Cowboys at DBU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
For all the negatives, there is still a lot of baseball to be played. There were a lot of frustrating moments in 2016 as well.

We are clearly not a dominant team, but I have to hold out hope we can heat up at some point this year.
The fact that there is still a lot of baseball left is the reason I am still optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Agreed on the mentally tough part. That really surprised me, but this team has struggled to execute in big moments both at the plate and in the field.
I said this a couple of weeks ago and still believe it. Josh needs to be less of a cheerleader and more of a coach. That chip on the shoulder starts at the top and is reflected by the players.
I agree 100%. Not a fan of giving the sugar tit to the players. Sometimes the bench is the best motivator.

Nov 14, 2010
When your veterans aren't coming through it becomes a real scramble to figure out a way to stay consistent offensively.

Boone's average looks better than he has been because all of his hits came in a short flurry.

On the either side of that flurry he has not been good.

Tank has had chance after chance to win games for this team and hasn't got it going yet

Funk...Well... His last at bat is a perfect example of why he struggles. He took 2 pitches right down the middle, then was forced to swing at a pitchers pitch. In doing so he only gave himself one swing.

If Tank and Boone can't figure out a way to be more consistent, this team is going follow along and be up and down.

Our pitching approach wears me out.

Every one of our pitchers are forced to pitch the exact same way.

Nibble, nibble, nibble pitch backwards.

Too much tinkering

As of right now...
For the 100th year in a row, we don't even know who our #2 or #3 starters are headed into conference play.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
When your veterans aren't coming through it becomes a real scramble to figure out a way to stay consistent offensively.

Boone's average looks better than he has been because all of his hits came in a short flurry.

On the either side of that flurry he has not been good.

Tank has had chance after chance to win games for this team and hasn't got it going yet

Funk...Well... His last at bat is a perfect example of why he struggles. He took 2 pitches right down the middle, then was forced to swing at a pitchers pitch. In doing so he only gave himself one swing.

If Tank and Boone can't figure out a way to be more consistent, this team is going follow along and be up and down.

Our pitching approach wears me out.

Every one of our pitchers are forced to pitch the exact same way.

Nibble, nibble, nibble pitch backwards.

Too much tinkering

As of right now...
For the 100th year in a row, we don't even know who our #2 or #3 starters are headed into conference play.
Spot on stuff here.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
My son and I went tonight. We sat right next to the OS dugout and could here every conversation JH had with the hitters. I wish I had $1 for every time he told them “you’ve gotta see it up”. Did no good. Most of the guys Cade, Boone, Tank swinging at balls in the dirt. Funk is absolutely lost at the plate. Takes pitches down the middle and then is forced to have to protect and he just chases anything close for strike 3.
You look at the stats at the end of the game and we had 10-12 hits but gave away so many opportunities by not getting the hits when we needed them. I’d like to say time to get some other guys some ABs but conference starts this weekend and he’s kinda forced into going with these as his guys!

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I said this a couple of weeks ago and still believe it. Josh needs to be less of a cheerleader and more of a coach. That chip on the shoulder starts at the top and is reflected by the players.
This team was lost at a plate and it's not the one they're struggling with now. It was symptomatic to why they struggle to find an identity now. You need strong dugout leadership and the loudest voice has to come from the players, more specifically, position players at the plate. It's tough for a pitcher to lead position players and vice versa, they're just simply in different camps. You need strong, stand up leadership in all departments to be a great organization. Opportunity for allowing leadership to step up and develope will only come with mature reflection. You can't help but have favorites but you can't show it, it breeds contempt. To be a great leader you often have to stay in the shadows and patiently allow your best, most important, secondary leaders to emerge and not drown them out. They're imperative to your's and your organization's success. Until then, you'll struggle to have successful consistency.

