Cowgirls vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Gambler

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jan 20, 2007
Edmond, OK
Nice to hear that no one is transferring out. I saw the picture of the Zoom team meeting on Twitter a couple of days ago and it looked like all of the returnees were present.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
It was a home run hire for them. Schafer is a Houston native that spent 9 years with Gary Blair as an assistant at Texas A&M before finally landing at miss state. Miss State actually matched the offer financially, but coming back home to be closer to family was too hard to resist.

Chris Del Conte has been god send for Texas’s athletic department. He’s made several home run hires and goes after big fish. Karen Aston did a solid job, but I’ve heard there’s a lot of meddling from administrators that made the job difficult the last several years. It’ll be interesting to see who Leaves/stays once he shows up.

In terms for OSU, doesn’t change anything. We need to worrying about making the tourney on a annual basis. We’re not Baylor or Texas, but doesn’t mean we can’t have success. Coaches are still looking for a possible grad transfer but so far nothing. You might see them kick back the last scholarship to the 2021 class. We have 3 kids in the 2020 class. Two have signed and the 3rd will sign on the April 15th spring signing period. No one is transferring out of the program, which is a good thing. Just have to continue developing the talent we have.
Who is the 3rd in the class? If you can't provide that information, what position does this 3rd commit play? The Cowgirls desperately need someone who can be a threat behind the arc.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Who is the 3rd in the class? If you can't provide that information, what position does this 3rd commit play? The Cowgirls desperately need someone who can be a threat behind the arc.
I can't provide that information, but she's supposed a kid that can shoot the ball. I believe she's an international kid. I do know they're looking at a JUCO player that should be making a decision today, and if she chooses us, then I'll let you know

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I can't provide that information, but she's supposed a kid that can shoot the ball. I believe she's an international kid. I do know they're looking at a JUCO player that should be making a decision today, and if she chooses us, then I'll let you know
Hopefully she can shoot. Because they just landed the juco center. That's not a position I was worried about.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Hopefully she can shoot. Because they just landed the juco center. That's not a position I was worried about.
Well in that case, that puts us at a full 15 in terms of scholarship, meaning we're done recruiting for the 2020 class barring someone leaves, which based on what I've heard I don't expect anyone to transfer. Both unsigned players should submit their LOI's next week making it official, in which the school will make it public.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
https://twitter.com/OSUWBB/status/1250431765623136257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is the young lady I was talking about. She came on an official when we hosted Texas Tech.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
https://twitter.com/OSUWBB/status/1250431765623136257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is the young lady I was talking about. She came on an official when we hosted Texas Tech.
Hopefully she can hit from outside. Highlights I was able to find show her strengths to be a slashing/driving guard. Without the ability to hit the 3, Mack and Gray are going to find it tough to score inside again this year.

Hopefully the JUCO center can come in and provide great minutes as well. DeLapp, for some reason, can't seem to find any consistency on the offensive end. 2 double digit scoring games per year and only 1 double digit rebounding game aren't great from a productivity standpoint. She is a bigger & tougher body on the defensive end that is needed to hold out some of the Big 12 posts.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Hopefully she can hit from outside. Highlights I was able to find show her strengths to be a slashing/driving guard. Without the ability to hit the 3, Mack and Gray are going to find it tough to score inside again this year.

Hopefully the JUCO center can come in and provide great minutes as well. DeLapp, for some reason, can't seem to find any consistency on the offensive end. 2 double digit scoring games per year and only 1 double digit rebounding game aren't great from a productivity standpoint. She is a bigger & tougher body on the defensive end that is needed to hold out some of the Big 12 posts.
Everything I've heard is she's a kid that can shot from 3. Also, seeing her at the Texas Tech game, she's definitely a lot taller than 5'9. She's closer to 6'0, likely 5'11. I do agree that if struggle to hit from 3, we'll likely see similar results to this past season. One thing this staff needs to do IMO is nurture the confidence in some of the players. Part of the reason we struggled making shots is simply b/c they didn't have the belief/confidence in making perimeter shots. Teams would literally not guard their man, sag off to the paint and dare players to shoot the ball. When you can't make open jumpers, that's a problem. If we can make not only 3's, but perimeter shots, this team could potentially be dangerous. Not predicting us to win the league, but a top 3-4 finish is a real possibility. I think the fact they didn't take a grad transfer says that believe in the guards they currently have. Not that they didn't try b/c they did. There was a kid from Bowling Green (Andrea Cecil) G/F they wanted that ended up choosing Florida Gulf Coast University, and that's a mid major that literally shoots 3's. Another kid from George Mason, Nicole Cardano Hillary (PG) we reached out to decided to go to Indiana. All time leading scorer at her school, conference player of the year in 2018. Not a lot of quality grad transfers up to this point. A lot of grad transfers in the portal currently have injury histories or baggage. There's isn't a Lauren Goodwin in the portal right now.

