Dunn is in over his head

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
If Yurcich left to be the OC at Ohio State, yes obviously that would be an improvement. He left to be their QB coach. That was a regressive move.
I don't know...he made $1.3 mil at tOSu (with bonus, salary of $950k), now he has a salary of $1.7mil at UT as OC which at the time of the contract signing made him the highest paid OC in college football. Sounds like he made a good career decision.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...e-yurcich-salary-to-lure-him-from-ohio-state/

Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day said in the wake of the move at the time that he didn’t want to lose Yurcich but that the money was a significant factor. We’ll say.

It seems that UT will pay Yurcich $1.7 million over the next three seasons as part of his deal — roughly doubling what he was making at OSU. That was already a robust $950,000 in Columbus — among the top 30 coaches in the country in 2019 as is according to USA Today.

That will make Yurcich, at least temporarily, the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country in 2020.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I don't know...he made $1.3 mil at tOSu (with bonus, salary of $950k), now he has a salary of $1.7mil at UT as OC which at the time of the contract signing made him the highest paid OC in college football. Sounds like he made a good career decision.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...e-yurcich-salary-to-lure-him-from-ohio-state/

Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day said in the wake of the move at the time that he didn’t want to lose Yurcich but that the money was a significant factor. We’ll say.

It seems that UT will pay Yurcich $1.7 million over the next three seasons as part of his deal — roughly doubling what he was making at OSU. That was already a robust $950,000 in Columbus — among the top 30 coaches in the country in 2019 as is according to USA Today.

That will make Yurcich, at least temporarily, the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country in 2020.
I'll gladly wager you $100 he is not the OC in Austin next season, because it was a desperate move by a desperate head coach who is trying anything to save his job. Mike Yurcich is not a quality Power5 Offensive Coordinator.

Yurcich was great at getting huge numbers in the garbage games, but continually faltered against teams with actual good defenses, and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze when there were so many competent OC's readily available.

‐‐---‐--------
I'd love for Dunn to be a great OC, I just don't see it in his track record, the other schools that wanted him to be their OC or Gundy's odd preference for hiring obscure OC's in lieu of proven OC's

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'll gladly wager you $100 he is not the OC in Austin next season, because it was a desperate move by a desperate head coach who is trying anything to save his job. Mike Yurcich is not a quality Power5 Offensive Coordinator.

Yurcich was great at getting huge numbers in the garbage games, but continually faltered against teams with actual good defenses, and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze when there were so many competent OC's readily available.

‐‐---‐--------
I'd love for Dunn to be a great OC, I just don't see it in his track record, the other schools that wanted him to be their OC or Gundy's odd preference for hiring obscure OC's in lieu of proven OC's
Now I'm really worried, I mean, my god, if you 'just don't see it in his track record', we're screwed. What, with your infinite knowledge & all.

Any other things you 'see' that you'll let us in on?:facepalm:

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Yeah....we didn't out coach anyone!!! I agree with everything else. When your opponent self implodes and has 15 penalties for 120 yds, that's not necessarily running circles against your opponent, much less out coaching them. TU simply wet the bed, especially on offense. Honestly, you make the argument TU lost this game more than OSU won it. The title on the okstate.com website describes what happened today....."No. 11 Oklahoma State survives against Tulsa, 16-7".....I would say we survived "barely"!! Onto Big XII play!
Did I ever say we ran circles against our opponent? What I said was that we suffered a string of injuries in the first quarter that forced our coaches, during halftime, to completely reconstruct our offense line, utilizing the guys left standing that had the most practice snaps. We put Bullock in QB when Sanders went down. Bullock never got the benefit of Spring to learn our offense. He has been a battle for the back up with Illingworth for the QB2 slot. He only got it because Illingworth had been in Covid lockdown for two weeks. The coaches didn't plan any of this, it just happened. They reacted to it by making the changes when they were needed.

