Don't be stupid tomorrow

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Last edited:

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Very quick because the law is unclear on a lot of stuff

I don't agree that the law is unclear. I believe the law is very clear.

Read the statute. If you or anyone else plans on carrying, I'd strongly suggest you read the statute. Whether you have an SDA license or not, reading the applicable law is always a good idea.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I don't agree that the law is unclear. I believe the law is very clear.

Read the statute. If you or anyone else plans on carrying, I'd strongly suggest you read the statute. Whether you have an SDA license or not, reading the applicable law is always a good idea.
That is what I mean. There will be assumptions without reading that there will be no restrictions. Especially the car areas. I didn’t know for sure myself

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
This, is the really scary part. I believe your sheriff is incorrect.

This is going to take some time for everyone to completely understand the law, including law enforcement.
That is concerning... and actually surprising. In my experience, most Okla County Sheriff's are much more pro 2A/constitutional carry for their citizens than say local PD peeps. :unsure: I would have expected he would have dug through the new law WAY BEFORE just 4 days of it going into effect. :blink:

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
That is what I mean. There will be assumptions without reading that there will be no restrictions. Especially the car areas. I didn’t know for sure myself

That doesn't make "the law" unclear. That makes people, including LE, ignorant of the law. The law itself is very well written, and very clear. OK2A did an excellent job with this.

edit - let me also add,; I agree with the stupid happening very quickly, but it won't be because the law itself is unclear. It will be because invariably, when you make something idiot proof, someone will invent a better idiot.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I believe you may have a situation where local law enforcement has taken it upon themselves to suppress the new law and the rights of the citizens of the county. The Sheriff's office is wrong, and the the statute isn't that difficult to understand.
They followed up with that this morning, saying that they are waiting on clarification from the DA...but after reading the statute, it seems pretty clear to me that they are wrong.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
They followed up with that this morning, saying that they are waiting on clarification from the DA...but after reading the statute, it seems pretty clear to me that they are wrong.

Let's hope they get their shit together quickly on that. It would be a shame for a law abiding citizen to be cited or hauled off to the basement of the courthouse because the Washington Co Sheriff can't read or understand the English language.

Again, I'd suggest that anyone that intends to carry without an SDA license to carefully read the law before venturing out into the public toting their favorite shootin iron.

It would also be nice if LE statewide would spend an hour carefully reading the law. Somehow, that seems like a really good idea.

Oct 7, 2012
I’m going to chime in, shooting from the hip, pun intended.

I have tried to read the law or statute several times, in search of THE answer in regards to this matter, knowing there was going to be a lot of conversation and misunderstandings about the actual law. It is my understanding that TRANSPORT of loaded firearms did NOT change with today’s new open carry law. That said, I watched the video above, and while I’m not familiar with this person or his OK2A organization, he seems VERY credible and says it’s ok to carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle without SDA permit starting today.

I also attended a meeting recently with the lead attorney from US Law Shield. Unless I heard him incorrectly, which entirely possible, he was fairly emphatic that TRANSPORT laws didn’t change.

IMO, those provisions are there to protect law enforcement during traffic stops. i.e., LE doesn’t have to assume every driver on a vehicle stop has access to a loaded weapon.

And with all due respect to everyone, I have a copy of the language of the OK Self Defense Act. IMO, it’s not easy to read and research for THE answer to questions such as this. I think that’s why there is ambiguity about all that today. I do agree that I would have thought that the Sheriff’s office would have spent some time ferreting out the answer to this question ahead of today.

UPDATE: I’ve spent an hour researching Oklahoma law regarding transportation of firearms. I can’t find anything current. That seems to be the rub. How do you find the language that went into affect today?

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
That doesn't make "the law" unclear. That makes people, including LE, ignorant of the law. The law itself is very well written, and very clear. OK2A did an excellent job with this.

edit - let me also add,; I agree with the stupid happening very quickly, but it won't be because the law itself is unclear. It will be because invariably, when you make something idiot proof, someone will invent a better idiot.
That I can agreed with. Is a better way to say it.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I’m going to chime in, shooting from the hip, pun intended.

I have tried to read the law or statute several times, in search of THE answer in regards to this matter, knowing there was going to be a lot of conversation and misunderstandings about the actual law. It is my understanding that TRANSPORT of loaded firearms did NOT change with today’s new open carry law. That said, I watched the video above, and while I’m not familiar with this person or his OK2A organization, he seems VERY credible and says it’s ok to carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle without SDA permit starting today.

I also attended a meeting recently with the lead attorney from US Law Shield. Unless I heard him incorrectly, which entirely possible, he was fairly emphatic that TRANSPORT laws didn’t change.

IMO, those provisions are there to protect law enforcement during traffic stops. i.e., LE doesn’t have to assume every driver on a vehicle stop has access to a loaded weapon.

And with all due respect to everyone, I have a copy of the language of the OK Self Defense Act. IMO, it’s not easy to read and research for THE answer to questions such as this. I think that’s why there is ambiguity about all that today. I do agree that I would have thought that the Sheriff’s office would have spent some time ferreting out the answer to this question ahead of today.

UPDATE: I’ve spent an hour researching Oklahoma law regarding transportation of firearms. I can’t find anything current. That seems to be the rub. How do you find the language that went into affect today?
In my understanding, it's this: https://www.orangepower.com/attachments/transportation-png.74576/

That covers it. And its pretty clear.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
With regard to the speed limits, the Legislature merely gave their permission for the limits to be raised. From what I can find, the limits have not been raised and there will have to be studies done before any changes will be made. F***.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
That really didn't take long. I believe this to be incredibly stupid on this guy's part:

Yukon restaurant owner changes gun policy after seeing pic of man with rifle at Twin Peaks

All these kinds of idiots are going to accomplish is getting more and more businesses to restrict carrying until the only place you can carry is in your home or out on the street... The line between exercising your right and being a dumbass is NOT a fine line...

Also, I'm no gun pro, but isn't than gun strapped a little tight to be able to even get it shouldered in a hurry if needed??

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That really didn't take long. I believe this to be incredibly stupid on this guy's part:

Yukon restaurant owner changes gun policy after seeing pic of man with rifle at Twin Peaks

All these kinds of idiots are going to accomplish is getting more and more businesses to restrict carrying until the only place you can carry is in your home or out on the street... The line between exercising your right and being a dumbass is NOT a fine line...

Also, I'm no gun pro, but isn't than gun strapped a little tight to be able to even get it shouldered in a hurry if needed??
If it's the same nut that was in an Edmond Park right before the change of the legislation then no it's not because it's a pistol grip so you literally can just grab the pistol grip pull over and aim and fire no need to shoulder it. It has a special stock on it that just clips to your arm as you're pulling it up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I do agree though, when these guys do the stupid second amendment audits in businesses and buildings, that all they are doing is encouraging more and more of them to post sign saying you can't carry. Because all they want to do is shock and awe. They do it for the fun of it. It's all exciting to them to get the cops called and get to feel like they're bigger and better and badder than the cops to be able to explain down to them that "you can't stop me".

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk