DOK Hype of new DL Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TouchdownCowboys

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2009
In Your Computer
Classic OU beat coverage fluff article for all those OU t-shirt fans. I hope some of that calm demeanor and ability to relate to players rubs off on Mikey.

http://newsok.com/new-ou-assistant-diron-reynolds-brings-a-weath-of-experience/article/5404613

Oklahoma’s defensive linemen were dealt a blow in early February, when popular position coach Jerry Montgomery abruptly left to take an NFL job.

STANFORD, CA - AUGUST 12, 2014 -Diron Reynolds of the Stanford Football team.
When OU announced Diron Reynolds as his replacement, the hire was met with some confusion. Sooners coach Bob Stoops was replacing one of his best recruiters with someone who hadn’t recruited off campus in 13 years, and had only four total years as a full-time position coach.

But Reynolds came highly recommended because of his years of NFL experience working with some of the top football minds in the professional game. He spent five seasons working on Tony Dungy’s Indianapolis Colts staff as a defensive quality control coach, helping the Colts to a Super Bowl victory in his last season there.

“He did a great job all the way around for us,” Dungy said in a telephone interview with The Oklahoman.

“He was very good with the technical side of things — with the computers and setting up our playbooks — but he was also very good in terms of working with the defensive linemen. He’s a very good technique coach.”

Reynolds played — and worked — for Jim Caldwell at Wake Forest, so when the Colts needed another defensive staffer, Caldwell recommended Reynolds.

Caldwell was Dungy’s assistant head coach and now coaches the Detroit Lions.

Before joining the Colts, Reynolds spent one season coaching Indiana defensive tackles. He coached Wake Forest outside linebackers under Caldwell the two seasons before that.

The Colts’ first draft pick after Dungy and his staff arrived was defensive end Dwight Freeney, taken with the No. 11 overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Although Reynolds wasn’t Freeney’s position coach, Dungy credited him with helping develop Freeney into the seven-time Pro Bowler he became.

“We all kinda prided ourselves on being good teachers,” Dungy said. “We didn’t do a lot in trying to fool people or coming up with schemes. We lined up in a couple of fronts and utilized techniques and fundamentals, and that’s what we taught.

“Diron has had different kinds of guys. We’ve had big people but also smaller, undersized guys that are very fast. He can help those guys no matter what their body type was like. That, to me, is the sign of a good coach.”

Reynolds left the Colts in 2007 and spent one season as the Miami Dolphins’ defensive line coach, and later served as an assistant defensive line coach for five years with the Minnesota Vikings.

He spent the 2014 season as a “defensive assistant” at Stanford, a position that isn’t allowed any off-campus recruiting responsibilities.

Montgomery, of course, was becoming the Sooners’ ace recruiter. In the 2015 recruiting class alone, he signed four defensive linemen, including four-star tackles Neville Gallimore and Marquise Overton.

He was also the primary recruiter for four-star linebacker Ricky DeBerry, who was seen as one of the most important signees in the 2015 class.

Dungy, though, isn’t worried about Reynolds’ lack of recruiting experience of late.

“I think he’ll be fine,” Dungy said. “We did have to recruit some, when you consider free agency and trying ot sell people on coming to your place. He does relate to the players really well. He’s got a nice, calming personality.”

Through three spring practices, Reynolds is getting good reviews.

“He knows the game,” said sophomore defensive tackle Charles Walker. “When we mess up certain things, he understands the little things we're supposed to do.

“It's like Coach Mont never left.”

Sooners defensive coordinator Mike Stoops called Reynolds “a tremendous person” and praised Reynolds’ overall knowledge of the game.

“Your pedigree makes you who the you are as a coach and he’s got a great pedigree,” Stoops said. “The guys he’s been around have all been first class.”

TouchdownCowboys

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2009
In Your Computer
TD hates the article so much he thought posting it was worthy of his time. Noted.
If I hated it I wouldn't have read it. Reading OU fluff pieces is just like watching infomercials for me. I enjoy how they go about scripting the message to sell the product. This piece followed the writer's article about Tapper missing Wright and Montgomery. This is the salve to heal those fragile sooner fans anxious after a disappointing season and another round of staff changes. It will be fun to detail how the new staff will be exalted.

It was a good quality hire.

What's the deal?
The deal isn't about the hire silly. I hope we can all agree that more than three practices will be needed to determine if this was a good hire and some actual games to prove “It's like Coach Mont never left.” This article is all about a nervous insecure portion of the OU fan base that is soothed by these fluff pieces.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
If I hated it I wouldn't have read it. Reading OU fluff pieces is just like watching infomercials for me. I enjoy how they go about scripting the message to sell the product. This piece followed the writer's article about Tapper missing Wright and Montgomery. This is the salve to heal those fragile sooner fans anxious after a disappointing season and another round of staff changes. It will be fun to detail how the new staff will be exalted.
I'm so delighted for you that you enjoy reading material written about OU. The newspaper is too, it's important to keep them in business considering their donor status for OU.

