Dunn is in over his head

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Ok, so what other options are there?
You're seeing it tonight with Alabama.

We saw it last year in the Championship game as well.

Against the match/man coverage these teams play, through formation, motion etc...Put your best, most explosive players in the backfield to make them a linebacker cover, then get them in the flats matched up on those linebackers.

If the linebackers are blitzing they go uncovered.

It's why I kept saying that, in our bowl game, that we needed to swing our backs out.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I think that Saban guy needs to call Gundy for some coaching lessons. Everyone knows a great coach gets up by a TD or two and then slows down on the aggressive play calling. The amateur.

Nov 14, 2010
That Zone away veer play that Fields just ran for a bunch of yards is exactly the type of stuff we need to be doing in our run game and with Spencer Sanders.

That play has a full flow read with the back and a fast flow read with these Qb.

Next it will have a pass prong added to it.

JW Walsh ran that play over and over and over in High School.

Aug 16, 2012
You're seeing it tonight with Alabama.

We saw it last year in the Championship game as well.

Against the match/man coverage these teams play, through formation, motion etc...Put your best, most explosive players in the backfield to make them a linebacker cover, then get them in the flats matched up on those linebackers.

If the linebackers are blitzing they go uncovered.

It's why I kept saying that, in our bowl game, that we needed to swing our backs out.
Here is a surprising revelation when I looked up the passing stats above. Of our top 10 pass receivers, RBs did not show up until #8 (tie, Hubbard) and #10 (Brown). Of 197 completed passes to the top 10 receivers, only 14 were to a running back (7%). By comparison with the two others, Ohio State had three in the top 10 for 17 of their total 139 receptions (12%) while Clemson had but one RB in their top-10 receptions with a whopping 48 catches of their 293 for 16% all by himself.

Oh, and per my stats above, Ohio State actually targeted a TE 2.8 times a game, not 1.8. forgot they only played 7 games.

Nov 14, 2010
Here is a surprising revelation when I looked up the passing stats above. Of our top 10 pass receivers, RBs did not show up until #8 (tie, Hubbard) and #10 (Brown). Of 197 completed passes to the top 10 receivers, only 14 were to a running back (7%). By comparison with the two others, Ohio State had three in the top 10 for 17 of their total 139 receptions (12%) while Clemson had but one RB in their top-10 receptions with a whopping 48 catches of their 293 for 16% all by himself.

Oh, and per my stats above, Ohio State actually targeted a TE 2.8 times a game, not 1.8. forgot they only played 7 games.
When you say they targeted a tight end, do you mean by position, as in throwing to a player that is attached to the line of scrimmage, or the player that is listed as the tight end regardless of where he lines up?

Aug 16, 2012
When you say they targeted a tight end, do you mean by position, as in throwing to a player that is attached to the line of scrimmage, or the player that is listed as the tight end regardless of where he lines up?
Just by position stats for TEs (or CWB for us) for the three teams being bantered about.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
So let’s see, the best two teams last night used their TE (the key to success) for a total of 3 catches for 63 yards and no touchdowns. Yeah, I think I will stick to my original premise that the majority of coaches at any level would rather win the trenches than a TE that can catch and block.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Its amazing to me that Alabama won that game. Their qb is not extremely mobile, they throw the ball to the middle of the field, their rushing game goes places besides the middle of the field and they are fun to watch. That's not football.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Its amazing to me that Alabama won that game. Their qb is not extremely mobile, they throw the ball to the middle of the field, their rushing game goes places besides the middle of the field and they are fun to watch. That's not football.
Exactly. Saban is clueless. His game management is why they couldn't get to the Cheez-It Bowl and finish ranked 20th. Dude needs to spend some time studying #gundyball if he really wants to succeed. Throwing seam routes to non-WRs? Who would even attempt something that risky?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Exactly. Saban is clueless. His game management is why they couldn't get to the Cheez-It Bowl and finish ranked 20th. Dude needs to spend some time studying #gundyball if he really wants to succeed. Throwing seam routes to non-WRs? Who would even attempt something that risky?
Well, he does have to overcome 10 straight top-3 recruiting classes that turned into dozens and dozens of high draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Well, he does have to overcome 10 straight top-3 recruiting classes that turned into dozens and dozens of high draft picks.
Yep. Dudes like playing for a coach with cajones. Gundy could teach him how to bring in those top-40 classes so he can soar to Cheez-It Bowls heights!
Saban (without 7 natties) would nail down top-40 classes in Stilly too.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Yep. Dudes like playing for a coach with cajones. Gundy could teach him how to bring in those top-40 classes so he can soar to Cheez-It Bowls heights!

For sure he would but they would be somewhere around 15th and he would try to improve or he would move where he could improve. That's why he is the best college football coach of a generation. He doesn't settle for anything but the best and he gets it out of his players.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

For sure he would but they would be somewhere around 15th and he would try to improve or he would move where he could improve. That's why he is the best college football coach of a generation. He doesn't settle for anything but the best and he gets it out of his players.

No doubt he’s a great coach. But let’s not necessarily crown him the best “coach” ever since he’s essentially given the best players ever and granted unlimited financial resources. By many of you Gundy bashers standards, Saban would be a massive failure if he didn’t have at least 3 NCs.

BTW, if you’re saying Saban could recruit around 15 in Stillwater, you’re delusional. He wasn’t some king of recruiting at Toledo or MSU where his results were kinda average.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

No doubt he’s a great coach. But let’s not necessarily crown him the best “coach” ever since he’s essentially given the best players ever and granted unlimited financial resources. By many of you Gundy bashers standards, Saban would be a massive failure if he didn’t have at least 3 NCs.

BTW, if you’re saying Saban could recruit around 15 in Stillwater, you’re delusional. He wasn’t some king of recruiting at Toledo or MSU where his results were kinda average.

You're blind