Early Predictions of Cowboy Schedule

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
“We didn’t play as well last year as we should have, in my opinion, and it was the result of me not doing my job and holding coaches and players accountable. We weren’t a very disciplined football team. We weren’t a very tough football team. Those are two areas we can control the outcome.”

This is a statement from Coach Gundy over the offseason. Every coach gives coachspeak answers, but I think Coach Gundy was sincerely upset over the lack of discipline & toughness last season. He really took ownership of our struggles last year.

I loved how tough our defense played during the bowl game. I'll a targeting penalty from time to time whenever our defenders are flying to the ball to make hits. I hope we see the same type of toughness & intensity this season.
Gundy has said similar things every offseason. I don't doubt how upset he was or that he has taken ownership of it. But just being upset about it and "taking ownership" of it don't mean anything. Show me the results. How many times has he been upset at and "taken ownership" of special teams in the last few seasons?

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
If the OrSt and McNeese St scores are that close, I think 6-6 is a lot more realistic than 10-2.
The problem is that we struggle early in the season and make bad teams look better than they are. Also, there's a tendency to not come in as focused on teams we're supposed to beat. Thus the closer score calls. For example, last year beating Boise like a rented mule, then sucking gas to some bad Big 12 teams.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Oct 30, 2007
Gundy has said similar things every offseason. I don't doubt how upset he was or that he has taken ownership of it. But just being upset about it and "taking ownership" of it don't mean anything. Show me the results. How many times has he been upset at and "taken ownership" of special teams in the last few seasons?
I've listened to Coach Gundy's press conferences every year since his first season. I can't remember an offseason where he was this upset about falling short of expectations. I can't blame him. We weren't mentally tough enough last year. We had too many games where we didn't show up to play. That comes down to a lack of focus & discipline.

Coach Gundy has said the right things. I know he wants a more consistent team this year, but a lot of that comes down to the players. We'll have to see how things play out.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Last season, we finished 115th in the nation in penalties.

In 2017, we finished 37th. In 2016, 47th.

That’s the discipline ownership he is referring to. Do you think we are going to finish outside the top 100 in penalties again?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

That’s the discipline ownership he is referring to. Do you think we are going to finish outside the top 100 in penalties again?
Who knows? I'm definitely not going to base a prediction off of July/August coachspeak. Hopefully we do!

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Who knows? I'm definitely not going to base a prediction off of July/August coachspeak. Hopefully we do!
I don’t think what he was referring to was coachspeak. When he talked about discipline, I think he is specifically talking about those penalties which cost us at least one game last year.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

....and a number of very close games where the penalty yards were crucial. We could very easily have had 9 or 10 wins last year.

Iowa St 48 - OSU 42
Baylor 35 - OSU 31
Land Thieves 48 - OSU 47
TCU 31 - OSU 24

Four losses by a total of 17 points. Penalties played a big part in at least 2 of those losses.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don’t think what he was referring to was coachspeak. When he talked about discipline, I think he is specifically talking about those penalties which cost us at least one game last year.
Fair enough. I'm just tired of the "THIS year is going to be different" for [xxxxxxx] reasons (based on a few practices), and then its the same ol' same ol' when it comes down to playing real football games.

I understand people are excited about the return of football in general, but I just personally get tired of buying all the hype and then seeing us underperform year after year.

I'm kinda digressing, though, because these areas are where Gundy does his job well. If he actually puts the time into it, I believe he can make a difference in discipline. I'm just not buying it until I see us actually play a game.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Fair enough. I'm just tired of the "THIS year is going to be different" for [xxxxxxx] reasons (based on a few practices), and then its the same ol' same ol' when it comes down to playing real football games.

I understand people are excited about the return of football in general, but I just personally get tired of buying all the hype and then seeing us underperform year after year.

I'm kinda digressing, though, because these areas are where Gundy does his job well. If he actually puts the time into it, I believe he can make a difference in discipline. I'm just not buying it until I see us actually play a game.
Regarding giving up sacks, better special teams play, and overall defensive improvement, I agree with you for the most part.

I need to see those things actually improve before I believe the hype.

The discipline, though, I can believe since last year was an outlier when compared to past seasons.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
....and a number of very close games where the penalty yards were crucial. We could very easily have had 9 or 10 wins last year.

Iowa St 48 - OSU 42
Baylor 35 - OSU 31
Land Thieves 48 - OSU 47
TCU 31 - OSU 24

Four losses by a total of 17 points. Penalties played a big part in at least 2 of those losses.
The Baylor game, specifically, we lost due to penalties.

Four point loss, 133 penalty yards.

Yuck.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Underperform year after year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Really? Why don't you cite a few of them...
You really need me to cite coachspeak from past seasons? Like the time he said he was excited about our defense, that it might be the best he's ever seen, then we had a terrible defense? Or how we needed to prioritize special teams, then had terrible special teams for several years? Etc........

Look, all I'm saying is that I've learned to curb my enthusiasm for upcoming OSU football seasons, because we hear the same hype every year, and every year we fall short of it. I'm just not buying the hype until I see a reason to buy it.

Every team in the NCAA "feels really good" about the upcoming season. That alone isn't a reason to buy the hype.

Who was it, RA that said our defense was like TCU on steroids? Hahah......ahhahahahahahahahahaha!

Personally, I'm excited to see our new offense. I'm excited to see how our OL performs. I'm excited to see how Knowles' defense improves in year 2. But I'm still not buying anything that the media or the coaches are saying until I see it in person, against actual opponents.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

Not to pile on, but....

From 2007 to 2018 OSU had the 10th best winning percent in college football. The same ol' same ol' when it comes down to playing real football games has been really, really good. TCU had a 1% higher win percentage, but several of those seasons were in a lesser conference. So legitimately we are second only to the Land Thieves.

There are over 100 schools that would like to have that kind of consistent success.

So it just seem odd to be so down on the program. I'm wondering what is it that leaves you so dissatisfied?

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/where...r-the-last-10-years-in-college-football-wins/

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Not to pile on, but....

From 2007 to 2018 OSU had the 10th best winner percent in college football. The same ol' same ol' when it comes down to playing real football games has been really, really good. TCU had a 1% higher win percentage, but several of those seasons were in a lesser conference. So legitimately second only to the Land Thieves.

There are over 100 schools that would like to have that kind of consistent success.

So it just seem odd to be so down on the program. I'm wondering what is it that leaves you so dissatisfied?

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/where...r-the-last-10-years-in-college-football-wins/
I'm not "down on the program". I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations, and not get over-excited about what we can accomplish. Especially based purely on preseason commentary, following a 9th place finish in a 10-team conference, going 7-6, and now breaking in a new OC and OL coach.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Not to pile on, but....

From 2007 to 2018 OSU had the 10th best winner percent in college football. The same ol' same ol' when it comes down to playing real football games has been really, really good. TCU had a 1% higher win percentage, but several of those seasons were in a lesser conference. So legitimately second only to the Land Thieves.

I'm not "down on the program". I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations, and not get over-excited about what we can accomplish. Especially based purely on preseason commentary, following a 9th place finish in a 10-team conference, going 7-6, and now breaking in a new OC and OL coach.
I think having realistic expectations is a good suggestion for everyone. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I think having realistic expectations is a good suggestion for everyone. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised.

I think realistic expectations are relative to each fan, though. What’s realistic to you may seem pessimistic to someone else and vice versa.