In terms of the JUCO center, at first I didn't think it was much of a need, but I see why they got her. She was fairly highly coveted, I mean we beat out Texas, Depaul, Colorado, several big 10, SEC schools for her. Your assessment on DeLapp is spot on. Defensively she'll mix it up, and she's a big body but thats about it. She's not an aggressive rebounder, and this team needs a 2nd dominant rebounder. She also doesn't seek her shot, which puts more responsibility on Mack and Gray. Also, this move allows Mack to play the 4, her natural position, and the position she was recruited to play. She played the 5 most of the entire season. As good as Mack is, there's a lot more to her game. Her ability to score stretches to the 3 point line, but wasn't allowed to showcase those skills due to needed to get cheap baskets. Sorry for rambling lol.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Congrats to the Gerlich family.....not surprised to see her go play for her mom. Grew up a lady raider, and they don't like going against each other. Once that job opened up, I figured she would be in line for the job. IMO she's done everything she could for UTA, and was destined for a P5 job. She's already convinced two of her top scorers to return after entering the transfer portal, and landed Chantae Embrey from Norman. She loves to recruit Okpreps kids, so she might be a problem for us from a recruiting standpoint.

https://twitter.com/10Bryn/status/1296624097435279360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Well, if her sister is not on the roster anymore, then you can worry.
Her sister graduated after last season. No surprise that she worked hard to graduate early. She will likely be going somewhere as a grad transfer & will be a WNBA pick next season.

Gerlich was someone I wish OSU would've approached as she turned UTA around and maintained success. She will likely win more recruiting battles than she loses with Littell and Coale.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
Her sister graduated after last season. No surprise that she worked hard to graduate early. She will likely be going somewhere as a grad transfer & will be a WNBA pick next season.

Gerlich was someone I wish OSU would've approached as she turned UTA around and maintained success. She will likely win more recruiting battles than she loses with Littell and Coale.
I agree about Krista Gerlich. She was already winning recruiting battles with OSU while at UTA. Misty Dossey (Comanche, OK) and Terryn Milton (Owasso, OK) both held offers from OSU before choosing UTA.

Then Gerlich takes the Tech job and her first commitment is from Chantae Embry (Norman, OK). Embry, a class of 2021 4-star recruit, was committed to OSU at one point.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
https://twitter.com/StwNewsPress/status/1298757875565760513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Unfortunately....its true!!! When I was told about this I was stunned at first.....but the more I thought about it, it wasn't all that surprising. Let me say this...this isn't on Jim Littell and OSU. They were blindsided by this especially her teammates. This was literally the perfect storm, and things didn't go in our favor. This was going to be a difficult year for Vivian from the start with no Olivia by her side. This is a young woman that leans on her big sister heavily through the highs and lows. Bryn and Vivian are very close...and basically are family. They grew up together in life and in basketball through the AAU. When Bryn left to join her mother, it was the straw the broke the camel's back as they say. This is a someone who marches to her own beat of the drum...and places a premium on comfort and family. After all, she chose to go a D2 school b/c it was her mom's alma mater, her sister was there, and she knew a lot of people at the school.

Happy for Bryn and her family. I don't blame her for wanting to be with her mom. She grew up a lady raider fan, and hated going against her mom. Maybe this will be the move to help her thrive. Her younger brother has also joined Texas Tech as a walk on football player. This is literally a family move, and this is Krista's dream job. She's been passed over twice, and damn near 3 times. She wasn't even the 1st choice for the job this go-around, but after two coaches turned it down, they finally made the offer. If Stollings never gets fired, Bryn and Vivian are still here.

Where Vivian's goes is the million dollar question? One would think Texas Tech would be a logical fit for numerous of reasons.
-First, it would put her in a place of comfort. It would place her with the Gerlich family, who she holds in high regard.
-Second, style of play would is a dream scenario. Gerlich would allow her to play the 4 in small ball, and she would destroy PF's. Also, tech has Christyn Carr and Lexi Gordon, their leading scores. She won't have to carry the load, which she won't have to play 40 minutes a night, and she won't have to shot as many 3's, and with Carr and Gordon shooting 37% and 36% from 3 respectively, this will allow her shoot mid range shots all day....all this will lead to a much more efficient Vivian Gray IMO. Texas Tech lacks a big b/c Brittney Brewer graduating, but with Carr, Gordan, and Viv, along with some of their opportunistic shooters, they could be a top 4-5 team in the league.

I do expect a numerous teams to make a run at her especially Texas and Vic Schafer. Maybe 3rd times the charm? She wouldn't give the longhorns the time of day in HS, and when she transferred from Fort Lewis.

What does mean to OSU?? Truth be told this is devastating...2X All-Americans don't grow on trees. You're losing high end scoring as well as defending. Offensively, you literally are putting the weight on Natasha Mack's shoulders!! This team now only has 1 legit scoring threat with a bunch of unknowns. You could make the argument this team might be the worst in the conference, and wouldn't be shocked if they're picked to finished last in the big XII. It'll be interesting to see how much development these sophmores made over the summer with no coaching. I would expect Taylen Collins (freshman) to likely fill Gray's spot as I've heard she's done really well in workouts.

Finally...the Australian Tali Notoa has made it to campus. She was having difficulty making it to Stillwater b/c of her inability to get her passport. Sydney had an outbreak, and the embassy had been closed, but recently opened back up. If she wasn't here by the 28th, she wouldn't been allowed on campus til January. These coaches are going have to work extremely hard to see postseason play, whether it's NCAA or WNIT.

Last edited: