Eddie Sutton & the Basketball HOF

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 18, 2006
SEC country :(
I saw that the list of finalists for the Basketball HOF were release last week, and for the 6th time, Eddie's name was among the finalists.

I know that the finalists are thumb up or thumbs down, but looking at the other coaching candidates, I really think he'll get voted in this year. He's the best representative for the men's game. He is only going up against one other men's coach, Bill Fitch. I remember Fitch as the coach of a bunch of really bad Clippers and Nets teams and someone with more losses than wins. Sure, he has a championship, but that was with a Celtics team that had 4 eventual HOFers. My dog could have done that.

There are candidates for the women's game, but I don't think he'll be compared against them.

And with some of the more recent coaching inductees having shady pasts (Calipari, Tark the Shark) or past inductees having more recent run-ins with the rules (Pitino, Self, Larry Brown), the voters have no excuse if they try to hang Kentucky over Eddie's head.

Finally, in electing Lefty Driesell last year, the voters enshrined someone with a clearly inferior coaching resume and someone who had to resign due to scandal (Len Bias).

Oh well, my two cents. And really, I'm kidding myself. I'm just bracing for the annual Screw Eddie Sutton Day.

RPG

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
On Feb. 15, at 4:32 p.m., there was a surprising text message from Tulsa World sports writer Mark Cooper.
“Eddie Sutton a finalist for the hall again,” Cooper reported.

First reaction: Wow. For the sixth time, Eddie Sutton is a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame finalist. After he was denied in 2016, it seemed that he wouldn’t get another chance.
Second reaction: This time, Eddie Sutton gets in.

It seems the former Oklahoma State coach, finally and deservedly, is destined for membership in the most prominent of all basketball halls of fame.

If it doesn’t happen — if the Naismith voters again say no to Sutton, who turns 83 in a few days — then it qualifies as pointless cruelty.

Why would the Hall of Fame position him for another disappointment? Sutton’s achievements are no less impressive now than they were in 2016, when he most recently fell short as a finalist.

Of the eight men’s college basketball coaches who have at least 800 career wins, Sutton is the only one who isn’t in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
One reason for the expectation Sutton wins this time: the influence of Bill Self.

In 2016, when Sutton most recently fell short as a finalist, Self wasn’t yet a member of the Hall of Fame. Self was inducted in 2017, and over the years he consistently has expressed support of Sutton’s HOF candidacy.
Before becoming the head man at Kansas in 2003, Self coached at Illinois, the University of Tulsa and Oral Roberts. He was an OSU point guard during the ’80s. In 1990-93, he was a Sutton assistant at OSU.
Self and the Suttons — Eddie and coaching sons Sean and Scott — developed a tight and permanent bond.

The guess here is Self networked with the right people, and the result was Sutton again is a finalist.
Sutton coached NCAA Tournament teams at Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma State. He drove Arkansas and OSU to the Final Four. He retired with 806 victories.

I made no attempt to contact Self about the current Sutton situation. Even if Self is partly or chiefly responsible for Sutton’s 2019 finalist status, he would not claim or want credit.

Self would only talk about Sutton’s credentials. He would say something comparable to what he told the Tulsa World in 2016: “Look at Creighton: (An) NCAA Tournament when they weren’t used to that. Look at Arkansas: The elite program in the Southwest Conference. Look at Kentucky: First year, (Sutton is 32-4) with great players.

“Look at Oklahoma State: He had really good players and went to two Final Fours. In my opinion, he’s a Hall of Fame coach. I don’t know what can be said to convince a panel of people.”

This much is known about the ultra-secretive Naismith election process: There are 24 voters, and a finalist must get a minimum of 18 votes to gain entry into the Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2019 is announced April 6, during the Final Four weekend in Minneapolis. The September induction ceremony happens at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Another reason for the belief Sutton gets at least 18 votes: It would be beautiful to see him inducted with Sidney Moncrief, the most prominent of Sutton’s former Arkansas stars.

Moncrief also is a Hall of Fame finalist. He was great as one of Sutton’s Razorback Triplets in 1975-79, and he followed with an 11-season run in the NBA.

“When you add the intangibles to what coach Sutton did on the court, it’s a no-brainer,” Moncrief told the Tulsa World. “He belongs in the Hall of Fame.”

Kentucky got into NCAA trouble while Sutton was the Wildcat coach. His 16-season OSU run ended with a driving-under-the-influence accident in Stillwater. Just for the record, Sutton himself was not implicated in what happened at Kentucky.

Has Sutton been blocked from Hall of Fame membership because of NCAA problems or a personal misstep? Several Hall of Fame coaches have blemishes.

Jerry Tarkanian, Rick Pitino and John Calipari are in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Each coach has an extensive history with NCAA enforcement officials — and each has fewer wins than Sutton.

A source close to the Suttons says the family “feels good” about Eddie’s HOF candidacy.
Maybe I’m being naïve, but so do I.

I believe the political clout of Bill Self provides the impetus for the long-overdue induction of Eddie Sutton into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
On Feb. 15, at 4:32 p.m., there was a surprising text message from Tulsa World sports writer Mark Cooper.
“Eddie Sutton a finalist for the hall again,” Cooper reported.

First reaction: Wow. For the sixth time, Eddie Sutton is a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame finalist. After he was denied in 2016, it seemed that he wouldn’t get another chance.
Second reaction: This time, Eddie Sutton gets in.

