Did Rudolph make Yurcich look better then he really is?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Not new information, but his inability to play to another QBs strengths is the most jarring issue I've seen. Corndog missed a few open receivers against KSU, but I can't for the life of me understand why we don't do more intermediate passes and relief passes to the RBs. TC is a lock for those passes, which is something Rudolph consistently struggled with. Also another big issue is the QB draw and how successful that continues to be, yet we maybe run it twice a game. That's not enough for a defense to consistently account for.

Bottom line is, we are predictable on offense, regardless of who our players are.

Change the plan to best suit your personnel and give them a chance to succeed.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
If the "chunk-it-deep" method was also used last season, than yes, most definitely, given Mason is eons ahead of Cornelius in terms of throwing accurate deep balls.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The combination of MR, JW, and MA made this offense look good, however we still generated a lot of 3 and outs and also it was exactly the same as the offense we run now. I would say without question that the answer is YES. And the saddest part is that we are stuck with him because he's not getting a better job than he has currently and he knows it.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The combination of MR, JW, and MA made this offense look good, however we still generated a lot of 3 and outs and also it was exactly the same as the offense we run now. I would say without question that the answer is YES. And the saddest part is that we are stuck with him because he's not getting a better job than he has currently and he knows it.
Yep. Take a look at our offense since MY arrived. Nothing has changed whether we have Daxx, Rudolph, or Cornelius chunking it deep. And I will actually argue that the main reason that MR had success was because of Washington and Ateman.

As bad as our defense is, we actually need an offense that can sustain drives and eat up clock rather than one that has 60 second drives (either TD or 3 and out). I'm not saying we need to just run the ball up the middle or throw WR screens. There exists in the world of football these things called short and intermediate routes in the middle of the field. But none of our offensive staff seems to know about them.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Yep. Take a look at our offense since MY arrived. Nothing has changed whether we have Daxx, Rudolph, or Cornelius chunking it deep. And I will actually argue that the main reason that MR had success was because of Washington and Ateman.

As bad as our defense is, we actually need an offense that can sustain drives and eat up clock rather than one that has 60 second drives (either TD or 3 and out). I'm not saying we need to just run the ball up the middle or throw WR screens. There exists in the world of football these things called short and intermediate routes in the middle of the field. But none of our offensive staff seems to know about them.
Yeah, I'm actually shocked at our non-usage of more "slant" plays.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water

Well said. OSU has no identity on offense. Lives and dies by the long ball. Yurcich and Cornelius are a terrible match. Add a weak O-line and you get what you saw in Manhattan.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Well said. OSU has no identity on offense. Lives and dies by the long ball. Yurcich and Cornelius are a terrible match. Add a weak O-line and you get what you saw in Manhattan.
And what we saw in 2014.....because that's literally our entire offense. And it was only good when we had M2W.

Jul 28, 2006
No not at all. If you were paying attention, the games played out pretty much the same way. We’d have to come from behind nearly every game. Basically we only came back once we got so far behind it was obvious we had to start throwing on every down. Yurcich has always looked bad it just some people couldn’t recognize it. He’s terrible.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
No not at all. If you were paying attention, the games played out pretty much the same way. We’d have to come from behind nearly every game. Basically we only came back once we got so far behind it was obvious we had to start throwing on every down. Yurcich has always looked bad it just some people couldn’t recognize it. He’s terrible.
Those are the same ones that use his stats as a defense of the terrible job he does calling plays.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2011
Kinda starting to think yes....

The play calling this year has been bad. WAY too many chunk-it-deep-and-hope-for-the-best-plays. Not using Hill enough. The list is long...
That is to say, does a coach need competent players at key positions to be successful? Of course the answer is yes, not only in Yurcich's case, but every coaches case. What's the point of this?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
That is to say, does a coach need competent players at key positions to be successful? Of course the answer is yes, not only in Yurcich's case, but every coaches case. What's the point of this?
So you're blaming the players? Tell me......who's job is it to recruit the players? Also, who's job is it to put them in a position to succeed?