Cuccinelli confirms Persecuted Christians will be denied asylum request after new 18,000 refugee cap hit

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Asked on the WH lawn this morning if the WH would allow refugee status to persecuted Christians next year after the new 18,000 refugee cap is hit

Cuccinelli responded
'I take issue with how you ask your alleged question' 'Absolutely not, we'll turn them back'

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
How so? It would put a bad spin on it if he singled out specific religions for special treatment.
From his speech
In July, I met with survivors of religious persecution at the White House. And we’re honored that many of them could be here today as well. Some of these individuals suffered as a result of state-sponsored persecution; others, at the hands of terrorists and criminals. No matter the case, America will always be a voice for victims of religious persecution everywhere. No matter where you go, you have a place in the United States of America.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
How so? It would put a bad spin on it if he singled out specific religions for special treatment.
From his speech
In July, I met with survivors of religious persecution at the White House. And we’re honored that many of them could be here today as well. Some of these individuals suffered as a result of state-sponsored persecution; others, at the hands of terrorists and criminals. No matter the case, America will always be a voice for victims of religious persecution everywhere. No matter where you go, you have a place in the United States of America.
Unless we dont have the room for you

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
From his speech
He says all religions are welcome in the us, not that every religious person in the world can just stroll on in

It's very telling that some people choose to criticize Trump over this instead of the situations these people are fleeing from. THAT puts a negative spin on his speech.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
He says all religions are welcome in the us, not that every religious person in the world can just stroll on in
if 18,000 Buddhist are granted refugee status in January then will you be happy with your govt turning away and refusing 40,000 Christians for 11 months who come begging to the US to protect them because they are fleeing Jihad terrorist in the Middle East who are hunting and slaughtering them?

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
if 18,000 Buddhist are granted refugee status in January then will you be happy with your govt turning away and refusing 40,000 Christians for 11 months who come begging to the US to protect them because they are fleeing Jihad terrorist in the Middle East who are hunting and slaughtering them?
If we took in every single refugee it would destroy the country. We don't have the resources for the people we have, what makes you think we have more for millions more of third worlders?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If we took in every single refugee it would destroy the country. We don't have the resources for the people we have, what makes you think we have more for millions more of third worlders?

Never said we had to take any or all of them. But to set an arbitrary number on it and then say regardless of what is happening once we hit that arbitrary number we no longer are going to consider anyone else.

This is just stupid policy

It should be considered on a case by case basis for refugee status. Instead of turning our back to those who are truly in need because we hit some arbitrary quota set before any reason, need or circumstance is even considered.

I find it stupid our Government would refuse to accept Christians fleeing execution in their home countries as refugees because a quota was already hit and allow their execution to continue because of a quota limit

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Never said we had to take any or all of them. But to set an arbitrary number on it and then say regardless of what is happening once we hit that arbitrary number we no longer are going to consider anyone else.
You can't have it both ways. If you aren't going to take them all, then at some point between some and all you have to draw a line. Leaving it fluid is exactly how you get officials playing favorites or going too far for political reasons.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can't answer that without more information. Why do you think I'd care less about Buddhists being persecuted than I would Christians?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I can't answer that without more information. Why do you think I'd care less about Buddhists being persecuted than I would Christians?
Hypothetical question does not implicate anything about your personal beliefs

and you are correct on leaving it fluid...you can set tighter rules and process for refugee acceptance without drawing a red line in the sand....wreaks of governing like Obama did with arbitrary numbers which will become targets to be broken just to make the US look bad

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Hypothetical question does not implicate anything about your personal beliefs

and you are correct on leaving it fluid...you can set tighter rules and process for refugee acceptance without drawing a red line in the sand....wreaks of governing like Obama did with arbitrary numbers which will become targets to be broken just to make the US look bad
I seriously don't know the answer to this. But what evidence do you have that the number is arbitrary?