Defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Unless I’m mistaken this is 1973, Bum Phillips only year at OSU as Jim Stanley’s DC. JJ didn’t come to OSU until 1978 as the HC, unless he was a position coach there prior to. My dad was a student athletic trainer from 74-78 and thinks the guy on left is either Doug Cathey or Coach Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was not JJ.

JJ was the DC along with Pat Jones , Dave Weinstatt, and OL coach Tony Wise were at Pittsburgh then under Jackie Sherill .

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
Unless I’m mistaken this is 1973, Bum Phillips only year at OSU as Jim Stanley’s DC. JJ didn’t come to OSU until 1978 as the HC, unless he was a position coach there prior to. My dad was a student athletic trainer from 74-78 and thinks the guy on left is either Doug Cathey or Coach Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be - did not see a date reference on the pic. I believe Stanley was HC in 1973. Not sure when JJ arrived, does seem like it was later than 73 - but that guy sure looks like him and at least has the JJ hairdo . I am sure about Stanley and Bum. I was a freshman in 1973.

Last edited:

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
If I’m not mistaken that’s a pretty fair LB standing there talking to the coach. I believe Cleveland Vann wore #60.

Bum pacing the sidelines in a cowboy boots and hat would have been epic in Stillwater.

Nov 8, 2013
Bum was DC for Jim Stanley. Here's a pic below. Jim Stanley on right and Bum in the middle. Is that a young JJ on the left? At the time Bum said he would have stayed at OSU until he retired if he had got the HC job - loved it at OSU. He didn't get the HC gig so he ended up on the Houston Oilers staff, then HC and the rest is history. Luv Ya Blue days, "this year we knocked on the door (championship) and next year we are going to kick the SOB in...". "There's two kinds of coaches: them that's been fired and them that's going to be fired." So many bummerisms, he always had a great quote for the Houston media.

He was a fantastic recruiter in Texas with lots of contacts at HS's across the state.

Nothing says "1970's" like white belts. Had they not been on the football field they would have probably matched them with white patent leather dress shoes. It was the bomb in the early 70's.
View attachment 76244
I had no idea Bum Phillip's was on our coaching staff. Cool piece of knowledge from Orange Power today!