers = Clippers

:derp:

Is Erik Spoelstra a HOF Coach? Is Tyrone Lue a HOF Coach?

F-ing frustrating...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
It is clear that the hall voters only see the couple of "cons" against Sutton and could care less about all of the "pros". Good to see Moncrief gave him a shout-out. Would have been even better if he had followed up the Sutton reference with, ".....who should be in here too..."

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
More comments from the Sutton family and others...

Scott Sutton said the feedback from friends this week has run the spectrum from disappointment to sadness to anger.

“We kept thinking this was going to be the year and then Texas Tech made it to the Final Four with (Red Raiders assistant) Sean (Sutton). We thought things happen for a reason and this was going to happen and it was going to be a real cool weekend. It didn’t happen.

“But it doesn’t take away from what he’s accomplished and what he’s meant to so many people.”

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer became eligible for the College Football Hall of Fame in 1991. Not including a 1994-97 period where he was ineligible since he was coaching the Dallas Cowboys, it wasn’t until 2001 that one of college football’s winningest coaches (157-29-4 in 16 seasons) was enshrined.

“I don’t understand it on Eddie. I more so understand it on me because of all the negative crap that happened here and how the sanctimonious b------ — were,” Switzer said. “People always asked me, every year, how come you aren’t in the Hall of Fame? I’d say you are asking the wrong guy. You have to ask them … They didn’t have an answer for it. They always gave a bull-- — answer. It got to be laughable. I’d just laugh at it every year.

Multiple e-mails were sent by the Tulsa World to a media contact for the Naismith Hall with one specific question: Why does the Hall choose its panel of 24 voters to remain anonymous and the vote tabulation kept confidential when nearly all other major sports release the information?

The queries went unanswered.
Our Sunday editorial also addresses the HOF decision...

Twice in his career, Sutton had coaching tenures end in scandal. He resigned at Kentucky amid an NCAA investigation that eventually led to three years of probation and a two-year ban from television and postseason play. He resigned at OSU after a traffic accident and an aggravated DUI charge. He admitted to having relapsed into drug and alcohol abuse, sought treatment and took a plea agreement typical for that sort of case.

Do those issues somehow disqualify him from the hall of fame? We looked over the list of other coaches honored by the hall of fame and saw plenty of personal failings and NCAA penalties.

The Naismith jurors’ decision is inexplicable and wrong. Eddie Sutton deserved the honor, and, in the words of Tulsa World sports writer Bill Haisten, denying it to him again is “pointless cruelty.”

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
When is the Eddie documentary that many fans, including myself helped fund going to be released? I thought I had received an email from the producer that it was nearing completion and was fully funded back at the first of the year but have heard nothing but crickets since then.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
When is the Eddie documentary that many fans, including myself helped fund going to be released? I thought I had received an email from the producer that it was nearing completion and was fully funded back at the first of the year but have heard nothing but crickets since then.
I believe its done, but they are trying to find a company to buy it so it can be distributed to the public