Cowboys in the 2018 MLB Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
The 2018 MLB draft begins tonight and goes through Wednesday. I would still like to see MLB move the draft to after the CWS is over, but this isn't the worst time either since it isn't literally the same day as many NCAA teams are still competing.

Below are the current or incoming Cowboys on the Baseball America top 500 list. Please add any if I missed anyone. Also, Jonathan Heasley is ranked #267 and #5 in OK but is not draft eligible. (Thanks to @Takeout Slide for pointing out that he is draft eligible - hope he stays).

#366 (#50 player in FL) Hueston Morrill - SS (Suwannee HS, Live Oak, FL)
N/R (#6 player in OK) Colin Simpson - C
N/R (#8 player in OK) Carson Teel - LHP
N/R (#9 player in OK) Tyler Polk - RHP (Duncan, OK)
N/R (#15 player in OK) Matt Kroon - 3B
N/R (#13 player in PA) Josh Spiegel - C (Penn-Trafford HS, Harrison City, PA)

It is worth noting that Jensen Elliot is draft eligible, but I have heard good buzz about him staying. Also, Jon Littell, Reza Aleaziz, and Andrew Rosa are departing seniors with some prospect of playing pro ball. I wouldn't think any of the juniors like Joe Lienhard or Christian Funk would leave, but I have been surprised before.

I'm not sure what we have coming from JC this year, any big names to keep an eye on?

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
The 2018 MLB draft begins tonight and goes through Wednesday. I would still like to see MLB move the draft to after the CWS is over, but this isn't the worst time either since it isn't literally the same day as many NCAA teams are still competing.

Below are the current or incoming Cowboys on the Baseball America top 500 list. Please add any if I missed anyone. Also, Jonathan Heasley is ranked #267 and #5 in OK but is not draft eligible.

#366 (#50 player in FL) Hueston Morrill - SS (Suwannee HS, Live Oak, FL)
N/R (#6 player in OK) Colin Simpson - C
N/R (#8 player in OK) Carson Teel - LHP
N/R (#9 player in OK) Tyler Polk - RHP (Duncan, OK)
N/R (#15 player in OK) Matt Kroon - 3B
N/R (#13 player in PA) Josh Spiegel - C (Penn-Trafford HS, Harrison City, PA)

It is worth noting that Jensen Elliot is draft eligible, but I have heard good buzz about him staying. Also, Jon Littell, Reza Aleaziz, and Andrew Rosa are departing seniors with some prospect of playing pro ball. I wouldn't think any of the juniors like Joe Lienhard or Christian Funk would leave, but I have been surprised before.

I'm not sure what we have coming from JC this year, any big names to keep an eye on?
I believe Heasley is draft eligible due to age. Is Aleaziz for sure departing? I know there was the enrollment hiccup or whatever, but he wasn't honored at senior day, FWIW.

Logan Gragg and Cross Factor are JUCO guys who are on the BA list. Jake Lyon from Weatherford College isn't on the list, but he was drafted last year and returned to JUCO.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I believe Heasley is draft eligible due to age. Is Aleaziz for sure departing? I know there was the enrollment hiccup or whatever, but he wasn't honored at senior day, FWIW.

Logan Gragg and Cross Factor are JUCO guys who are on the BA list. Jake Lyon from Weatherford College isn't on the list, but he was drafted last year and returned to JUCO.
Good point on Heasley! Any thoughts on how that will play out? I'm hoping that after his great performance yesterday he will try to come back and improve his draft stock while still having leverage next year.

Not sure on Aleaziz. I would love to have him back in Stillwater.

Thanks for the notes on Gragg, Factor, and Lyon. Guys like Kroon and JR Davis have shown how the right Juco can make a big difference.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Is Aleaziz for sure departing? I know there was the enrollment hiccup or whatever, but he wasn't honored at senior day, FWIW.
My assumption is that we cannot get him another year of eligibility (but it’s possible). Reza started at Oregon State then spent like 4 years in JUCO. We were able to get a time limit to graduate waiver this year (similar to an injured player getting a 6th year). When he started with us, we listed him as a Jr since he came from JUCO, but it’s been recently changed to a Sr. Reading the tea leaves, I assume that means he won’t get another waiver. It’s not academics or enrollment issues, it’s that you get so many years to finish your college eligibility after you start.

It changed about the same time we changed Jensen to a redshirt So. after he got his medical waiver in.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
My assumption is that we cannot get him another year of eligibility (but it’s possible). Reza started at Oregon State then spent like 4 years in JUCO. We were able to get a time limit to graduate waiver this year (similar to an injured player getting a 6th year). When he started with us, we listed him as a Jr since he came from JUCO, but it’s been recently changed to a Sr. Reading the tea leaves, I assume that means he won’t get another waiver. It’s not academics or enrollment issues, it’s that you get so many years to finish your college eligibility after you start.

It changed about the same time we changed Jensen to a redshirt So. after he got his medical waiver in.
That all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I thought I recalled Josh saying something at the Banquet about him having to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to even get enrolled, and thought I understood him to say that that had to do with his classification. Then when I didn't see him honored at senior day (or at least didn't remember that he was with Littell, Rosa, Herean and Wacker), I assumed that meant he'd be back.

Anyway, wish we could have him another year as I think he could be an effective starter with that sinking stuff.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Kyler Murray just drafted #9 overall to the Athletics. I wonder if they’ll let him play FB this fall after his minor league season is over? Or if he’ll even want to play FB?

Dec 21, 2008
Man it seems like a Florida vs the US type of draft. Seems like 75% of the draft has been down there so far. Big 12 sure has had very little success in this draft, similar to recent football drafts....

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Kyler Murray just drafted #9 overall to the Athletics. I wonder if they’ll let him play FB this fall after his minor league season is over? Or if he’ll even want to play FB?
Oakland has agreed to let him play football and report in the spring. I'm sure there's a nice insurance policy in place.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Oakland has agreed to let him play football and report in the spring. I'm sure there's a nice insurance policy in place.
I hope so, or somebody needs to evaluate that dude for some CTE. $4.5 million is more than most people in the US make in their entire life.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Murray has an insurance policy no doubt, the A's are probably protected in terms of the actual cash. The risk is that if he sustains a serious injury that, either stunts his growth say from 3yrs to 5, keeps him from reaching the potential the A's saw that made him a t10 pick or keeps him from playing at all, then the A's just flushed about $4m in pool money and they don't get that back.
Even if he doesn't sign until after the fb season assuming the A's don't need the money to finish off this season's draft class, they lose it. It's a pretty big risk for a team that has to draft and develop.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Murray has an insurance policy no doubt, the A's are probably protected in terms of the actual cash. The risk is that if he sustains a serious injury that, either stunts his growth say from 3yrs to 5, keeps him from reaching the potential the A's saw that made him a t10 pick or keeps him from playing at all, then the A's just flushed about $4m in pool money and they don't get that back.
Even if he doesn't sign until after the fb season assuming the A's don't need the money to finish off this season's draft class, they lose it. It's a pretty big risk for a team that has to draft and develop.
Besides all of that, where does he play and can he hit with a wood bat?

Don't think he has the arm to play the outfield (only grades 40), and at 5'11, he's probably limited to middle infield, most likely 2b (given the arm and stature). Problem is, he hasn't played either of those positions in college.

And obviously the wood bat is a question mark with all of these guys, but his Cape Cod numbers last summer weren't great.

I'm sure the A's think he'll flourish once he gives up football, but they must think his ceiling is really high to take that risk.