Cowgirls vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Gambler

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jan 20, 2007
Edmond, OK
Nice to hear that no one is transferring out. I saw the picture of the Zoom team meeting on Twitter a couple of days ago and it looked like all of the returnees were present.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
It was a home run hire for them. Schafer is a Houston native that spent 9 years with Gary Blair as an assistant at Texas A&M before finally landing at miss state. Miss State actually matched the offer financially, but coming back home to be closer to family was too hard to resist.

Chris Del Conte has been god send for Texas’s athletic department. He’s made several home run hires and goes after big fish. Karen Aston did a solid job, but I’ve heard there’s a lot of meddling from administrators that made the job difficult the last several years. It’ll be interesting to see who Leaves/stays once he shows up.

In terms for OSU, doesn’t change anything. We need to worrying about making the tourney on a annual basis. We’re not Baylor or Texas, but doesn’t mean we can’t have success. Coaches are still looking for a possible grad transfer but so far nothing. You might see them kick back the last scholarship to the 2021 class. We have 3 kids in the 2020 class. Two have signed and the 3rd will sign on the April 15th spring signing period. No one is transferring out of the program, which is a good thing. Just have to continue developing the talent we have.
Who is the 3rd in the class? If you can't provide that information, what position does this 3rd commit play? The Cowgirls desperately need someone who can be a threat behind the arc.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Who is the 3rd in the class? If you can't provide that information, what position does this 3rd commit play? The Cowgirls desperately need someone who can be a threat behind the arc.
I can't provide that information, but she's supposed a kid that can shoot the ball. I believe she's an international kid. I do know they're looking at a JUCO player that should be making a decision today, and if she chooses us, then I'll let you know

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I can't provide that information, but she's supposed a kid that can shoot the ball. I believe she's an international kid. I do know they're looking at a JUCO player that should be making a decision today, and if she chooses us, then I'll let you know
Hopefully she can shoot. Because they just landed the juco center. That's not a position I was worried about.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Hopefully she can shoot. Because they just landed the juco center. That's not a position I was worried about.
Well in that case, that puts us at a full 15 in terms of scholarship, meaning we're done recruiting for the 2020 class barring someone leaves, which based on what I've heard I don't expect anyone to transfer. Both unsigned players should submit their LOI's next week making it official, in which the school will make it public.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
https://twitter.com/OSUWBB/status/1250431765623136257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is the young lady I was talking about. She came on an official when we hosted Texas Tech.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
https://twitter.com/OSUWBB/status/1250431765623136257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is the young lady I was talking about. She came on an official when we hosted Texas Tech.
Hopefully she can hit from outside. Highlights I was able to find show her strengths to be a slashing/driving guard. Without the ability to hit the 3, Mack and Gray are going to find it tough to score inside again this year.

Hopefully the JUCO center can come in and provide great minutes as well. DeLapp, for some reason, can't seem to find any consistency on the offensive end. 2 double digit scoring games per year and only 1 double digit rebounding game aren't great from a productivity standpoint. She is a bigger & tougher body on the defensive end that is needed to hold out some of the Big 12 posts.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Hopefully she can hit from outside. Highlights I was able to find show her strengths to be a slashing/driving guard. Without the ability to hit the 3, Mack and Gray are going to find it tough to score inside again this year.

Hopefully the JUCO center can come in and provide great minutes as well. DeLapp, for some reason, can't seem to find any consistency on the offensive end. 2 double digit scoring games per year and only 1 double digit rebounding game aren't great from a productivity standpoint. She is a bigger & tougher body on the defensive end that is needed to hold out some of the Big 12 posts.
Everything I've heard is she's a kid that can shot from 3. Also, seeing her at the Texas Tech game, she's definitely a lot taller than 5'9. She's closer to 6'0, likely 5'11. I do agree that if struggle to hit from 3, we'll likely see similar results to this past season. One thing this staff needs to do IMO is nurture the confidence in some of the players. Part of the reason we struggled making shots is simply b/c they didn't have the belief/confidence in making perimeter shots. Teams would literally not guard their man, sag off to the paint and dare players to shoot the ball. When you can't make open jumpers, that's a problem. If we can make not only 3's, but perimeter shots, this team could potentially be dangerous. Not predicting us to win the league, but a top 3-4 finish is a real possibility. I think the fact they didn't take a grad transfer says that believe in the guards they currently have. Not that they didn't try b/c they did. There was a kid from Bowling Green (Andrea Cecil) G/F they wanted that ended up choosing Florida Gulf Coast University, and that's a mid major that literally shoots 3's. Another kid from George Mason, Nicole Cardano Hillary (PG) we reached out to decided to go to Indiana. All time leading scorer at her school, conference player of the year in 2018. Not a lot of quality grad transfers up to this point. A lot of grad transfers in the portal currently have injury histories or baggage. There's isn't a Lauren Goodwin in the portal right now.

In terms of the JUCO center, at first I didn't think it was much of a need, but I see why they got her. She was fairly highly coveted, I mean we beat out Texas, Depaul, Colorado, several big 10, SEC schools for her. Your assessment on DeLapp is spot on. Defensively she'll mix it up, and she's a big body but thats about it. She's not an aggressive rebounder, and this team needs a 2nd dominant rebounder. She also doesn't seek her shot, which puts more responsibility on Mack and Gray. Also, this move allows Mack to play the 4, her natural position, and the position she was recruited to play. She played the 5 most of the entire season. As good as Mack is, there's a lot more to her game. Her ability to score stretches to the 3 point line, but wasn't allowed to showcase those skills due to needed to get cheap baskets. Sorry for rambling lol.