Cowboy Basketball: vs ORU Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
With last years recruiting class, and of course landing Cade, Boynton has shown to be an effective recruiter. What he has not shown is how effective of a game manager he is or if he can develop players. We're going on year 3 right now, I hope to see some improvement in those areas. He has done a great job selling the program, though - to recruits and fans a like.

I think last night showed we still a ways to go.
He has developed players and has managed games fairly well in the past couple of years. Just look at Mitchell Solomon.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

We didnt go to the tournament his first year, we got hosed in favor of an ou team that quit against us in the big 12 tournament and had given up on being anything more than the trae young show. They got the bid and were given a ridiculously generous draw, which they threw away by losing to Rhode Island which was fair because they had no business in the tournament anyway
I know... I said "should have made the tournament".

Aug 7, 2006
Even though the wins weren't there last year, I think there was enough to show we have a pretty good coach with Boynton. Yeah, he's still learning, but there were only a couple of games last year we weren't in until the end and I think it was pretty obvious the guys ran out of gas in a lot of those, which is going to happen when you're playing 6 players in a tough league like the Big 12. Add some depth and it's not hard to see that the team could be pretty good this year. The seniors are going to have to step up though, they can't keep playing like this in conference play.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
Even though the wins weren't there last year, I think there was enough to show we have a pretty good coach with Boynton. Yeah, he's still learning, but there were only a couple of games last year we weren't in until the end and I think it was pretty obvious the guys ran out of gas in a lot of those, which is going to happen when you're playing 6 players in a tough league like the Big 12. Add some depth and it's not hard to see that the team could be pretty good this year. The seniors are going to have to step up though, they can't keep playing like this in conference play.
Agreed - wasn't meant as a shot at Boynton or that I'm unhappy with what he's done. Just that there is still more to be proven and worked on in my opinion.

Also agree that the seniors will need to step up to compete in conference play.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
With last years recruiting class, and of course landing Cade, Boynton has shown to be an effective recruiter. What he has not shown is how effective of a game manager he is or if he can develop players. We're going on year 3 right now, I hope to see some improvement in those areas. He has done a great job selling the program, though - to recruits and fans a like.

I think last night showed we still a ways to go.
it's 1 game.......... and last year was a cluster F w/ only 6 players contributing. cool your jets, man :facepalm::runaway:

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Agreed - wasn't meant as a shot at Boynton or that I'm unhappy with what he's done. Just that there is still more to be proven and worked on in my opinion.

Completely agree. The bar was, understandably, very low for him thus far. Not a knock, just reality.

Time to make the tourney, at least, this season.

Dec 17, 2011
If you look at our schedule this year vs the first year....we are playing better mid major teams it looks like with ORU and CofCha. UMKC I do not know much about this year. If we can get through UMKC, our first test will be CofCha a 24 win team from last year.

Aug 7, 2006

Right, I think everybody understands that there's more to be proven and worked on. I'm just saying nothing the last two seasons suggests it's not going to be.

Oct 30, 2007
This team was picked 6th in the Big 12, and the national expectation is that we'll make it back to the NCAA tournament this season. That isn't an unrealistic expectation given the fact that we have 5 returning starters & 4 seniors on the roster.

The game yesterday was kind of ugly, but you have to remember that we were playing 5 true freshman. Our bench shot 5-23, roughly 22%. We should look better as our young guys get up to speed, and the rotation get narrowed down.

We've got 2 more tune-up games before playing Yale. They'll beat us if we aren't ready to play.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
This team was picked 6th in the Big 12, and the national expectation is that we'll make it back to the NCAA tournament this season. That isn't an unrealistic expectation given the fact that we have 5 returning starters & 4 seniors on the roster.

The game yesterday was kind of ugly, but you have to remember that we were playing 5 true freshman. Our bench shot 5-23, roughly 22%. We should look better as our young guys get up to speed, and the rotation get narrowed down.

We've got 2 more tune-up games before playing Yale. They'll beat us if we aren't ready to play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect Charleston to beat us down if we aren't playing better basketball by then.

Yeah, and we also should not expect McGriff to go 0-6(!) every night.

I grew up in Connecticut watching Calhoun's UConn teams. They typically started the season poor offensively. It was Calhoun's philosophy. Offense comes in College Hoops. Those shots will start to fall as they get more comfortable and into their rhythm.

Sep 23, 2010
I think we will play better on offense, especially when Boynton sures up his rotation a bit to give some guys a bit more confidence and get in the flow of the game. But it's tricky because there isn't much separation from abilities from all the players.