Earthquake?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Townie, Although I'm not talking free pass I have to admit I'm more afraid of these articles than your news item:

http://www.news9.com/story/31236031/devon-energy-to-begin-layoffs-wednesday

It's an old one but it will happen again. At a greater rate if they are too restricted.
I understand you perfectly well where you're coming from. If you haven't been close enough a 5.0+ earthquake to experience the rapid, prolonged shaking of it, you can't possibly relate to how serious and frightening earthquakes can be. Earthquakes under 5.0 are the type that Boone Pickens would refer to as not real earthquakes. That's how most of them have been like and a major reason why not more is done to try to stop them.

Last edited:

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I understand you perfectly well where you're coming from. If you haven't been close enough a 5.0+ earthquake to experience the rapid, prolonged shaking of it, you can't possibly relate to how serious and frightening earthquakes can be. Earthquakes under 5.0 are the type that Boone Pickens would refer to as not real earthquakes. That's how most of them have been like and a major reason why not more is done to try to stop them.
The possibility of actually getting hurt in an earthquake is not even in my top 100 of things I fear, and buttermilk makes the top 30. Damage to my property is a concern.

I'll admit the alarmists seem to be not totally off base on this one. Early in the debate the experts said there was no way new drilling techniques and increased earthquakes were related, They seem to have changed their tune lately. I can't see how anyone could deny the potential correlation now.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Why am I not surprised? Loss to TCU and now a earthquake here in Stillwater.

Just had a jolt go through my home at 8:12pm.
I didn't notice it even though it was somewhat stronger than usual. It wasn't real close by, thank goodness. It was 3.8 in magnitude, 10 miles northeast of Perry. That is a major reason why more is not done about the earthquakes at the state capitol. They usually happen well out in the middle of nowhere and hardly ever near or under the state capitol during session.

http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Finally, earthquakes are happening again in Oklahoma where more than several people can sense them. About all the hot spots for earthquakes are in rural areas where few people sense them, such as between Hennessy and Perry. So the media ignores them daily. I bet that suits the oil companies just fine.

http://kfor.com/2017/11/27/yukon-earthquakes-linked-to-fracking-well/

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Finally, earthquakes are happening again in Oklahoma where more than several people can sense them. About all the hot spots for earthquakes are in rural areas where few people sense them, such as between Hennessy and Perry. So the media ignores them daily. I bet that suits the oil companies just fine.

http://kfor.com/2017/11/27/yukon-earthquakes-linked-to-fracking-well/
This rig is just a couple miles from my house (I'm kinda surprised they would be operating this close to town) and we've felt 2 quakes in the last week though I know there's been more. What's weird about them though is that they're just a single sudden slam and then that's it. It's more annoying than actually worrisome for me. The last one was a 2:30 in the morning and I might have slept through it if not for my dogs losing their minds...

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Just had a few jolts of an earthquake at my home 4 miles nw of Stillwater (near Country Club Rd and Airport Rd)
Shook the chair I was sitting in for about 3 seconds.
Happened at 10:26pm