Cowboys vs Sooners MBB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Those aren't rankings, it's simply a 4 way tie for 6th.

By Big 12 tie breaking rules and tournament seeding....

6. Baylor
7. Texas
8. Oklahoma State
9. Oklahoma

There's only one thing getting OU in the NCAA Tournament and OSU out, RPI index. Which is based solely on winning percentages of the team and the teams they've played. It's a poor statisticians statistic.
Our rpi keeps climbing too. Despite it being an absurd thing anyway.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I know I'm biased but if i'm a committee member it would be really hard to put OU in over OSU considering recent play and Win loss against each other, assuming you're comparing those 2 teams for a spot.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Interesting thought. Had TY come to OSU, how we he have handled the MB Let's work philosophy?

Would he have bought in and made us that much better? Or is he the prima Donna all about me disruption that he is now.

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
In KC for the tourney. A couple of observations from last night. First, pleasantly surprised at the number of OSU fans at the game. With all the crap that happened in the off-season I expected a drop off in fans , but a good amount of orange and we were loud. Second, our team has fight! I can’t remember ever seeing a 53-27 edge in rebounds. We were all over OU. Finally, OU has clearly checked it in. They are lifeless right now. Trae Young looks like he is just going through the motions and biding his time until the NBA draft. I can’t see the selection committee putting a corpse of a team (OU)in the tourney over a team that is clearly gelling and playing it’s best ball at the critical time of the year (OSU). Now let’s go beat KU!

Sep 23, 2010
No doubt OU is going through the motions. It's hard to play a game where one guy dominates the ball so much. It's like watching them play a pick up game. He'll pass it to guy and run right to him to get it back so he can start dribbling. OU has some talented young players. I wonder if this Young experiment will set their program back. I wonder if the McGusty-types consider transferring after they were treated like sub-par players from the media and the game plan.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Interesting thought. Had TY come to OSU, how we he have handled the MB Let's work philosophy?

Would he have bought in and made us that much better? Or is he the prima Donna all about me disruption that he is now.
Seeing the 2018 version of Trae Young, I'm glad he didn't come here. But I really believe he would have bought-in under Boynton. Unfortunately for ou, Kruger let Trae get away with undisciplined hero-ball early in the year (and it was working), but when teams figured out how to stop the sooners, the Trae show fizzled.

I was a head high school coach here in Texas for years, and one of my philosophies with young players (freshman/soph) was to have a tight leash early, and loosen it as the year progressed. I learned that from watching Eddie growing up. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it worked for me, even with very talented players (granted, I wasn't coaching 1 and dones, either). In my opinion, this is where Kruger failed. Trae was lights out early, but Kruger couldn't reign him in once things got dicey. It's also obvious that this style of ball made the role players regress.

To get back to your question, I would have LOVED to have Trae here in Stillwater, no doubt. Haters are going to hate, but I recognize his talent and he could have helped. Boynton showed me a lot by the way he handled Kendall Smith. Yes, Smith wasn't a freshman...but he was a starter and a former ESPN 100 recruit. And he got BENCHED. For Averette! Talk about a sting and humbling experience. But after accepting coaching, he came back and is now playing to his full potential. I sincerely believe that Trae would have had a better, more successful team here* , but perhaps not the eye-popping numbers.

(*) I realize that OSU already has a better, more successful team without him, but I'm speaking about our perception nationally with the talking-heads.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
No doubt OU is going through the motions. It's hard to play a game where one guy dominates the ball so much. It's like watching them play a pick up game. He'll pass it to guy and run right to him to get it back so he can start dribbling. OU has some talented young players. I wonder if this Young experiment will set their program back. I wonder if the McGusty-types consider transferring after they were treated like sub-par players from the media and the game plan.
I put it squarely on Kreuger. It was still November when TY was putting up 23% FG and 13% 3-pt games, but scoring 35 points. He lost his team right then and there - he never corrected or changed things.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Our rpi keeps climbing too. Despite it being an absurd thing anyway.
Sitting at #83 right now.

We've played more top 50 RPI teams than anyone currently in the top 50 RPI Index!

We are 8-9 against top 50 RPI Teams.

OU 6-7
KU 12-2
Wichita State 4-4
TCU 4-8
TAMU 7-7
TTU 7-5
ARK 5-7
WVA 7-7
TX 6-8
FSU 6-6

There are only 7 teams in the top 5 with 8 or more top 50 RPI wins!!!! That means OSU has more top 50 RPI wins than 42 of the teams in the top 50 RPI!!!!

And somehow (using a poor statisticians statistics) OSU doesn't belong in the NCAA Tournament?

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Boynton showed me a lot by the way he handled Kendall Smith. Yes, Smith wasn't a freshman...but he was a starter and a former ESPN 100 recruit. And he got BENCHED. For Averette! Talk about a sting and humbling experience. But after accepting coaching,
There were people riding Boynton early in the season for who he was and wasn't starting. I think he knew what he needed to do to pull this team together to play to their potential. Based on what we've seen the last couple of weeks OSU is playing about as well as anyone in the country right now. He deserves credit.

Mar 8, 2010

Young would probably be hanging out at the local mall right now with Dillard, had he come to OSU.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
OSU was +13 with Smith on the floor and -7 with Averrette on the floor. Everyone on here has been saying it, but a +13 point differential with Smith on the floor is outstanding. Definitely need Averrette to play more composed and relaxed. He is definitely a liability.

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
OSU was +13 with Smith on the floor and -7 with Averrette on the floor. Everyone on here has been saying it, but a +13 point differential with Smith on the floor is outstanding. Definitely need Averrette to play more composed and relaxed. He is definitely a liability.
I dont mean to crush the guy, cause it is evident how passionate he is and how hard he plays... but I heard them say last night that he has shot 16% from the floor the last handful of games (forget how many). Also, I've been saying this since last year, I have rarely seen a PG who dribbles as much as this kid does. It is infuriating at times.