Cowboys in the 2018 MLB Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Jake Northern this yr had a .417 Avg 19Hr 100 RBI. I think he could step in right away play 3rd and move Neustifiter to 1st.
IMO, I'd pump the brakes a bit until we see him play defense. Neustifter was a stud at third and seems to be getting better with reps.

I also won't be surprised if Funk hits better next year. He missed a lot of time in JUCO due to knee injuries.

Good news, either way, is that we should have pretty good depth at the corner spots.

Does baseball only get 11 scholarships? And we have 15 new recruits plus the fuys already on the team? I feel baseball should get at least 18-22 scholarships a year to share for a team
Yes, the equivalent of 11.7 to spread however the coach wishes. There is a strong push to move to a set number of guaranteed scholarships, even if they are partial, so that, say, Texas could not offer player X more than OSU could.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but this is yet another place where the pitching injuries have wreaked havoc. I know of at least one pretty highly ranked recruit who would have been in this signing class, but who switched his commitment when our coaches had to tell him that due to injuries, there wasn't going to be as much money available as first thought.

Last edited:

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
IMO, I'd pump the brakes a bit until we see him play defense. Neustifter was a stud at third and seems to be getting better with reps.

I also won't be surprised if Funk hits better next year. He missed a lot of time in JUCO due to knee injuries.

Yes, the equivalent of 11.7 to spread however the coach wishes. There is a strong push to move to a set number of guaranteed scholarships, even if they are partial, so that, say, Texas could not offer player X more than OSU could.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but this is yet another place where the pitching injuries have wreaked havoc. I know of at least one pretty highly ranked recruit who would have been in this signing class, but who switched his commitment when our coaches had to tell him that due to injuries, there wasn't going to be as much money available as first thought.
Interesting point on losing recruits due to shifting scholarship money around.

I completely agree on Neustifter. He did have a costly error in the 3rd on Sunday but he made some big time plays this year. And he bounced back on Sunday with a really nice play later in the game. I was very impressed with how well he played in the field this year and expect he will be even better next year.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Kroon was drafted as a 3B. Also on Twitter he’s said he couldn’t wait to be teammates again with a player on the Phillies hi-A team, so sounds like he may be gone.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Kroon was drafted as a 3B. Also on Twitter he’s said he couldn’t wait to be teammates again with a player on the Phillies hi-A team, so sounds like he may be gone.
Kroon was taken by the Phillies last year, and Josh spent many evenings on the phone with him to convince him to come to Stillwater. So now he gets a chance to go to the organization he liked, selected 12 rounds better, while still having the leverage to get a good deal.

Kroon's dad knows the reality that guys that come by for their Sr. year have no leverage and have to take what's offered to them on signing bonuses. There will be guys taken in the 7-10 rounds that sign for 10k signing bonuses because MLB teams have no problem using a player's dream to their benefit.

I'm glad we got Kroon for the season tho. Worked out well for both parties.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
+ glove
+ speed
some power
He has a lot of tools
I think his game translates to the pro game better than a lot of guys with better stats
Imo a steal at that point
+ arm, for sure.

I'm just glad he's getting a chance. When we were getting down to round 30, I started wondering if we'd see his name.

Some might not remember, but he likely would have been a top 10 round pick out of HS (was ranked #48 nationally by Perfect Game) had he been willing to sign. He turned down a lot to play at OSU.

I hate how much his career was riddled with injuries, as I'm not sure we ever saw how good he could have been. Hopefully he can stay healthy and have a long career.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
+ arm, for sure.

I'm just glad he's getting a chance. When we were getting down to round 30, I started wondering if we'd see his name.

Some might not remember, but he likely would have been a top 10 round pick out of HS (was ranked #48 nationally by Perfect Game) had he been willing to sign. He turned down a lot to play at OSU.

I hate how much his career was riddled with injuries, as I'm not sure we ever saw how good he could have been. Hopefully he can stay healthy and have a long career.
Fans tend to have selective memory