Last edited:

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Josh in the postgame “too many guys are pressing, chasing the zone....I’m frustrated that I haven’t been able to help them get comfortable more by this point.”
Maybe he should quit trying to "help them get more comfortable" and start expecting excellence from them. If they aren't hitting, sit them down and give someone else a shot. Often that will light a fire under good players, if they wilt because they lost their spot, you don't want them out there anyway.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Maybe he should quit trying to "help them get more comfortable" and start expecting excellence from them. If they aren't hitting, sit them down and give someone else a shot. Often that will light a fire under good players, if they wilt because they lost their spot, you don't want them out there anyway.
I get it, performance over preference is the only way it will work. Unfortunately conference starts this weekend and it's late to make those adjustments or send messages. That should've occurred 4 weeks ago. You have to stop basing things on what you think they're capable of and make it on what they're actually doing now. Unfortunately, it's a what have you done for me lately business.

Nov 14, 2010
Baseball is a game of failure.

Who would you suggest needs to sit?

What Josh is experiencing is rampant throughout baseball.

Despite over whelming evidence to it's continued success, hitters of this generation don't want to hit hard ground balls and line drives.

They've been sold a bill of goods that hitting fly balls gives them the best statistical advantage in hitting.

It's absolutely not true but kids nowadays believe it and they build their swings to lift the ball into the air.

Josh knows better and is one of the few instructors left that simply won't give into the nonsense because that's what it is.

In the Major Leagues, when they report averages on fly balls hit they DON'T include pop ups.

If you include pop ups and exclude homeruns, hitters hit less than .200 on fly balls hit.

Well....
Equate that to College where the homerun is much much less frequent and you get lazy fly ball after lazy fly ball, then swing and miss after swing and miss trying to hit fly balls.

On the contrary, in the Major Leagues, hitters that hit hard ground balls and line drives below 30 degrees hit over .500 on those hits.

We have big kids that want to hit like big leaguers but they don't understand the actual metrics of launch angle and exit Velocity and what actually creates success.

The better the player has been, the harder they are going to be to convince because they've had so much success doing things their way.

They've been able to over power their opponents and have never had to make the adjustments they are forced to make at the College level.

So...
As a result, there is a continued cycle

Our hitters struggle to the point where they have to buy in to Josh's instruction to get back on track.

Let's use Boone as an example

Every year he starts out as a dead pull hitter and struggles mightily.

Then he centers his approach, starts letting the ball get deeper and starts hitting the ball up the middle and to the opposite field and gets hot.

Then... He hits a couple homeruns.... And... then... He starts trying to pull the ball again and lift the ball and he starts struggling again.

Then...
After they've raised their average to a point where they feel comfortable expanding their horizons, they want to add power and try to hit fly balls again.

They do that until their average drops down again, then the cycle starts over again.

Tank is the only hitter we have that just refuses to make an adjustment on the plane of his swing, and hit line drives instead of fly balls.

But...
You can't take him out because he can get hot at any time, and when he gets hot he can carry a team.

Same with Boone

Those 2 are the key.

We will go as they go

If they hit to their potential we will be very good.

If they continue to hit like they have so far this season we will continue to be inconsistent.

It's interesting that there is more information on the science behind the mechanics of a successful swing nowadays but yet instructors and hitters understand hitting less than they ever have

And.... To make it worse, they've read about metrics and think they understand them when they don't which makes it really difficult to get them to buy into certain adjustments they have to make the higher levels they reach.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Right now you could and should either move Simpson to 7 or 8 but most likely sit him and give Garcia a chance or Taylor. They can't do worse.

Just for grins...

Morrill 4
Navigato 5
McCusker 7
Boone 8
Carter 2
Garcia DH (3)
Cabbiness 9
Funk 3 (Taylor DH)
Hewitt 6

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2004
Right now you could and should either move Simpson to 7 or 8 but most likely sit him and give Garcia a chance or Taylor. They can't do worse.

Just for grins...

Morrill 4
Navigato 5
McCusker 7
Boone 8
Carter 2
Garcia DH (3)
Cabbiness 9
Funk 3 (Taylor DH)
Hewitt 6
Simpson to 7 and Funk to 8

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Baseball is a game of failure.

Who would you suggest needs to sit?

What Josh is experiencing is rampant throughout baseball.

Despite over whelming evidence to it's continued success, hitters of this generation don't want to hit hard ground balls and line drives.

They've been sold a bill of goods that hitting fly balls gives them the best statistical advantage in hitting.

It's absolutely not true but kids nowadays believe it and they build their swings to lift the ball into the air.

