Cowboys Wrestling 2017-2018

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I know football is king for spectators but for us wrestling fans, the season is right around the corner. This year will be a rebuilding (more of a reloading year, IMO) but I am still exited to make it to Stillwater to watch some matches. The schedule is heavily backloaded with every home match except one scheduled for January and February. Two months between home matches is a long time. I know it has been reported that Fix and Joe Smith are redshirting. Any other notable redshirts or injuries? Anybody with any insight about the upcoming year, fire away and lets get some wrestling chatter going. Go Pokes! :smith:

Home Matches are in bold

11/11/2017 North Carolina, Albany, NY
11/12/2017 Journeymen Classic Albany, NY
11/19/2017 Minnesota Stillwater, OK
11/26/2017 North Dakota State Fargo, ND
12/17/2017 Reno Tournament of Champions Reno, NV
12/18/2017 Northern Colorado Greeley, CO
12/19/2017 Wyoming Laramie, WY
1/1-2/2018 Southern Scuffle Chattanooga, TN
1/5/2018 NC State Naples, Italy
1/14/2018 Iowa Iowa City, IA
1/19/2018 West Virginia Stillwater, OK
1/21/2018 Kent State Stillwater, OK
1/27/2018 Missouri Stillwater, OK
1/28/2018 Iowa State Stillwater, OK
2/3/2018 Northern Iowa Stillwater, OK
2/9/2018 Edinboro Stillwater, OK
2/11/2018 Oklahoma Stillwater, OK

2/18/2018 Fresno State Fresno, Calif.

3/3-4/2018 Big 12 Championships Tulsa, OK

3/15-17/2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships Cleveland, OH

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't be shocked to see them redshirt Wiegel with his injury. Theoretically we could sit Brock and try to get him an extra medical hardship year too.

I think it's incredibly smart to redshirt Fix and Smith this year. Smith just isn't going to beat Jason Nolf from Penn State... and I don't think anybody is going to finish ahead of Penn State or Ohio State this season.

Next year and beyond could be really special though... As @Seth25809er has said multiple times, Fix could be that next superstar that the sport needs and it will be huge that he is ours.

Mar 27, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked to see them redshirt Wiegel with his injury. Theoretically we could sit Brock and try to get him an extra medical hardship year too.

I think it's incredibly smart to redshirt Fix and Smith this year. Smith just isn't going to beat Jason Nolf from Penn State... and I don't think anybody is going to finish ahead of Penn State or Ohio State this season.

Next year and beyond could be really special though... As @Seth25809er has said multiple times, Fix could be that next superstar that the sport needs and it will be huge that he is ours.
With all of these definite and possible redshirts, where will we finish in the grand scheme of things in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament? Also, can't Fix wrestle unattached at the tournaments and still retain his redshirt status? I'd like to see him plow through some tournaments as a true freshman to set the tone for his career.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
With all of these definite and possible redshirts, where will we finish in the grand scheme of things in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament? Also, can't Fix wrestle unattached at the tournaments and still retain his redshirt status? I'd like to see him plow through some tournaments as a true freshman to set the tone for his career.
We should still win the Big 12 with ease. ISU and OU are building in the right direction's with their new coaching staff's, but they aren't ready to make the Big 12 interesting yet.

3rd place is probably the ceiling at the NCAA's with what PSU and tOSU have,Thre's no reason we shouldn't compete for that, but ASU, Michigan, and maybe a couple others will be in that mix for 3rd also.

Fix can wrestle unattached as a redshirt. He has the U23 world's in November though, so my guess is we won't see him until the Southern Scuffle. With Fix in the field 125 might be almost as tough as it will be at the NCAA tournament. It'll have Cruz, the champ from last year, Tomasello, the favorite to win it this year, and Fix/Piccininni. So it'll have 3 of the top 5 at the weight currently and Fix. Basically just missing Suriano, who is coming off injury and transfer, and the Minnesota kid that made the finals last year.

Mar 27, 2012
We should still win the Big 12 with ease. ISU and OU are building in the right direction's with their new coaching staff's, but they aren't ready to make the Big 12 interesting yet.

3rd place is probably the ceiling at the NCAA's with what PSU and tOSU have,Thre's no reason we shouldn't compete for that, but ASU, Michigan, and maybe a couple others will be in that mix for 3rd also.

Fix can wrestle unattached as a redshirt. He has the U23 world's in November though, so my guess is we won't see him until the Southern Scuffle. With Fix in the field 125 might be almost as tough as it will be at the NCAA tournament. It'll have Cruz, the champ from last year, Tomasello, the favorite to win it this year, and Fix/Piccininni. So it'll have 3 of the top 5 at the weight currently and Fix. Basically just missing Suriano, who is coming off injury and transfer, and the Minnesota kid that made the finals last year.
You are way more in touch with and more knowledgeable about the program than I am. What is your projected lineup?

