Dreaded sense of inevitability

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 24, 2011
So Tulsa is now 5-1 with their 1 loss to us...They may actually be our best win...not just the best non-con win in the country. No doubt they are about the same as ISU and KSU. When do they play Cinci after Cinci chickened out earlier in the year?
December 12, one week before they will play again.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Are you guys doing a comedy bit from a movie or something?

You're still arguing about Cate vs. Weeden? Like for real? Zac Robinson vs. Bobby Reid??

Whaaaaaa? In 2020?

That was over a DECADE ago. There are some people in this thread that clearly prefer arguing and holding onto old grumpy feelings than embracing the facts
1) We have a good team. A nationally ranked team.
2) Two QBs that could start at many P5 programs.
3) We have a chance to take the driver's seat in the Big 12 Conference for the first time in a decade.
4) Our defense is top 10 in the country, Obviously better when everyone is healthy.
5) A chance to beat a team we've had a horrible record against on the road on national television

I truly believe some of you would complain about Bella Hadid slipping into your DMs.

Take a walk, play catch with your dog, build something in your garage.

ENJOY THIS FREAKING RIDE GENTLEMEN
Fyi, I didn't know what any of this highlighted sentence ment until I looked it up...had never heard of Bella Hadid (a looker btw) and didn't know what "slipping into my DMs" was...I'm still having trouble with the second part since I don't live on line and am a digital foreigner instead of a digital native. lol...Just so you know what you are dealing with a decade ago to me is like yesterday...We could be arguing about Gundy's decision to throw deep to Bret Parker and I recall that like it happened a decade ago. Coach is younger than me.

Just so you know, a lot of us are perhaps a whole lot older than you realize. ;-) If someone slipped into my DM's I wouldn't know how to open them...since I don't have DM's, at least I don't think I do. I've been paying close attention to OSU football since Jim Stanley was HC, and it's much the same for many on this board.

Jun 14, 2011
Fyi, I didn't know what any of this highlighted sentence ment until I looked it up...had never heard of Bella Hadid (a looker btw) and didn't know what "slipping into my DMs" was...I'm still having trouble with the second part since I don't live on line and am a digital foreigner instead of a digital native. lol...Just so you know what you are dealing with a decade ago to me is like yesterday...We could be arguing about Gundy's decision to throw deep to Bret Parker and I recall that like it happened a decade ago. Coach is younger than me.

Just so you know, a lot of us are perhaps a whole lot older than you realize. ;-) If someone slipped into my DM's I wouldn't know how to open them...since I don't have DM's, at least I don't think I do. I've been paying close attention to OSU football since Jim Stanley was HC, and it's much the same for many on this board.
Lol

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No way I can prove it, but I just have a gut feeling that if Gundy would have had the contempt and swagger toward uo that Miles had, he would have had at least two more Bedlam wins. Miles knew how to get his team up for a rival, Gundy is clueless on how to do that.
Nope he believes whole heartedly in the opposite approach. The it’s just another game approach. Emotional guys like me agree with you...but golfers would agree with Gundy.

Aug 16, 2012
Our offense was the zone-read. In fact, I believe ZRob got hurt later in the season on a QB keeper off the zone-read.

The QB depth chart is determined based on the offense you run, not a truncated version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk it
Dude.

Carefully follow what I am saying.

This is not about ZRob. Yes, ZRob-led offenses were zone read and yes, he got hurt on the last offensive play of the TTU game.

This is about CATE VS. WEEDEN one of which after ZRob went down was going to have to lead the offense the following week.

Neither were zone read QBs. Neither.

IN THE CU GAME....Neither QB ran the zone read offense.

It was the pistol. They handed the ball off to Toston or Hunter and got the hell out of the way.

The offense was the same in the first half as it was in the second half.

In the absence of ZRob, it was clear the offense was adjusted to suit the available QBs and either's ability or inability to run the zone read was irrelevant. At that point it was about who could move the offense....that had been adjusted to suit the available QBs.

Aug 16, 2012
Nope he believes whole heartedly in the opposite approach. The it’s just another game approach. Emotional guys like me agree with you...but golfers would agree with Gundy.
Hey, I am by no way agreeing or disagreeing. I just pointed out the correlation as to what we are seeing from Gundy. I get plenty of grief from others about my game approach and am told at least once a round I should play the safe shot.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
If Gundy is basing his decisions on practice, and the results continually "choose" the wrong QB......maybe our practices aren't setup very well? I get the whole "gamer" argument, and obviously no practice can replicate that. But I'm starting to wonder if somehow the actual structure of Gundy's practice and evaluation process just aren't super effective or are weighted towards attributes that don't matter as much for in-game performance.

Still just can't figure out how he keeps missing so badly on QBs. And yes, I think Illingworth has already shown that he's better than Sanders. In fact, Illingworth has already shown that he is better than Rudolph. Mark my words - Illingworth is an NFL QB if he stays healthy.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If Gundy is basing his decisions on practice, and the results continually "choose" the wrong QB......maybe our practices aren't setup very well? I get the whole "gamer" argument, but obviously no practice can replicate that. But I'm starting to wonder if somehow the actual structure of Gundy's practice and evaluation process just aren't super effective or are weighted towards attributes that don't matter as much.