Josh knows better and is one of the few instructors left that simply won't give into the nonsense because that's what it is.

In the Major Leagues, when they report averages on fly balls hit they DON'T include pop ups.

If you include pop ups and exclude homeruns, hitters hit less than .200 on fly balls hit.

Well....
Equate that to College where the homerun is much much less frequent and you get lazy fly ball after lazy fly ball, then swing and miss after swing and miss trying to hit fly balls.

On the contrary, in the Major Leagues, hitters that hit hard ground balls and line drives below 30 degrees hit over .500 on those hits.

We have big kids that want to hit like big leaguers but they don't understand the actual metrics of launch angle and exit Velocity and what actually creates success.

The better the player has been, the harder they are going to be to convince because they've had so much success doing things their way.

They've been able to over power their opponents and have never had to make the adjustments they are forced to make at the College level.

So...
As a result, there is a continued cycle

Our hitters struggle to the point where they have to buy in to Josh's instruction to get back on track.

Let's use Boone as an example

Every year he starts out as a dead pull hitter and struggles mightily.

Then he centers his approach, starts letting the ball get deeper and starts hitting the ball up the middle and to the opposite field and gets hot.

Then... He hits a couple homeruns.... And... then... He starts trying to pull the ball again and lift the ball and he starts struggling again.

Then...
After they've raised their average to a point where they feel comfortable expanding their horizons, they want to add power and try to hit fly balls again.

They do that until their average drops down again, then the cycle starts over again.

Tank is the only hitter we have that just refuses to make an adjustment on the plane of his swing, and hit line drives instead of fly balls.

But...
You can't take him out because he can get hot at any time, and when he gets hot he can carry a team.

Same with Boone

Those 2 are the key.

We will go as they go

If they hit to their potential we will be very good.

If they continue to hit like they have so far this season we will continue to be inconsistent.

It's interesting that there is more information on the science behind the mechanics of a successful swing nowadays but yet instructors and hitters understand hitting less than they ever have

And.... To make it worse, they've read about metrics and think they understand them when they don't which makes it really difficult to get them to buy into certain adjustments they have to make the higher levels they reach.
I get that it is a systemic issue, but there are teams that consistently hitting a hell of lot better than us. If Josh is as good of a teacher as you say, either he is not getting through to the guys or we just have bad players, it has to be one or the other.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

Just for grins...

Morrill 4
Navigato 5
McCusker 7
Boone 8
Carter 2
Garcia DH (3)
Cabbiness 9
Funk 3 (Taylor DH)
Hewitt 6
Simpson's swing just straight up pisses me off when he is not making contact. Watching him drop to a knee trying to golf a ball in the dirt is just painful.

Feb 4, 2004
Who you taking out for Simpson? You have to give Garcia a chance right now. He's making better and more consistent contact.
I have no problem moving Garcia into the lineup. If he can play 1st at all, he could go for either of the two I mentioned. Neither of them are doing anything and both could easily be sitting. The pine can be a great motivator. I do think Simpson has a greater chance of an upside. Funk has done nothing for 2 years.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I have no problem moving Garcia into the lineup. If he can play 1st at all, he could go for either of the two I mentioned. Neither of them are doing anything and both could easily be sitting.
Unfortunately neither is Simpson. Funk's glove is more important than Simpson's bat at this time and Garcia needs a chance to see some at bats as the DH.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Unfortunately neither is Simpson. Funk's glove is more important than Simpson's bat at this time and Garcia needs a chance to see some at bats as the DH.
That's a good point. In 2016 we played really clean defense behind a good staff, this year not so much. I think this pitching staff has the talent to carry this team, but the defense isn't particularly good. Hewitt has had a number of issues this year, and Tank has really struggled in the field.

At some point I would rather trade hitting potential for solid defense, as that seems to be our best bet for making a run this year.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
All of us know that Josh is not going to sit Simpson. He so appreciates loyalty and he wants to reward him for coming back. (He didn’t get drafted and both Josh and Collin say he had offers to sign so I guess we have to take their word for it). Remember him riding Dustin Williams the entire way through his Senior season when he was so lost at the plate? I agree it’s frustrating but we just have to hope and pray he figures it out. He’s gonna get plenty of in game reps to figure it out.