Defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2007
Woodland Park, Colorado
As improved as our defense was this year will we ever have a defense that plays with confidence and swagger. I know we've had brief moments of success this year and in years past but having a consistent defense just seems like it's never going to happen. I'm a very old dude but back in the 80's we had some guys that would bring the wood. Mark Moore comes to mind. It also concerns me we are losing our receivers coach and that our offense may be slipping just a tad. With that being the case we really need to get parity between the offense and defense. Is this possible at OSU to have a decent offense and defense? Seems to always be one way or the other. Just some random thoughts on this Sunday. Gonna be a long time till football again so I thought I'd drop a topic.

Dec 21, 2008
Defense ALWAYS depends on defensive line pressure. You can get away with above average LB and DB play sometimes if you have an elite DL. Problem is there is not much elite DL in our region for recruiting and when there are they go to blue bloods. If you can’t get pressure then you will get picked apart, whether you drop 4 or 8 into coverage. When we rush three we don’t get any pressure, ever. Watch Clemson and elite SEC teams their DLs generate a ton of quick pressure. This is the biggest difference in teams that may have a chance to compete for a conference championship and teams that always will

Nov 6, 2010
The Dline is my biggest point of optimism. Think about how many young players we had making significant contributions on the Dline this year, before they were really "ready".

Antwine - True Soph
Sam. T - Redshirt Frosh
Jernigan - True Frosh
T. Ford - True Frosh
T. Lacy - Redshirt Frosh

The fact we showed defensive improvement given the above is absolutely incredible. These kids will just now be ready to play in the trenches next year, and they already have a year of experience under their belts. What happens if Bundage returns and is himself next year?

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
The Dline is my biggest point of optimism. Think about how many young players we had making significant contributions on the Dline this year, before they were really "ready".

Antwine - True Soph
Sam. T - Redshirt Frosh
Jernigan - True Frosh
T. Ford - True Frosh
T. Lacy - Redshirt Frosh

The fact we showed defensive improvement given the above is absolutely incredible. These kids will just now be ready to play in the trenches next year, and they already have a year of experience under their belts. What happens if Bundage returns and is himself next year?
I totally forgot about Bundage. If he is healthy and Clay is eligible immediately, that would be huge. I wouldn’t mind a grad transfer LB as well.

Nov 14, 2010
Asking an honest question....
What was our defense ranked this year in terms of total defenae and how many Big 12 schools were ahead of us in total defense?

Jan 14, 2006
The improvement in our defense the second half of the season was promising. This was the 3rd d our guys have learned in 3 years. Once they started getting comfortable and we figured out our pressure groove it really started trending in the right direction.

If we find a corner to replace AJ we should be really good next year. At least for an OSU d.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
As improved as our defense was this year will we ever have a defense that plays with confidence and swagger. I know we've had brief moments of success this year and in years past but having a consistent defense just seems like it's never going to happen. I'm a very old dude but back in the 80's we had some guys that would bring the wood. Mark Moore comes to mind. It also concerns me we are losing our receivers coach and that our offense may be slipping just a tad. With that being the case we really need to get parity between the offense and defense. Is this possible at OSU to have a decent offense and defense? Seems to always be one way or the other. Just some random thoughts on this Sunday. Gonna be a long time till football again so I thought I'd drop a topic.
We did when Bum Phillips was DC. Problem was we didn't have much offense back then. Too bad they did not make him HC, he wanted the job.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City

Antwine - True Soph
Sam. T - Redshirt Frosh
Jernigan - True Frosh
T. Ford - True Frosh
T. Lacy - Redshirt Frosh

I’d add Israel Isuman Hundley to this as well. Played special teams but he was 6’5” 230 coming out of HS. Ready to see what he can do with a year of Glass.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
The D have to really show up when the O only capable of putting 20 pts on the board.

or is it....???

The Opponents O did not really force much issue when actually they are really leading heading into the 3rd Quarter?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We did when Bum Phillips was DC. Problem was we didn't have much offense back then. Too bad they did not make him HC, he wanted the job.
I guess it was between him and Jimmy Johnson? Jimmy got the job...not sure if he was also going to get us on probation, but maybe he would not have and maybe you are right? I was just a little kid at the time so I had no clue.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The D have to really show up when the O only capable of putting 20 pts on the board.

or is it....???

The Opponents O did not really force much issue when actually they are really leading heading into the 3rd Quarter?
While I like to think the defense was improving as the season went on, and the stats back that up...I also understand your point. We fell off on offense after Wallace and then Sanders got hurt and our defense had to keep us in games because the offense was failing to score over 20 pts per game. Not sure if the opposition just shut it down to run clock in those situation's or if the defense really brought the wood. Bottom line, however, there are reasons for optimism on defense will all the returning starters and young players. We almost certainly should be improved on that side of the ball for the entire year. IF the Offensive playmakers come back we have a real shot at the Conference...otherwise we might be a year or two away still.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
I guess it was between him and Jimmy Johnson? Jimmy got the job...not sure if he was also going to get us on probation, but maybe he would not have and maybe you are right? I was just a little kid at the time so I had no clue.
Bum was DC for Jim Stanley. Here's a pic below. Jim Stanley on right and Bum in the middle. Is that a young JJ on the left? At the time Bum said he would have stayed at OSU until he retired if he had got the HC job - loved it at OSU. He didn't get the HC gig so he ended up on the Houston Oilers staff, then HC and the rest is history. Luv Ya Blue days, "this year we knocked on the door (championship) and next year we are going to kick the SOB in...". "There's two kinds of coaches: them that's been fired and them that's going to be fired." So many bummerisms, he always had a great quote for the Houston media.

He was a fantastic recruiter in Texas with lots of contacts at HS's across the state.

Nothing says "1970's" like white belts. Had they not been on the football field they would have probably matched them with white patent leather dress shoes. It was the bomb in the early 70's.
1577824069963.png

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Bum was DC for Jim Stanley. Here's a pic below. Jim Stanley on right and Bum in the middle. Is that a young JJ on the left? At the time Bum said he would have stayed at OSU until he retired if he had got the HC job - loved it at OSU. He didn't get the HC gig so he ended up on the Houston Oilers staff, then HC and the rest is history. Luv Ya Blue days, "this year we knocked on the door (championship) and next year we are going to kick the SOB in...". "There's two kinds of coaches: them that's been fired and them that's going to be fired." So many bummerisms, he always had a great quote for the Houston media.

He was a fantastic recruiter in Texas with lots of contacts at HS's across the state.

Nothing says "1970's" like white belts. Had they not been on the football field they would have probably matched them with white patent leather dress shoes. It was the bomb in the early 70's.
View attachment 76244
This cracks me up for some reason...maybe it's the belt and hat combos...those hats are pretty awful. JJ did look a bit more youthful compared to Bum who looks like the mean coach from Waterboy...which is ironic since JJ was in Waterboy.

Feb 2, 2010
Springfield, MA

View attachment 76244
Unless I’m mistaken this is 1973, Bum Phillips only year at OSU as Jim Stanley’s DC. JJ didn’t come to OSU until 1978 as the HC, unless he was a position coach there prior to. My dad was a student athletic trainer from 74-78 and thinks the guy on left is either Doug Cathey or Coach Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater

View attachment 76244
Unless I’m mistaken this is 1973, Bum Phillips only year at OSU as Jim Stanley’s DC. JJ didn’t come to OSU until 1978 as the HC, unless he was a position coach there prior to. My dad was a student athletic trainer from 74-78 and thinks the guy on left is either Doug Cathey or Coach Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paging @casdas