TouchdownCowboys

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2009
In Your Computer
I'm so delighted for you that you enjoy reading material written about OU. The newspaper is too, it's important to keep them in business considering their donor status for OU.
If I was above reading about OU it wouldn't make sense posting here for me. That had more to do with the Gaylords than the people who own the paper now. I do think being informed makes for better conversation. I find the mythical treatment of OU football interesting and the fans enlightening in both good and bad ways.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
The deal isn't about the hire silly. I hope we can all agree that more than three practices will be needed to determine if this was a good hire and some actual games to prove “It's like Coach Mont never left.” This article is all about a nervous insecure portion of the OU fan base that is soothed by these fluff pieces.
The Coach Mont quote was from a player. They would know better than a reporter writing a fluff piece. The coaches work with them behind the scenes way more than what anyone on the outside sees. If there was anyone who would know, it would be a player.

You're really trying hard to make mountains out of molehills here.

TouchdownCowboys

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2009
In Your Computer
The Coach Mont quote was from a player. They would know better than a reporter writing a fluff piece. The coaches work with them behind the scenes way more than what anyone on the outside sees. If there was anyone who would know, it would be a player.

You're really trying hard to make mountains out of molehills here.
Having had many coaches hired away from oSu my opinion is players always comment favorably about the new coach. It's players speak.

soonerchris1985

Territorial Marshal
Jun 14, 2010
Why would I be butthurt that OU has a bunch of t shirt fans with unrealistic expectations? As an oSu fan I find it amusing and a good topic for Bedlam and Flame.
Every fan base has unrealistic expectations. Take a look at your main board and the prediction thread. They all happen.

You guys are coming off a 7 win season and have guys predicting at least a 10-12 win season with a shot at a new years 6, this is a large number of the posters not a select few either. It's no different than the OU fans who were predicting playoffs after a big BCS win and a favorable schedule.

So really it's just as amusing to us to see things like that. It's turned into the OSU of old. Just wait until next year.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Every fan base has unrealistic expectations. Take a look at your main board and the prediction thread. They all happen.

You guys are coming off a 7 win season and have guys predicting at least a 10-12 win season with a shot at a new years 6, this is a large number of the posters not a select few either. It's no different than the OU fans who were predicting playoffs after a big BCS win and a favorable schedule.

So really it's just as amusing to us to see things like that. It's turned into the OSU of old. Just wait until next year.
Well said, but I think the difference between the situations is the quarterback. It was the bane of both OU and OSU's seasons last year, and probably cost both teams 2-3 wins. I'm a lot more confident with Rudolph going into this year than I would have been last year with Knight, and certainly this year with either Knight or Mayfield. Still, I'll be conservative and say 8-9 wins for us. Besides, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely dissappointed.

I know better than to bet the farm on the perpetual "next year," and that's because I've been an OSU fan for longer back than 2011-2012. Either way, I'll be at every game, anthem to alma mater, because that's what real loyalty is.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

It's different when you have a freshman qb go into Norman and win. I don't think you see that very often if ever.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
The way our qb played to finish the season and the youth of our team from last season makes it tough to not expect improvement. Our offensive line went from one of the worst in the big 12 to a decent line. The oline will only get bigger and more experienced especially with us having to play a bunch of inexperienced guys who should have redshirted but wickline leaving left us in shambles. The defense played good a lot of times considering the bad positions our offense put them in. I just can't see how we don't improve and winning 7 games was not bad considering how bad we were about mid season.

soonerchris1985

Territorial Marshal
Jun 14, 2010
Well said, but I think the difference between the situations is the quarterback. It was the bane of both OU and OSU's seasons last year, and probably cost both teams 2-3 wins. I'm a lot more confident with Rudolph going into this year than I would have been last year with Knight, and certainly this year with either Knight or Mayfield. Still, I'll be conservative and say 8-9 wins for us. Besides, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely dissappointed.

I know better than to bet the farm on the perpetual "next year," and that's because I've been an OSU fan for longer back than 2011-2012. Either way, I'll be at every game, anthem to alma mater, because that's what real loyalty is.
That's the exact reason they are the same. OU was riding high on the performance of a qb. Knight made what was said to be one of the best Ds in the nation look bad. This made OU fans, myself included think highly of what the team could do the next year.

I also wouldn't include you in the unrealistic expectations department based on what you are saying you think the record will be.