Crude Oil Collapses - Again

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
If we keep working from home I don't think oil will never recover but it certainly will slow it. Part of the issue has also been people avoiding getting out to go ANYWHERE, not just work. After we get through all of this then recreational travel should pick back up.

I've been working from home the last month (I guess, I've lost track by now, lol) and I actually get the same work, if not more, done while I'm home because I don't have the distractions and all the people that would be bugging me in the office keeping my from getting my work done. Plus I work outside of just my 7-4 shift since I'm not having to worry about the traffic getting home. I commute 30+ minutes with my current shift (missing that 4:00 departure by even just 10 minutes bumps that out to an hour commute). I'm not so crunched for time at home because I can easily keep working after 4 and then if I'm bored in the evening I can work some more. We're a production facility and while the office staff have been working from home, production has continued like normal. When business picks back up we definitely won't be able to have office staff work from home every day because we still have to support the production floor but I definitely wouldn't hate a mixed shift going in some days, working from home on others.
I just wonder, if American work commuting drops by 50% permanently, what the impact on oil prices will be.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Most definitely, that is where the commercial real estate market is IMO going to be really shaken up over this. I know there are tons of small businesses like the one I work for, that have the traditional office/warehouse shared space. No way we renew that lease after this if I were to guess. I think we'll start to see a lot of outsourcing of fulfillment and the office segment of the space going completely to work from home. I like your company's idea of a one day per week or so idea for keeping people connected, but I think when that benefit is weighed against the ability to completely eliminate facilities expense, your company will probably opt for the latter. Even to the point where conference room rental spaces in major hotels may really get a jump. ONe thing is for sure, there will be major shifts in the way we do business moving forward.
The one day a week was part of a plan to cut down on the office space and just have different teams come in on different days of the week (so in theory they can cut the office space down by 4/5th) It was both for the face to face connections (without a screen between them...lol) and for those training's that cannot be virtually.

Nov 6, 2010
The one day a week was part of a plan to cut down on the office space and just have different teams come in on different days of the week (so in theory they can cut the office space down by 4/5th) It was both for the face to face connections (without a screen between them...lol) and for those training's that cannot be virtually.
Yea, but I have to think these trends take a more permanent hold, especially if you take into account the mentality of the upcoming generation of workers.