Domains and Hosting, please help

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 27, 2014
I hope this isn't super against the rules, mods please let me know if I can do this another way.

I set up this account because my normal OP account has been being seriously monitored at work, without my knowing. Sounds dumb, but they have my password and all my other info. My question cannot be viewed at my work for obvious reasons.

I am currently working on a startup. A website and emails are in the near future for my business plan. I have been doing quite a bit of research and I am fairly tech savy, but websites are completely foreign to me. I have been searching godaddy and found a domain name I like.

From what I understand, I need to purchase the domain now through godaddy (ex. www.OSUsports.com). After purchasing, I need to host it through them I believe for appx $5/month. I would like to have email similiar to my domain name (jdoe@OSUsports.com). I would like to be able to use my email through microsoft outlook. Do I need to buy anything from godaddy to set up multiple email addresses (jdoe@OSUsports.com, bob@OSUsports.com)? Or do I just buy microsoft outlook set up email addresses through that?

I'm sorry for the length, but I'm really trying to understand this. Any and all comments/help is welcome.

Thank you very much

Chris H.

administrator emeritus
A/V Subscriber
Jul 1, 2004
Tulsa, Okla.
chris.hasenpflug.net
From what I understand, I need to purchase the domain now through godaddy (ex. www.OSUsports.com).
Correct. The registration of a domain (actually just OSUSports.com in your example, no www...that's a subdomain) is done through a domain registrar. GoDaddy is but one example. Personally, I don't recommend them but they will do what you need. NameCheap.com and Gandi.net are registrars that have my vote of confidence.

I'm sure OSUsports.com is a hypothetical, but in case it's not, the domain is already registered so the process of securing it would be much different.

After purchasing, I need to host it through them I believe for appx $5/month. I would like to have email similiar to my domain name (jdoe@OSUsports.com). I would like to be able to use my email through microsoft outlook. Do I need to buy anything from godaddy to set up multiple email addresses (jdoe@OSUsports.com, bob@OSUsports.com)? Or do I just buy microsoft outlook set up email addresses through that?
Once you have a domain registered, you'll need to run a mail server or subscribe to a hosted mail service provider in order to receive email at your address(es). Some registrars, including GoDaddy, also provide email hosting options. However, I'm of the mindset that you should keep your registrar and any hosting business separate. If you're dead set on using Outlook, you may want to consider Microsoft's hosted offering called Office 365 for business, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx. Another option would be Google Apps for Business, http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html. Both allow multiple accounts to be setup.

Outlook is just an application used for interfacing with your chosen mail service. It does not inheriently allow you to send/recieve emails from/at your chosen domain. The Microsoft offering allows you to connect to Outlook (and you'll have the Outlook web interface) and I'm pretty sure you can connect Outlook to a Google account too (along with having the GMail web interface).

FWIW, Google (and I'm pretty sure Microsoft too) allows you to register a domain as part of the sign up for their Apps for business offering. If you like the idea of having your domain and mail service provider be the same, I'd strongly encourage doing that over GoDaddy as you'll get a better email offering out of it.

Feel free to contact me via email if you'd like to discuss more.

Jan 29, 2004
Owasso
If you're new to web sites, I would suggest a web builder service like http://www.squarespace.com/ , you can buy your domain from them and they host your site. I built a web site on it for a friend recently and was pretty impressed with what options you have. And even if you want to mess with the code you're able to (although it's not suggested)

Aug 27, 2014
Thank you all. This information is great. After work today I will be looking in to all options and information you gave.

Chris give me a couple days of research and I may be hitting you up.

Aug 27, 2014
Thank you everyone. All great information. Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I feel like i should use one of the better known providers because I'm such a rookie. Let me know if this shouldn't matter for any reason.

I'm (hopefully) going to make it to the Microsoft store tomorrow to talk about their 365 service. I'll report back and maybe have some info to share.

Thank you all again

OSUIvan

Wrangler
Jan 29, 2004
Owasso
Just a little advice on 365. I work in IT, and have been tasked with figuring out if we should go 365 or stand alone Office 2013 license.

It's my opinion that there are 2 reasons to go with 365 is if you want to stay with the latest and greatest at all times. Meaning, when Office 2016 comes out, you get the upgrade as part of your 365 subscription.
The other reason is if you have mutiple devices you want to use office on. If I remember right, your sub allows you to use it on 5 devices (PC's, Mac's, tablets, phones).

If you're wanting it for one device, and don't care if you use Office 2013 over Office 20xx, then I would buy a stand alone license.

Just my professional 2 cents on Office 356 =]