Custom tailgate TV cabinet

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Other than some finishing touches, I'm just about done with our custom tailgate TV cabinet just in time for the season so I thought I'd share.

This is actually a ceiling TV mount. I just flipped the plate upside down. Also pictured is the gas struts I put in for easing the opening and closing of the lid, plus hold the lid open during use.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201694.882787.jpg

39" LED LCD
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201740.155203.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201762.413826.jpg

Sound bar installed which has blue tooth for streaming music.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201844.239314.jpg

Had some fun with the paint job. I still need to touch up some areas but I was going for the aged/vintage look.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201966.332928.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441202059.442550.jpg

Not pictured is the Dish receiver I installed behind the TV that will hook up to a Dish Tailgater mobile satellite. It's pretty slick, it automatically finds the signal within just a few minutes. The setup will be powered by a super quiet Honda generator.

Let me know what you think! :)

Last edited:

OSU79

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Nice! I've taken a lot of your elements - tv, sound bar, portable dish and Honda generator - then I found an old horse trailer at a pawn shop, paid $300 bucks for it, and began converting it to a tailgate trailer. Can't post pics from work, but I'm getting close to complete (or complete enough for first home game). It will be rather 'rustic,' but it will hold all our stuff and I can lock up the tv, dish and generator in about 1 min when it's time to enter the stadium.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Nice! I've taken a lot of your elements - tv, sound bar, portable dish and Honda generator - then I found an old horse trailer at a pawn shop, paid $300 bucks for it, and began converting it to a tailgate trailer. Can't post pics from work, but I'm getting close to complete (or complete enough for first home game). It will be rather 'rustic,' but it will hold all our stuff and I can lock up the tv, dish and generator in about 1 min when it's time to enter the stadium.
Very cool! I definitely want to see some pics when you are finished.

Yeah, I didn't want to deal with the mess of hooking up a bunch of stuff, risk damaging the TV during transport, etc.. This way I can plug in the power strip to the generator, fire it up and be watching SportsCenter within just a few minutes. Then when it's time to go to the game it won't take but a few seconds to close it up and lock it in my truck.

OSU79

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Very cool! I definitely want to see some pics when you are finished.

Yeah, I didn't want to deal with the mess of hooking up a bunch of stuff, risk damaging the TV during transport, etc.. This way I can plug in the power strip to the generator, fire it up and be watching SportsCenter within just a few minutes. Then when it's time to go to the game it won't take but a few seconds to close it up and lock it in my truck.
Exactly the point. Quick setup and takedown has my wife excited about the tailgate for the first time.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Does the box just stay in the truck bed and everything "pops up"? Or is this made to be lifted in and out of the bed??? Also, did you do some waterproofing??? Or do you have a bed cover on your truck?

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Does the box just stay in the truck bed and everything "pops up"? Or is this made to be lifted in and out of the bed??? Also, did you do some waterproofing??? Or do you have a bed cover on your truck?
We plan to keep it in the truck bed/tailgate and set up the canopy right behind. I have a tri-fold, waterproof bed cover to keep it (hopefully) safe and secure when it's not in use. With that mount I can angle the TV up and down, so we could set it on the ground and angle it up if need be.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
We plan to keep it in the truck bed/tailgate and set up the canopy right behind. I have a tri-fold, waterproof bed cover to keep it (hopefully) safe and secure when it's not in use. With that mount I can angle the TV up and down, so we could set it on the ground and angle it up if need be.
Awesome! Make sure and come back here and post some game day setup pics in the upcoming weeks. I'd like to see the setup in action! Great budget-minded project! Even has more applications than just game day (I would think).

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
What was the technique for the paint job? I like it!
It's all spray paint. After I got the black base on, I taped off the stripes with painters tape. For the aged look I did a light coat of black over the orange and silver and then roughed it up with some sandpaper. I got some stencils for the "COWBOYS" at Hobby Lobby and made my own stencils with an outline of the state and the OSU brand with printed off images I pulled online.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Okay. That's cool!!! Although, (lol) having a 39" TV in a big ol' box and then sliding it in the back of a truck REALLY minimizes any "appearance of size".

Not that a 39" TV is gargantuan... Heck, even a 55" TV in this kinda setup would probably end up looking small.

Still, LOVE this idea. Minimize price and complexity, maximize in ease of use and portability! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: