Cowboy Basketball: vs UMKC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Well

This just shows my eyes are going too
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Good win. The boys played better this outing. Interested to see how the young players do for a road game. Charleston is no slouch.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Im guessing that Dziagwa is going to get less and less minutes as the year goes on. Boone is a more consistent shooter and a better defender.
I like how after two games you say Keylan is a better shooter. Despite all his faults, Dziagwa is one of the more accurate 3 point shooters in OSU history. I agree Dziagwa's minutes will likely decrease this year, but it won't be because he isn't a consistent shooter.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Im guessing that Dziagwa is going to get less and less minutes as the year goes on. Boone is a more consistent shooter and a better defender.
I like how after two games you say Keylan is a better shooter. Despite all his faults, Dziagwa is one of the more accurate 3 point shooters in OSU history. I agree Dziagwa's minutes will likely decrease this year, but it won't be because he isn't a consistent shooter.
It will be because of his defensive shortcomings. He has to be hot to make up for the lack thereof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
It will be because of his defensive shortcomings. He has to be hot to make up for the lack thereof

No, his minutes will decrease because we have more than 6 players this year, and he won't have to play the entire game. Same with Waters, Likelele, McGriff, and Anae. Despite the general fanbase dislike of Dizzy, his presence on the court affects the defense played by the other team.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
No, his minutes will decrease because we have more than 6 players this year, and he won't have to play the entire game. Same with Waters, Likelele, McGriff, and Anae. Despite the general fanbase dislike of Dizzy, his presence on the court affects the defense played by the other team.
Then look at it this way, his minutes will decrease in a higher percentage than the other starters this year, maybe to the point where he doesn’t start.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Then look at it this way, his minutes will decrease in a higher percentage than the other starters this year, maybe to the point where he doesn’t start.
No way. There is absolutely no way Coach Boynton sits Dziagwa and doesn't let him start. That would be a slap in the face to a kid who has worked his butt off for this team, who has bled for this team, and who is playing his last year for this team. He might shave his minutes, and possibly even give more playing time to a younger, more talented player, but the honor of starting sticks with his senior leader.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
No way. There is absolutely no way Coach Boynton sits Dziagwa and doesn't let him start. That would be a slap in the face to a kid who has worked his butt off for this team, who has bled for this team, and who is playing his last year for this team. He might shave his minutes, and possibly even give more playing time to a younger, more talented player, but the honor of starting sticks with his senior leader.
I said maybe. I think it may be situational.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Nobody said sits.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Nobody said sits.

If he's not starting, then he's on the bench. (figuratively "sitting") I didn't mean for the entire game. My point, is that he will remain as a starter, regardless of the play of the freshman behind him. That's an honor he's earned and will keep.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Nobody said sits.

If he's not starting, then he's on the bench. (figuratively "sitting") I didn't mean for the entire game. My point, is that he will remain as a starter, regardless of the play of the freshman behind him. That's an honor he's earned and will keep.
You have to earn it every day. Especially in basketball. Past means nothing. Crunch time minutes will tell the story.

Sep 23, 2010
Boynton has to do what will help us win the most games, even if it hurts some feelings. Our record was not good last year with this starting line up. I am ready to insert a better athlete in that spot. Waters and Dizzy are too much alike, in that their greatest asset is catch and shoot. Waters is better so he should definitely start. I like Keylan because he can shoot the 3, defend and give us more offensive rebounds. Then pair Anderson and Dizzy off the bench who can compliment each other. If Dizzy pouts about that, then Harris might take those minutes

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
You have to earn it every day. Especially in basketball. Past means nothing. Crunch time minutes will tell the story.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it wouldn't be best for the team, and I definitely agree with you that crunch time minutes will tell the story. I think Coach Boynton will play who he feels gives the team the best chance to win, the majority of the minutes. I just feel that as long as Dziagwa keeps working hard and being a team leader, that he's going to continue to start, despite how many minutes he ends up with. You guys can disagree with me all you want. We will see in the end.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
you people are making way to much over who does and doesn't start. just b/c someone is a "starter" doesn't mean their minutes are immediately more than someone coming off the bench............

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
you people are making way to much over who does and doesn't start. just b/c someone is a "starter" doesn't mean their minutes are immediately more than someone coming off the bench............
It matters to the players

Sep 23, 2010
It does establish your rotation. You are trying to maximize the amount of time you have your best line ups in the game. It's not as easy to have your best 5 guys out there for extended periods of times when you play 8-9 people, nevertheless 11.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
When I was a sophomore, I came off the bench. A senior captain started in my position. Over the course of the year, I earned more and more minutes. By the end of the year, I was playing the majority of the minutes and was in the game at the end. I never started that year.

You can say that starting is completely fluid, and a game-to-game process, but not every coach feels that way. Tone, stability, and continuity are all also factors, among others.