TU's coaches on the other hand were obviously having a hard time. They had a substitution infraction and two delays-of-game, as well has having to call several time outs to avoid additional delays-of-game. On top of that, the instructed their CBs to not let Wallace get by them, even if that meant getting a holding call or a PI. They used the same tactic in last year's game in Tulsa. Take the 15 instead of giving Wallace a 40 yard reception.

The story above pretty much indicates that our coaches clearly out coached the TU coaches. You just seem to have a burr up your butt and nobody is going to convince differently.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Did I ever say we ran circles against our opponent? What I said was that we suffered a string of injuries in the first quarter that forced our coaches, during halftime, to completely reconstruct our offense line, utilizing the guys left standing that had the most practice snaps. We put Bullock in QB when Sanders went down. Bullock never got the benefit of Spring to learn our offense. He has been a battle for the back up with Illingworth for the QB2 slot. He only got it because Illingworth had been in Covid lockdown for two weeks. The coaches didn't plan any of this, it just happened. They reacted to it by making the changes when they were needed.

TU's coaches on the other hand were obviously having a hard time. They had a substitution infraction and two delays-of-game, as well has having to call several time outs to avoid additional delays-of-game. On top of that, the instructed their CBs to not let Wallace get by them, even if that meant getting a holding call or a PI. They used the same tactic in last year's game in Tulsa. Take the 15 instead of giving Wallace a 40 yard reception.

The story above pretty much indicates that our coaches clearly out coached the TU coaches. You just seem to have a burr up your butt and nobody is going to convince differently.
Dude I agreed with everything you said...just not out coaching them. Anyone who watch that game would admit TU literally gave that game away and they lost that game more than we won it. If their offense had a pulse, they win the game. TU had every opportunity from a called back go ahead TD from a illegal procedure to a miss chip shot FG. We did benefit from not facing their best defensive player in the 2nd half due to cramps. Both defenses were outstanding, both offense were garbage, and outside of a miss FG, special teams were even.!! I don’t see anyone out coaching anyone. I one team barely won and fortunately it was us despite TU having multiple chances...Sorry I don’t see everything with orange glasses.

TU corners are physical and Tylan struggled. Did they grab and hold....sure but at times they simply were giving our WRs the business. Whoever their DB coach is doing a good job recruiting because they have some quality athletes in the secondary.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Dude I agreed with everything you said...just not out coaching them. Anyone who watch that game would admit TU literally gave that game away and they lost that game more than we won it. If their offense had a pulse, they win the game. TU had every opportunity from a called back go ahead TD from a illegal procedure to a miss chip shot FG. We did benefit from not facing their best defensive player in the 2nd half due to cramps. Both defenses were outstanding, both offense were garbage, and outside of a miss FG, special teams were even.!! I don’t see anyone out coaching anyone. I one team barely won and fortunately it was us despite TU having multiple chances...Sorry I don’t see everything with orange glasses.

TU corners are physical and Tylan struggled. Did they grab and hold....sure but at times they simply were giving our WRs the business. Whoever their DB coach is doing a good job recruiting because they have some quality athletes in the secondary.
https://tulsahurricane.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/aaron-fletcher/1536

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2006
Dude I agreed with everything you said...just not out coaching them. Anyone who watch that game would admit TU literally gave that game away and they lost that game more than we won it. If their offense had a pulse, they win the game. TU had every opportunity from a called TD from a illegal procedure to a miss chip shot FG... Sorry I don’t see everything with orange glasses.

Part of good coaching is keeping your team from making mistakes. Especially the same ones over and over. They were the most penalized team in the country last year and if they keep this up, they will be again. That's bad coaching.

Tylan struggled because we didn't give him a chance. He doesn't shy away from contact or physical play. They were physical with him last year and it didn't matter, because we actually gave him a shot to catch the ball. Same thing happened Saturday after Illingworth came in and went right to him.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Part of good coaching is keeping your team from making mistakes. Especially the same ones over and over. They were the most penalized team in the country last year and if they keep this up, they will be again. That's bad coaching.

