DMN -- No one is picking OSU to win versus Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
That all assumes we have it in the budget to spend all that money on advertising outside the state. Do we have it? I honestly have no idea.
I would say it's a better use of dollars to advertise in DFW than it is to advertise in Oklahoma... especially considering that the DFW area is now over twice the size, population wise, as the state of Oklahoma.

Also, when it comes to athletics, Oklahoma media is never going to give equal or fair play to OSU when compared to OU. When Gundy goes on the radio, they make fun of him. It's not worth his time or our time to continue to spin or wheels in OKC and Tulsa. It's time to skip that and go straight to DFW and possibly even Houston to try to get Gundy some play time with those outlets in those markets.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I would say it's a better use of dollars to advertise in DFW than it is to advertise in Oklahoma... especially considering that the DFW area is now over twice the size, population wise, as the state of Oklahoma.

Also, when it comes to athletics, Oklahoma media is never going to give equal or fair play to OSU when compared to OU. When Gundy goes on the radio, they make fun of him. It's not worth his time or our time to continue to spin or wheels in OKC and Tulsa. It's time to skip that and go straight to DFW and possibly even Houston to try to get Gundy some play time with those outlets in those markets.
All this is true, and the market is tough in DFW for Universities and College sports in general. We have to compete with Texas, A&M, Baylor, Tech, TCU, SMU, not to even mention the mainstays of the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and Rangers...all those schools/pro sports being considered in-state Texas "cool" while we are considered North of the boarder non-Texas lessor than or wanna bees. I lived in DFW for 11 years right out of college at OSU and it drove me crazy as well. I'm all for a change in respect in that market, but it's been a slow go for over 40 years...certainly its better than it was in the 80's and 90's when I was in town and we had to share the stage with the old SWC but still it has a long ways to go. I'd say the best way for us to get respect it to continue beating them and eventually we "might" get it...However, Arkie did just that in the SWC for a LONG time and never really achieved it...so who knows.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010

I've seen nice OSU billboards in Houston HObby, think we're already doing it.

Aug 16, 2012
well we should care. There's 7 million people in DFW and it's a massive market within OSU's addressable market. It's also our most recruited area. Exposure in Dallas is crucial for our athletics programs... and our university as a whole.
I agree, but you live here, college sports is a distant 389th in the pecking order of sports coverage. Radio never talks about it and the DMN thinks they do but are absolutely pathetic. This market's horrible coverage is what led me to finding this board. DFW sports media is an old boy's club of talking heads who only know the four pro teams. I was listening to one of the preeminent talk shows about five years ago on signing day hoping to get updates. Finally, at the top of the last hour, they had a 5 minute discussion, half of which was one of the hosts ranting about his hatred of college sports and how they were wasting valuable air time before he walks out of the booth.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
As for the D4MN paper. OSU used to be a part of their local college sports during basketball and football season.

Around the late 90’s early 2000’s, the new head of the sports department became a guy from OU. OSU disappeared from the “local” section and I cancelled. I got several calls from them about how long I had been taking the D4MN paper and they wanted me back. I told every caller why I cancelled.

Feb 15, 2007
As for the D4MN paper. OSU used to be a part of their local college sports during basketball and football season.

Around the late 90’s early 2000’s, the new head of the sports department became a guy from OU. OSU disappeared from the “local” section and I cancelled. I got several calls from them about how long I had been taking the D4MN paper and they wanted me back. I told every caller why I cancelled.
Yep, pretty much the way I remember it.

Feb 25, 2008
95% of the "orangepower" Yahoo pickem players picked Texas to win. If 95% of 42 OSU fans are picking Texas to win, why wouldn't we expect those picking in a TEXAS newspaper pick Texas to win?

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
95% of the "orangepower" Yahoo pickem players picked Texas to win. If 95% of 42 OSU fans are picking Texas to win, why wouldn't we expect those picking in a TEXAS newspaper pick Texas to win?
Exactly, the Oregon State game was the best win for the conference the first week, but even then I can see why some would say the LSU loss may have been better. The best win now was replaced with the K-State win over Miss State in Starksville. But that was still not a bad loss for UT against LSU. The condition to gauge upcoming games can be fluid week-to-week, so of course it makes sense to pick UT as the favorite.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Aside from who I think will win, I'm surprised that spread hasn't climbed. I would have expected people to be loading up on Tejas.