Cowboys at the Wrestling US Open

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 8, 2012
Here's sort of a synopsis of where OSU is right now with this, and honestly the World Team qualification procedures sorta confused me at first, so I hope how I explain this all makes sense for you all.

Fix, Dieringer, and Schafer are all in the Senior level finals. Fix and Schafer have World Medalists at their weights that have already accepted their bids to the "Final X", which is a 3 match series to determine who represents the US on the World team. With that if Fix/Schafer win here they get put in the final of the World Team trials, which is a best of 3 series against the winner of the World Team trials tournament. So basically there is a tournament and the winner of that will wrestle the winner of the US open in a best of three series to see who moves on to the Final X. If Schafer/Fix win that then they'll wrestle in the "Final X" against Thomas Gilman for Fix and Kyle Snyder for Schafer.

Dieringer on the other hand doesn't have anyone locked in to the Final X at this weight, so if he beats Dake tonight he's automatically into the Final X and just has to wrestle that 3 match series to make the World Team.

If any of the three of them lose they've all qualified for the World team trials tournament, so all could still come back to make the World team, but obviously are in a much better position if they win tonight. Jon Morrison and Eddie Klimara are wrestling too, but Jon did get beat by Seth Gross. Jon has already qualified for the trials and Eddie needs to win a few more to qualify.

For the Junior level guys they've wrestled pretty well so far with the exception of Travis Wittlake being upset early. Witllake was the 1 seed and was beat last round, but has already qualified for the trials, so still has a chance to make the World Team. Christian Bahl was eliminated already which was also one not so good note.

Kaden Gfeller and Daniel Kerkvliet are both in the semifinals. Kerkvliet is just a HS junior and still eligible to wrestle Cadets, but he's been murdering these junior guys. Both have Tech'd their way to the semifinals. There is no "Final X" element with the Juniors, so if these guys win they're automatically in the best of 3 finals at the World Team trials and obviously in the drivers seat to win.

Austin Harris and Bear Hughes have really impressed me so far. Both won Greco, they need to win two more to qualify for the trials. Really big for them to do that. That one extra month of work this summer is really big for helping them develop.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Here's sort of a synopsis of where OSU is right now with this, and honestly the World Team qualification procedures sorta confused me at first, so I hope how I explain this all makes sense for you all.

Fix, Dieringer, and Schafer are all in the Senior level finals. Fix and Schafer have World Medalists at their weights that have already accepted their bids to the "Final X", which is a 3 match series to determine who represents the US on the World team. With that if Fix/Schafer win here they get put in the final of the World Team trials, which is a best of 3 series against the winner of the World Team trials tournament. So basically there is a tournament and the winner of that will wrestle the winner of the US open in a best of three series to see who moves on to the Final X. If Schafer/Fix win that then they'll wrestle in the "Final X" against Thomas Gilman for Fix and Kyle Snyder for Schafer.

Dieringer on the other hand doesn't have anyone locked in to the Final X at this weight, so if he beats Dake tonight he's automatically into the Final X and just has to wrestle that 3 match series to make the World Team.

If any of the three of them lose they've all qualified for the World team trials tournament, so all could still come back to make the World team, but obviously are in a much better position if they win tonight. Jon Morrison and Eddie Klimara are wrestling too, but Jon did get beat by Seth Gross. Jon has already qualified for the trials and Eddie needs to win a few more to qualify.

For the Junior level guys they've wrestled pretty well so far with the exception of Travis Wittlake being upset early. Witllake was the 1 seed and was beat last round, but has already qualified for the trials, so still has a chance to make the World Team. Christian Bahl was eliminated already which was also one not so good note.

Kaden Gfeller and Daniel Kerkvliet are both in the semifinals. Kerkvliet is just a HS junior and still eligible to wrestle Cadets, but he's been murdering these junior guys. Both have Tech'd their way to the semifinals. There is no "Final X" element with the Juniors, so if these guys win they're automatically in the best of 3 finals at the World Team trials and obviously in the drivers seat to win.

Austin Harris and Bear Hughes have really impressed me so far. Both won Greco, they need to win two more to qualify for the trials. Really big for them to do that. That one extra month of work this summer is really big for helping them develop.
I believe Fix has already qualified for the junior world team so he bumped up to senior. Will be a fun match with Ramos.