Tylan struggled because we didn't give him a chance. He doesn't shy away from contact or physical play. They were physical with him last year and it didn't matter, because we actually gave him a shot to catch the ball. Same thing happened Saturday after Illingworth came in and went right to him.
That's sounds more like discipline than "out coaching" your opponent. I do agree we were more discipline, but we had our share of penalties. Being disciple is a two way street....you can teach, coach it, but at the end of the day the player has to hold their side of the bargain. That's not necessarily bad coaching. Some it sure, but when players are constantly jumping offsides, false starting, late hits out of bounds, that speaks to the discipline of the player.

Tylan struggled b/c of the offense correct, but his opponent were doing a good job pressing him, and he struggled to handle it at times. I never said he shy's away from contact, that's literally stating the obvious, dude is one of the more violent players in the country. TU has some quality players in the secondary and Todd McShay as well as the commentators were singing their praising and after watching it again, I could see why. Tylan got his in the 4th quarter, which I wouldn't expect anything else, but I acknowledge a solid DB when I see it. Hell even Robert Allen admitted their secondary was better than he thought.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Not a very impressive debut by our new O-Coordinator. Maybe Gundy knew what he was doing not promoting
him to this position earlier
No, it wasn't that impressive and that might be by design.
You've got the first game of the year against Tulsa. Of course, you're picked to win by 23 points and really don't feel you have to do much to kick a hapless, can't-even-practice Tulsa team. You've also been told how great you're going to be with 2 All-Americans and 1legit Heisman candidate.
Plus, you've got to get the basics down before jumping right into conference play, so keep the playbook simple and easy on the basics.
Well, that wasn't much of a problem until Sanders when down with an injury. Then, BIG PROBLEM.

I feel Dunn and Gundy didn't want to tip their hand before conference games.
Hopefully, we'll see how the game plan goes against a true threat -- WVU --- next Saturday.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
When the offense is good the OC gets the credit. When the offense struggles it’s all Gundy’s fault.
By comparing the comments I have seen here to our offensive numbers under Yurcich, I would say when the offense is good the OC gets slammed, and when the offense struggles it's all Gundy's fault.

Feb 18, 2009
The offense was worse under Yurcich than it was under Holgorsen, Monken and Fedora.

Yes or Yes?
Yes but I am not entirely sure it was him.

His play calling looked different in his debut at Texas, almost like he suddenly found the middle of the field. Go watch Weeden and that 2011 team and see how much space we used. That was Gundy's complaint about Bama playing LSU that year, he said we would have used all 52 yards across the field and spread LSU out.

We never do that anymore. Our slot receivers route tree is boring, our TE's might as well become o-linemen since we don't use them in the passing game anyway, and the only downfield stuff we do is if we have 1 on 1. Gundy went from getting the ball to athletes in space all over the field and hiding our talent deficiencies to hoping all 11 guys win their battle on every play. Problem is they don't and we can't move the ball with any type of rhythm. We're boring and predictable. If there is a bust guys like Wallace and Chuba (when he plays like he gives a crap) can make a team pay but we're not good enough to win conference championships, let alone anything related to the CFP, playing that way 12 games a season.

Sep 6, 2011
Nothing against your comment, but I've heard this SOOOOOO many times. Our offense always looks the same. There are VERY few times when one of our guys is just WIDE open, why is that?
Agreed. Gundy talks all the time about how well the conference teams know each other and how there aren't really any secrets...it comes down to execution, not who's hidden the most of their playbook in earlier games. The notion of "not showing too much" just doesn't add up. The guys weren't exactly executing the base, vanilla offense anywhere close to perfect (plays that they've probably ran over a hundred times each in the last few weeks), so why would the coaches start going deeper in the playbook after losing the starting QB and several linemen?

Dunn was a receiver in college and has spent a large chunk of his career coaching receivers. He's not suddenly going to turn into a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust play caller.