Daniel Cormier - UFC champ x2

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From the Associated Press...

LAS VEGAS — Daniel Cormier knocked out the UFC heavyweight champion, argued with a professional wrestler and left the octagon dancing with glee and perfect balance, thanks to one championship belt on each arm.

There will never be another Saturday night like it for the 39-year-old former Oklahoma State wrestler who stands on the pinnacle of the UFC.

Make that two pinnacles.

Cormier added the heavyweight championship to his light heavyweight title when he stopped Stipe Miocic in dramatic fashion during the first round of their superfight at UFC 226.
Link

I checked our archives --- here's a Tulsa World file photo from 2001 Big 12 tournament semifinals (184-pound class):

dc.png

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Lesnar shouldn't even be in consideration for a title shot but the HW division is mainly trash right now. Stipe is pretty much all by himself and DC just demolished him. Lesnar can't even fight for at least 6 month during his required USADA testing pool period. Not to take anything from DC because Stipe is legit but the division in general is trash.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
Lesnar shouldn't even be in consideration for a title shot but the HW division is mainly trash right now. Stipe is pretty much all by himself and DC just demolished him. Lesnar can't even fight for at least 6 month during his required USADA testing pool period. Not to take anything from DC because Stipe is legit but the division in general is trash.

In recent years the UFC switched the way they book fights from Champion vs Number 1 Contender to money fights. It's crazy that a guy like Brock last fought in 2016 and it ended up being a No Contest because he failed his drug test gets to jump the rest of the Heavyweight divison for a title shot. At the same time though DC vs Lesnar will probably do a huge number of PPV buys, so I get why the UFC does it.

I just feel bad for the other fighters though. Curtis Blaydes has been on a good streak in the Heavyweight division and was probably next in line for a title shot, but has to wait now because of a money fight.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
There's only one fight to make for DC and that's John Jones. Jones commented today that this was the best thing that could have happened and that now he can kick his (DC's) a$$ as light heavyweight champion or heavyweight champion. Lesnar's a joke. The money fight is Jones. imo

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
Lesnar is a 40yo huckster with a 5 win, 3 loss, MMA record. Only his big mouth qualifies him for a title shot. Plus, he didn't get that big eating his Wheaties. Jones is a juicer and a pos as a person but he is undefeated in MMA with 2 wins (1ko declared no contest officially) over DC. I wouldn't pay a dime to watch what would be little more than another WWE wrestlemania show with a blowhard pretender competing against a legit champ. DC has unfinished business with Jones. Once again, imo.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
6 months = UFC’s big end of the year PPV.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
is that a Darce choke? Can you make a guy tap in the NCAA?
Arm triangle (if he put his head on the other side of the arm), and no...choke submissions aren’t allowed in NCAA.

Darce is similar, but typically comes over the top of head/back of the neck rather than the front.

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
6 months = UFC’s big end of the year PPV.
Well actually he won't be able to fight until mid January since he joined the testing pool in mid July. I bet it will probably be on the Super Bowl weekend card which is usually one of their bigger ones as well. If I had to guess. He will also I think fight Shogun Rua at LHW later this year.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Well actually he won't be able to fight until mid January since he joined the testing pool in mid July. I bet it will probably be on the Super Bowl weekend card which is usually one of their bigger ones as well. If I had to guess. He will also I think fight Shogun Rua at LHW later this year.
I wasn’t clear. The Super Bowl weekend card is what I was referring to. i consider that show the end of the UFC “year” of fights. Probably should have been more explicit.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
DC talked about fighting Shogun for his Light Heavyweight Championship, but Shogun got starched yesterday afternoon by an up and coming fighter, so that is probably off the table.

Obviously things change, but DC has been pretty adamant about retiring when he turns 40 (will be 40 March 20th). Based on yesterdays fights, I think his next and last fight will be against Lesnar if he is serious about retiring at 40.