It seems the former Oklahoma State coach, finally and deservedly, is destined for membership in the most prominent of all basketball halls of fame.

If it doesn’t happen — if the Naismith voters again say no to Sutton, who turns 83 in a few days — then it qualifies as pointless cruelty.

Why would the Hall of Fame position him for another disappointment? Sutton’s achievements are no less impressive now than they were in 2016, when he most recently fell short as a finalist.

Of the eight men’s college basketball coaches who have at least 800 career wins, Sutton is the only one who isn’t in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
One reason for the expectation Sutton wins this time: the influence of Bill Self.

In 2016, when Sutton most recently fell short as a finalist, Self wasn’t yet a member of the Hall of Fame. Self was inducted in 2017, and over the years he consistently has expressed support of Sutton’s HOF candidacy.
Before becoming the head man at Kansas in 2003, Self coached at Illinois, the University of Tulsa and Oral Roberts. He was an OSU point guard during the ’80s. In 1990-93, he was a Sutton assistant at OSU.
Self and the Suttons — Eddie and coaching sons Sean and Scott — developed a tight and permanent bond.

The guess here is Self networked with the right people, and the result was Sutton again is a finalist.
Sutton coached NCAA Tournament teams at Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma State. He drove Arkansas and OSU to the Final Four. He retired with 806 victories.

I made no attempt to contact Self about the current Sutton situation. Even if Self is partly or chiefly responsible for Sutton’s 2019 finalist status, he would not claim or want credit.

Self would only talk about Sutton’s credentials. He would say something comparable to what he told the Tulsa World in 2016: “Look at Creighton: (An) NCAA Tournament when they weren’t used to that. Look at Arkansas: The elite program in the Southwest Conference. Look at Kentucky: First year, (Sutton is 32-4) with great players.

“Look at Oklahoma State: He had really good players and went to two Final Fours. In my opinion, he’s a Hall of Fame coach. I don’t know what can be said to convince a panel of people.”

This much is known about the ultra-secretive Naismith election process: There are 24 voters, and a finalist must get a minimum of 18 votes to gain entry into the Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2019 is announced April 6, during the Final Four weekend in Minneapolis. The September induction ceremony happens at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Another reason for the belief Sutton gets at least 18 votes: It would be beautiful to see him inducted with Sidney Moncrief, the most prominent of Sutton’s former Arkansas stars.

Moncrief also is a Hall of Fame finalist. He was great as one of Sutton’s Razorback Triplets in 1975-79, and he followed with an 11-season run in the NBA.

“When you add the intangibles to what coach Sutton did on the court, it’s a no-brainer,” Moncrief told the Tulsa World. “He belongs in the Hall of Fame.”

Kentucky got into NCAA trouble while Sutton was the Wildcat coach. His 16-season OSU run ended with a driving-under-the-influence accident in Stillwater. Just for the record, Sutton himself was not implicated in what happened at Kentucky.

Has Sutton been blocked from Hall of Fame membership because of NCAA problems or a personal misstep? Several Hall of Fame coaches have blemishes.

Jerry Tarkanian, Rick Pitino and John Calipari are in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Each coach has an extensive history with NCAA enforcement officials — and each has fewer wins than Sutton.

A source close to the Suttons says the family “feels good” about Eddie’s HOF candidacy.
Maybe I’m being naïve, but so do I.

I believe the political clout of Bill Self provides the impetus for the long-overdue induction of Eddie Sutton into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

So, if Eddie gets in, will the Self haters and bashers on this board give it a rest? I’ve never understood the hatred that some on here have for Bill Self. He’s not perfect, but some on here act as if he stole their gf’s while in college. Sounds like Self deserves a huge round of applause from all of us in orange if Eddie gets in.

Sep 23, 2010
I am a Coach Self fan, but this article is pure speculation about Self driving this train. I don't really think Self has much leverage with the HOF.

What I noticed this past year is a lot coaches prasing Coach Sutton as they come through. Also, Kelvin's emotional post game presser was awesome this year. I also watched a video of Calipari praising Coach Sutton. The momentum nationally has been stronger.

It's unfortunate he hasn't gotten in. I would have loved to seen Coach receive the award with that smile of his, talk about his love for Patsy and the Cowboys. If he gets in this time, at least he'll be able to feel the joy. I would imagine Sean or Scott would speak on his behalf.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I am a Coach Self fan, but this article is pure speculation about Self driving this train. I don't really think Self has much leverage with the HOF.

What I noticed this past year is a lot coaches prasing Coach Sutton as they come through. Also, Kelvin's emotional post game presser was awesome this year. I also watched a video of Calipari praising Coach Sutton. The momentum nationally has been stronger.

It's unfortunate he hasn't gotten in. I would have loved to seen Coach receive the award with that smile of his, talk about his love for Patsy and the Cowboys. If he gets in this time, at least he'll be able to feel the joy. I would imagine Sean or Scott would speak on his behalf.
I always had respect for the fact that Calipari would tell everyone flat out that Eddie could out coach him.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

So, if Eddie gets in, will the Self haters and bashers on this board give it a rest? I’ve never understood the hatred that some on here have for Bill Self. He’s not perfect, but some on here act as if he stole their gf’s while in college. Sounds like Self deserves a huge round of applause from all of us in orange if Eddie gets in.
He spilled beer all over me at Joe’s when I was a freshman and didn’t even acknowledge my presence. At least he left my girlfriend alone.

Last edited: