Cowgirl Golf Team Not Part of Regional Play

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Two of our players were selected to play in the upcoming regional, CONGRATULATIONS to therm!!!

What I just do not understand, how can a school with such a golf tradition not even field one of the top 64 ladies' teams? They made the nationals about 4-5 years ago, almost finishing top-10, have regularly been to regionals. What happened this year?

Apr 14, 2009
Fire the coach!!!
Isn’t that what we say about all of our coaches if they have a down season. It’s the oldest Aggie joke of all time.
In response to your question. I have no idea. But you can bet your hard-earned money that Mike Holder does

Aug 16, 2012
Hasn't really been the same since Amy Weeks left. Lindberg, Sjodin were elite.
Guess that is the age-old question....why do we never seem to be able to sustain success instead of up and down. Not complaining, just trying to understand. Football, basketball, it makes more sense to me as there are more moving parts. But with a top-flight golf program with the best college course in the country and a golf AD...just seems like it would be easier to reload instead of the up and down.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Guess that is the age-old question....why do we never seem to be able to sustain success instead of up and down. Not complaining, just trying to understand. Football, basketball, it makes more sense to me as there are more moving parts. But with a top-flight golf program with the best college course in the country and a golf AD...just seems like it would be easier to reload instead of the up and down.
I hear ya. I don't know exactly what went down with Amy Weeks, but she left coaching to become Senior Woman Administrator at OSU, & she was a damn, damn good coach. She was really there when the LPGA was at its' peak, with Sorenstam, Wie, Pak & others really getting a lot of coverage. A lot of the $$ dried up for the LPGA & we really haven't heard from it since.

To your point, though, there are plenty of other programs asking the same questions through the years & the answers are varied. In our case, Stillwater's not the end destination for a lot of people, no matter how much we love it. For others, they wanna return home, etc...

woodog

Wrangler
May 29, 2007
No doubt that this year was disappointing. Last year hurt when our best player, Maddie McCrary, turned pro during the fall semester. Our top 3 players this year were arguably freshmen, and two of those arrived in the spring. We also have an extremely talented group of incoming freshmen, two of which recently participated in the first ever Augusta Women's Amateur event the week before the Masters.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
You can bet that Holder is on top of this and trying to do the things to improve the program. Holder certainly knows golf, OSU and the how to run a golf program.
Let's all go have a beer and relax knowing the best man for the job is on the job.

Aug 16, 2012
You can bet that Holder is on top of this and trying to do the things to improve the program. Holder certainly knows golf, OSU and the how to run a golf program.
Let's all go have a beer and relax knowing the best man for the job is on the job.
All over it indeed. Coach Jones dismissed (not retained) this afternoon.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
My bet is they’ll elevate Par Nilsson to head coach. He’s the current assistant coach and I think he does a lot if not most of the recruiting already. He’s a former All American OSU golfer and a “Holder Guy”. The existing players and recruits love him. In fact, it’s working out almost exactly the way the Mike McGraw/Alan Bratton situation went down. Hopefully, we will get similar results. I wish Coach Jones all the best. She’s a great lady!

Apr 14, 2009
My bet is they’ll elevate Par Nilsson to head coach. He’s the current assistant coach and I think he does a lot if not most of the recruiting already. He’s a former All American OSU golfer and a “Holder Guy”. The existing players and recruits love him. In fact, it’s working out almost exactly the way the Mike McGraw/Alan Bratton situation went down. Hopefully, we will get similar results. I wish Coach Jones all the best. She’s a great lady!
Title 9 problems are coming.