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
You are way more in touch with and more knowledgeable about the program than I am. What is your projected lineup?
125-Piccinnini
133-Brock
141-Heil
149-Martinez or Lewallen. IMO Lewallen could go either way though.
157-Blaylock. There's a chance Martinez moves up here if Lewallen beats him out to start though.
165-Rogers
174-Jacobe Smith
184-Keegan Moore
197-Marsden/Weigel-Weigel's hurt, but unless he takes a year off he'll come back out and take over here.
285-Derek White.

I was told at last year that the best HWT in the room was the Andrews kid, but because of the log jam at 197 with White/Weigel/Marsden Marsden was going down to 184, Weigel staying at 197, and White bulking up to fill out 285 similar to what Schafer did last year. To my understanding because of the injury to Weigel Marsden won't pull down now unless/until Weigel comes back and still may not then.

This is a solid lineup though. There's not a better 125-141 lineup in the country. 149 will either be a former All American in Martinez or Lewallen who beat a lot of top guys at 141 last year. Blaylock was pretty solid at 157 last year while Smith was out, then you have another AA at 165 in Rogers. Jacobe Smith was a 2 time JUCO champ and one of the more intriguing guys to watch out for on the team IMO. He beat Daniel Lewis this summer along with some other pretty solid guys during his redshirt year. The talent's there for him to be pretty good. Tough weight, but I could see him finishing top 8 for sure, maybe top 5. I don't know what to expect from Moore at 184, but it's hard to expect a lot from a freshman at a heavier weight, any production from him will be positive. I liked the idea of the Marsden/Weigel/White lineup, so I think the best scenario is that, but don't know if it will happen or if Marsden can pull down. Marsden will be good at 197, Weigel if back and healthy will also. I don't know what to expect with the injury, but would've penciled in Weigel as a potential NCAA finalist without it. Really hoping to see White do well at the HWT. He fell off at the end of the season, but it worked really well for Schafer early on making the bump from 197 to HWT hoping for similar this year with White basically doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2007
I think Wyatt Sheets might be in the mix at 157 as well. Smith said Weigel likely would be back in January. I'm concerned with White finding some offense.

Nov 8, 2013
How many of this year's projected starters will be back next year along with Fix, Smith, etc.? Forgetting who the seniors are.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I think Wyatt Sheets might be in the mix at 157 as well. Smith said Weigel likely would be back in January. I'm concerned with White finding some offense.
Weigel's the one I'm most concerned with on his offense. If he can develop some I really believe he has a chance to be a NCAA finalist. He'll definitely have a shot next year. 197 graduates a lot, but I don't see anyone beating Kollin Moore.

Sheets left the team and school last year. He's back, so he definitely "could", but I'm not sure that he will be a factor since he didn't wrestle most of this last year. That said Heil almost left the team at one point and is probably going to be a 3 time champ, so there's definitely a chance he makes an impact on the team.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Wow. He will be missed, but that's fantastic.
Exactly.

There have only been about 30 3 time NCAA champs in the history of the sport and Heil's likely going to be one of them, but when you consider the fact that no one else leaves and Smith, Fix, etc... enter the lineup OSU will be much stronger next year.

Add to that tOSU graduates a lot and PSU will graduate a few. This is why myself, @CTeamPoke, and others are pretty big advocates of redshirting everyone. Thankfully Smith seems to see things the same way.

I'll just be interested to see who gets bumped out of the lineup next year at the lower weights because we have a ton of talent there.

Guys may grow, but Fix doesn't seem very big to me. I've always thought he could be a career 125, but I could be wrong. You could basically just insert him at 125 and bump Pic and Brock. Lewallen could come back down to 141 and you'd have Fix, Brock, and him with Martinez 149, and Smith back at 57. A lot of other combinations could play out. This will be a really interesting story line next year.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Will SDSU challenge Iowa State and OU for second in Big XII?
It will be between SDSU and OU for 2nd this year. ISU still has a lot to rebuild.

This may sound odd, but IMO OU will finish 2nd with SDSU 3rd, but at the NCAA tournament SDSU will finish higher than OU. OU has better depth that will score points at a conference tournament, but SDSU has more guys that will be All American/NCAA finalist's, which produces a lot more points at the NCAA's.

Jun 23, 2009
New York

will be very interesting to see what happens if Fix & Pics wrestle at the Scuffle. What happens if they do and Fix wins handily? Does Coach pull his redshirt?

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012