CRFF - Football Recruiting: First 2021 commit Kolbe Fields talks picking OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OP News

Greenhorn
Feb 17, 2018
Rob Ferguson-USA TODAY Sports
Fields discusses visit, Coach Knowles, and more

Oklahoma State landed their first 2021 commit earlier this week in three-star linebacker Kolbie Fields. His decision came following a visit to Stillwater during Junior Day on Saturday.

Phillip Slavin: What were some things that really stood out to you during your visit last Saturday?

Kolbie Fields: “The things that stood out to me in Stillwater was the love from the coaches, how they treated me as family as soon as I stepped foot on campus.”

Fields is a 6-1, 205-pound outside linebacker from outside New Orleans, Louisiana and ranked as a top-20 prospect in the state by 247Sports. He picked OSU over South Alabama, Tulane, and Nicholls State.

PS: What were the things about OSU that convinced you it was the right school for you?

KF: “Oklahoma State’s coaching staff and the environment that comes with the school. As soon as you step foot on the campus the coaches make you feel like you belong there and you’re family.”

PS: Since Coach Knowles is in charge of the linebackers, he’ll be your position coach. What was he like?

KF: “Coach Knowles is a guy that can relate. He and I come from the same background and he understands the problems I face. We just hit it off as soon as we started talking.”

According to Gabe Brooks of 247Sports, Fields is expected to play inside linebacker for OSU.

Fields has experience playing multiple linebacker positions. As a junior, he recorded 105 tackles including 10 TFLs, three interceptions, and two forced fumbles for Archbishop Rummel, helping them go 13-0 and win the Division I Louisiana state championship.

PS: How would you describe your game, your style of play?

KF: “I play fast and physical. If you’re fast and physical. If you’re fast they can’t catch up to your speed. If they are just as fast, my physicality will make them tired of playmaking.”

Fields is OSU’s first commit for 2021, and plays at a position that will be of importance in the class.

PS: As the first commit for 2021, what kind of role are you taking in trying to help get other recruits to Stillwater?

KF: “I’m trying to be the leader, trying to pave the way for other recruits.”

PS: What convinced you to go ahead and commit now?

KF: “I mean, why wait it out. When you know what’s right for you.”

Continue reading...