Dumb/Sometimes LOL Political Pictures

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Is there any truth to this? Anyone good at investigating?
That's the company Obama awarded the contract to publish books for Common Core around 350 million dollar deal that was very lucrative as we all know texbooks are hellion expensive. Yes it was one of their subsidiaries that gave Obama his book deal as well as the others.

Nov 23, 2010
Is there any truth to this? Anyone good at investigating?
From what I can tell $350 million was given to some consortiums to develop common core tests, some of that money filtered to Pearson.

Pearson owned 25% of PenguinRandomHouse at the time the Obama's signed their deal. Barack's earlier books were also published by RandomHouse. Pearson has subsequently given up their interest in PRH. As of March 2019, Becoming had sold 10 million copies. I'm not sure what the economics of the book industry is these days, but that seems like a decent return for PRH's investment.

John Fallon is retiring in 2020, but not until a successor is named. I would assume that it has as much to do with the stock price dropping 57% during his tenure as whatever it is we believe the FBI discovered.

The other political figures have published books with the various imprints of MacMillan Publishers.

Robert Maxwell purchased the US version of Macmillan, which is not the same one. He also died in 1991, so not sure what he has to do with anything.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
That's the company Obama awarded the contract to publish books for Common Core around 350 million dollar deal that was very lucrative as we all know texbooks are hellion expensive. Yes it was one of their subsidiaries that gave Obama his book deal as well as the others.
Of course all that is not absolute proof of corruption, the Obama deal was over the top, got to sell a shit ton of books to make back 65 million before you break even. The others seem more legit where they thought they would get their money back and make a few bucks.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
From what I can tell $350 million was given to some consortiums to develop common core tests, some of that money filtered to Pearson.

Pearson owned 25% of PenguinRandomHouse at the time the Obama's signed their deal. Barack's earlier books were also published by RandomHouse. Pearson has subsequently given up their interest in PRH. As of March 2019, Becoming had sold 10 million copies. I'm not sure what the economics of the book industry is these days, but that seems like a decent return for PRH's investment.

John Fallon is retiring in 2020, but not until a successor is named. I would assume that it has as much to do with the stock price dropping 57% during his tenure as whatever it is we believe the FBI discovered.

The other political figures have published books with the various imprints of MacMillan Publishers.

Robert Maxwell purchased the US version of Macmillan, which is not the same one. He also died in 1991, so not sure what he has to do with anything.
So what do you think this all sums up too? Nefarious? Coincidence? Legit?

Nov 23, 2010
So what do you think this all sums up too? Nefarious? Coincidence? Legit?
I don't think it adds up to much. Agree with @Deere Poke that they won't get their money back from the Obama deal itself, but I could imagine them figuring they could get other authors to sign with them for less with the pitch "don't you want to be on a roster list with the Obamas?"

Biggest thing I've learned is that consolidation in publishing may be worse than in other industries.