Dunn is in over his head

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yep, I miss that offense too, but it's clear Gundy is more comfortable counting on our Defense to win the game than a freshman QB.

I will say though I was thinking it used to be fun saying the Defense needs a break because we scored so fast they would be right back on the field. That beats the defense needs a break because we went three and out so they are right back on the field.
It's frustrating that people view this in a binary sense (not saying that's your stance). Being creative and aggressive on offense doesn't mean going "warp speed". I'm cool with a dink and dunk offense, but I don't approve of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, because we simply don't have the athletes to make the latter work if our goal is the CFP. Again, if the goal is to win 9 games and make a random bowl, then sure.....let's be vanilla and safe forever. But that's not my goal. I think we have the potential to achieve more, but I believe we'll need to be WAY more creative and aggressive on offense to accomplish it.

Personally, I don't think we have enough data this season to know what Dunn brings to the table. Based on past experiences, though, I have reason to suspect that we won't see much innovation on offense. We may see some good games due to superior athleticism, but I really think our system needs to be overhauled if we want to compete at all with some of the stronger teams across the country. We don't have the horses to beat them man to man. We have to out-scheme them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Yep, I miss that offense too, but it's clear Gundy is more comfortable counting on our Defense to win the game than a freshman QB.

I will say though I was thinking it used to be fun saying the Defense needs a break because we scored so fast they would be right back on the field. That beats the defense needs a break because we went three and out so they are right back on the field.
It's frustrating that people view this in a binary sense. Being creative and aggressive on offense doesn't mean going "warp speed". I'm cool with a dink and dunk offense, but I don't approve of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, because we simply don't have the athletes to make the latter work if our goal is the CFP. Again, if the goal is to win 9 games and make a random bowl, then sure.....let's be vanilla and safe forever. But that's not my goal. I think we have the potential to achieve more, but I believe we'll need to be WAY more creative and aggressive on offense to accomplish it.
That’s part of being a fan. We always want more. Doesn’t make it right, but it’s just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Did I ever say we ran circles against our opponent? What I said was that we suffered a string of injuries in the first quarter that forced our coaches, during halftime, to completely reconstruct our offense line, utilizing the guys left standing that had the most practice snaps. We put Bullock in QB when Sanders went down. Bullock never got the benefit of Spring to learn our offense. He has been a battle for the back up with Illingworth for the QB2 slot. He only got it because Illingworth had been in Covid lockdown for two weeks. The coaches didn't plan any of this, it just happened. They reacted to it by making the changes when they were needed.

TU's coaches on the other hand were obviously having a hard time. They had a substitution infraction and two delays-of-game, as well has having to call several time outs to avoid additional delays-of-game. On top of that, the instructed their CBs to not let Wallace get by them, even if that meant getting a holding call or a PI. They used the same tactic in last year's game in Tulsa. Take the 15 instead of giving Wallace a 40 yard reception.

The story above pretty much indicates that our coaches clearly out coached the TU coaches. You just seem to have a burr up your butt and nobody is going to convince differently.
You will never get the 15 yds penalty when your QB keep running the ball?

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
The only thing we really have to go off of was that first drive in the Tulsa game where they did go fast. It will come back. Maybe...the defense is looking so good maybe its better to be slower this season.
The D will look better if we can hold the football for a good 8 minutes like we did in the 4th quarter.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
We stagnated, but I liked that we cracked open the WR screens early on (it may have been in scripted territory). That definitely makes it easier on the Oline

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
To clarify.....the following statements are not the same.

1. Dunn is in over his head (disagree / we simply don't know yet)
2. Our offensive scheme could improve (agree / have agreed for years)
3. I'm disappointed in how our offense has performed so far (kinda agree, but given the circumstances it's understandable)

There's nuance in these discussions. Not everything has to be binary.

Nov 6, 2010
I just want to see receivers actually getting open consistently again. Is that too much to ask? Other than Washington beating his man deep about once a game, this just hasn't happened since Monken was around.
Is it that or are our QB's just not finding the open receiver??

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Is it that or are our QB's just not finding the open receiver??

QB's struggle to find them sometimes, but we haven't had receivers consistently finding separation from DB's since the Monken/Holgy days. And the reason is because ever since then, we've been afraid to consistently attack the middle of the field.

Nov 6, 2010
QB's struggle to find them sometimes, but we haven't had receivers consistently finding separation from DB's since the Monken/Holgy days. And the reason is because ever since then, we've been afraid to consistently attack the middle of the field.
I remember one of the hallmarks of the Holgy offense was spreading the ball around to all the receivers. I wonder how much it affects the effort of the 3rd and 4th read if they know they're not getting the ball.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
100% agree on the last statement. I also think it's because Gundy uses the PI penalty as part of our offense (literally), so he's cool with giving a guy like JW or Tylan chances to play 500 with DBs if it results in penalties 1 out of 4 tries. It's a BS strategy that only works against lesser opponents, and is not a scheme we should employ if we want to really compete with the big boys.

I also think it's because Rudolph chronically under-threw the ball, so JW had to come back to it all the time, making it look like he never got separation.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Any idea? That's extreme. We should definitely know *some* stuff by this season, but we should rush to judge his abilities until maybe season 2-3.
He didn't have Spring football or a normal summer or fall camp w/o COVID interruptions. On top of that his QB gets hurt in the 1st quarter of the first game. We don't know how many games will actually be played this season and what impact the 2020 schedule and COVID will have on the 2021 season. So no, we won't have any real idea until '21 or '22 depending on what happens w/ football and COVID's impact on it.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
The offense was worse under Yurcich than it was under Holgorsen, Monken and Fedora.

Yes or Yes?
Yes but I am not entirely sure it was him.

His play calling looked different in his debut at Texas, almost like he suddenly found the middle of the field. Go watch Weeden and that 2011 team and see how much space we used. That was Gundy's complaint about Bama playing LSU that year, he said we would have used all 52 yards across the field and spread LSU out.

We never do that anymore. Our slot receivers route tree is boring, our TE's might as well become o-linemen since we don't use them in the passing game anyway, and the only downfield stuff we do is if we have 1 on 1. Gundy went from getting the ball to athletes in space all over the field and hiding our talent deficiencies to hoping all 11 guys win their battle on every play. Problem is they don't and we can't move the ball with any type of rhythm. We're boring and predictable. If there is a bust guys like Wallace and Chuba (when he plays like he gives a crap) can make a team pay but we're not good enough to win conference championships, let alone anything related to the CFP, playing that way 12 games a season.
He finished in the Top 7 nationally in total offense all 5 years he was at OSU

Yeah, but that’s not good enough.
We could have been a contender. We could have been somebody.

Sep 23, 2010
We just don't seem to attack the middle deep part of the field like we used to. Our scheme used to have dudes just running wide open on post routes or deep slants with a ton of space around them. Right now it's screen, quick out, or throw it deep down the sideline hoping for an awesome catch or Pass Interference. I thought our receivers were going to be a strength this year. But that's hard to do when you don't use the whole field.