Dish or DirectTV?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I know a thread just like this pops up fairly often so I apologize in advance, bu I need help. I am getting ready to move to a rural area that does not have cable (I am going to miss my Cox) and will have to choose between Dish Network or DirectTV. I need HD channels and am not really interested in the NFL game package on DirectTV.

I have had DishNetwork before and enjoyed it but ended up leaving them because they were wanting to charge me to expand my HD channels.

Also, I am looking for internet options. No AT&T DSL available there (althgough AT&T is the phone provider). I really don't want to use satellite internet as I am concerned about it's consistency.

Finally, anyone have any suggestions for me to try to convince Cox to go to the area I will be living. I believe the closest Cox cable is about 1-2 miles away. Also, there is a residential neighborhood right across the street from where I am moving that probably has 50-75 houses. I have called Cox about it and they told me they would give the information to their "engineering" department to consider, but I never heard back. I would like to keep Cox, but at this point I cannot because they are not in the area.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

Mods I just realized I posted this on the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the general discussions forum.

3rpete

Wrangler
Mar 29, 2009
I use to work for Dish. I have never had the chance to have either Dish or Direct in my own house yet, but when I do I will get Dish. The technology that Dish uses is better that Directs.

Dish does offer a form of internet as well, it is over a second satellite dish, but it is at dial up speeds, very slow and expensive.

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
Directv uses Hughes net for internet and is slow and expensive as well.

My sister and I get osu games on directv that our other sister can't on dish on a regular basis.

Have you looked into getting a 3g air card for internet service?

I have had both and in my opinion Dish is way better. I had dish a few years ago then switched to Directv for special promotions then about 2 months into my contract I was ready to get out of it and switch back to Dish. I now have dish again and I love it.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I have Dish and have always been happy with it. I have not made the switch to HD yet but plan on doing so pretty soon. The monthly rate seems to be cheaper with Dish than Direct for what you are getting but I am unsure on equipment.

My experience with Cox in the past is they do not like to expand and add new areas. The are refocusing most of their attention on large urban areas from what I can tell.

Aug 31, 2006
63 mi S. of Stillwater
I live in a "rural" area that cox doesn't serve as well. We have Dish and I can see almost every game that I don't attend. I didn't have HD service but I know you can get Versus in HD on Dish and that would cover the games that were missing.

I have the air card for internet service from AT&T. It works faster than dial-up and is a whole lot cheaper than sat. internet service. I have been thinking about switching to the cricket air card. It's $20/month cheaper than AT&T's and has no contract. You do have to buy the card for the Cricket but you have to buy the AT&T card as well.

Jul 3, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have DirecTV and have had it for about 6 months now. I like it pretty well. Lots of channels and I've gotten to see pretty much every OSU basketball conference game. Also got the HD and DVR package. We mainly went with them because we got a discout for being Sam's Club members. Haha.

Feb 14, 2007
Mid-town Tulsa
I've had both. Currently have Directv, and I like it. The problem for us with Dish was weather. It would cut out a couple times a month for random reasons, not to mention heavy rain. Seemed like everytime it rained it would go out for long lenghts of time.

I've had Directv for more than one year, and it has never gone out. Had Dish about two years ago. Hopefully they stepped up their service. Also, I live in mid town Tulsa, if that makes a difference.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Go with the aircard for internet. I have Hughes.net satellite for my office. I just got a new computer and had to update the Windows 7. On satellite I downloaded 356 mb of a 362 mb update and timed out at 6 hours. I was very upset that that much time was wasted. I brought my Sprint aircard in and downloaded the update in 45 minutes.

I tried the At&T aircard about a year ago and didn't have enough signal. Verizon was better, but Sprint was the best. You will just have to check the coverage maps for each to decide on which provider to use.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
It's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other withthe two providers. Pick the one that gives you the best deal on the programming you want.

I agree onthe aircard. Satelite inet is $$$$ and slow.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Directv uses Hughes net for internet and is slow and expensive as well.

My sister and I get osu games on directv that our other sister can't on dish on a regular basis.

Have you looked into getting a 3g air card for internet service?
I have not thought about a 3g air card, can you explain what that is? What is the speed like for that?

Thanks.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I've had both. Currently have Directv, and I like it. The problem for us with Dish was weather. It would cut out a couple times a month for random reasons, not to mention heavy rain. Seemed like everytime it rained it would go out for long lenghts of time.

I've had Directv for more than one year, and it has never gone out. Had Dish about two years ago. Hopefully they stepped up their service. Also, I live in mid town Tulsa, if that makes a difference.
Yep, when I had dish before the weather, especially heavy rain knocked out the signal. The first year or so it did not do that, but as time went on it happend more frequently. I assumed it was the satellite dish aging. Just a guess on my part though.

I know we used to have people who work for Cox on this board, does anyone have any suggested for trying to get Cox out to my area?

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC
I have DirectTV, works fine for me. Its does go out in heavy storms, does pretty good in just rain though. I dont have the HD channels but I do think there is a charge to get them all; but from what I understand they have a TON of HD channels.

A 3G air card (cellular) is probably better than satellite for internet. Its not exactly as fast as Cable or DSL but it is pretty quick. You can surf the net comfortably and watch most video content without frustration.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
www.hirecoachgundyscoaches.com
I have not thought about a 3g air card, can you explain what that is? What is the speed like for that?

Thanks.
You can get an aircard through Spring, ATT, or Verizon. You just plug it into your computer's USB slot, and you will go off the carriers signal for internet. Obviously you have to pay for the service separately then just basic cell phone service. I want to say it is in the range of 40 dollars a month?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
You can get an aircard through Spring, ATT, or Verizon. You just plug it into your computer's USB slot, and you will go off the carriers signal for internet. Obviously you have to pay for the service separately then just basic cell phone service. I want to say it is in the range of 40 dollars a month?
Mine is $60/month. That gives me 5 GB of download per month.. The cheaper plans are not nearly as generous with the download capacity. I don't know anything about the Cricket aircard though.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
We have dish. We like it. The internet does suck. Our dish used to go out a lot when it rained as well. We had some guy come out and "adjust" the dish and it rarely cuts out now

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I just swithched to DirectTV as part of an AT&T bundle....

Both have their ups and downs....

I am paying less for more DirectTV
Dish has a much much better DVR
Dish is easier to use without a land line attached for PPV events IMO
DirectTV has better customer service

3rpete

Wrangler
Mar 29, 2009
If you are having trouble when the wind blows or when it rains, that is an instillation problem, and you should call in and have it fixed.