Still just can't figure out how he keeps missing so badly on QBs. And yes, I think Illingworth has already shown that he's better than Sanders. In fact, Illingworth has already shown that he is better than Rudolph. Mark my words - Illingworth is an NFL QB if he stays healthy.
Maybe he's not playing because of the knee brace? Some injury healing up still? Maybe it's because Gundy, deep down, wants to play that stupid zone read crap that I personally hate? Maybe he is just bad at picking QB's or figures he's going to lose Sanders and won't lose SI, at least not this year since it's a freebee anyway. I'd just like to see us take full advantage of what we have this year and think SI is far better suited to do that than is Sanders who...as a running QB...wants to be more of the show than I want our QB to be. I want more of a distributor of the ball and I think SI is the guy for that offense. For those on the board that think SS is the better QB...would you think that if we were running the Weeden/Holgerson offense that we won all those games with?

@Birry - I agree completely with your statement. So much so that if I was Lincoln Riley I'd be telling my defense to be careful not to hurt SS.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Our offense was the zone-read. In fact, I believe ZRob got hurt later in the season on a QB keeper off the zone-read.

The QB depth chart is determined based on the offense you run, not a truncated version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk it
Dude.

Carefully follow what I am saying.

This is not about ZRob. Yes, ZRob-led offenses were zone read and yes, he got hurt on the last offensive play of the TTU game.

This is about CATE VS. WEEDEN one of which after ZRob went down was going to have to lead the offense the following week.

Neither were zone read QBs. Neither.

IN THE CU GAME....Neither QB ran the zone read offense.

It was the pistol. They handed the ball off to Toston or Hunter and got the hell out of the way.

The offense was the same in the first half as it was in the second half.

In the absence of ZRob, it was clear the offense was adjusted to suit the available QBs and either's ability or inability to run the zone read was irrelevant. At that point it was about who could move the offense....that had been adjusted to suit the available QBs.
Which is all a point about nothing. All HC’s follow their depth chart for who’s up next. Cate was QB2 in our offense which was zone-read.

That’s my final word on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
When you see a QB like Weeden in the second half of the CU game, there was no doubt he was the best we had at the time. If he only knew 3 plays that is all he needed to know because he executed without any hesitation. Playing QB isn't about knowing the whole playbook it's simply about executing a play. Illingworth in the 2 and 1/4 games he has played executed without hesitation. Sanders tries to win the ball game on every play, when the coaches get in his ear about ball security it is plain that he is so worried about turning the ball over that it effects his effectiveness. The athletic part of his game is not comparable, the desire is there without question, it the decision making that is in question and I'm not sure he is at the level he needs to be after 3 years in the system. He for sure knows the playbook but he has trouble executing it during the game.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
When you see a QB like Weeden in the second half of the CU game, there was no doubt he was the best we had at the time. If he only knew 3 plays that is all he needed to know because he executed without any hesitation. Playing QB isn't about knowing the whole playbook it's simply about executing a play. Illingworth in the 2 and 1/4 games he has played executed without hesitation. Sanders tries to win the ball game on every play, when the coaches get in his ear about ball security it is plain that he is so worried about turning the ball over that it effects his effectiveness. The athletic part of his game is not comparable, the desire is there without question, it the decision making that is in question and I'm not sure he is at the level he needs to be after 3 years in the system. He for sure knows the playbook but he has trouble executing it during the game.
I guess your team would only practice 3 plays. Great game day prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
If you execute 3 plays why do you need more for almost 5 years our offense wasn't much more than 3 plays, run in the middle, throw a wr screen, deep throw. It doesn't have to be super complicated to be effective.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Wouldn't mind seeing a replay of the 2001 game with pressure on the QB.
Nate Hybl with 3 INT's and -27 yds rushing (sacks). OU had 0 rushing yards for the game.

Interesting that Freshman Justin Fields came in for Aso Pogi after he threw 2 INT's in the first 3 series.

I think this was the Dean Blevins, OU will win by 42 or something like that. I was in OKC that weekend and there was a restaurant with a score prediction on it (Chargrill? - NW Highway).
Went to a bar with my parents to watch the game. We caught crap the whole game until the end. OU 20'something year old fan attacked an OSU fan and got whooped. I tipped the waitress extra and told her it was so she could buy a new shirt (out of character for me to rub it in someone's face, but after 3 hours of her smack talk, it felt justified)
Most iconic fade TD in NCAA history (at least in my mind).

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

You're still arguing about Cate vs. Weeden? Like for real? Zac Robinson vs. Bobby Reid??

Whaaaaaa? In 2020?

That was over a DECADE ago. There are some people in this thread that clearly prefer arguing and holding onto old grumpy feelings than embracing the facts
3) We have a chance to take the driver's seat in the Big 12 Conference for the first time in a decade.
4) Our defense is top 10 in the country, Obviously better when everyone is healthy.
5) A chance to beat a team we've had a horrible record against on the road on national television

I truly believe some of you would complain about Bella Hadid slipping into your DMs.

History repeats and it is now repeating.

We are using track records to argue. These are our data points.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK

Whaaaaaa? In 2020?

Couldnt agree more. Are we still going to be arguing about Cate, Weeden, ZRob, et al when they sign up for Social Security?