Cowboy Basketball: vs ORU Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Agreed as above, similar start to the season as last year performance wise. But came away with the W.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2011
I dont think I've ever seen so many 1 handed shots in my life than from ORU. MB has got to play Ice though more. When he is on, he definitely takes control and is so so smart. Anderson will develop but cant be placed into tight games right now. Mcgriff, where were you bud? Our core guys need to step it up more, which will come but we need to play around our seniors.

Dec 6, 2013
So I couldn't watch the game.

Someone tell me about this "new" team that we were supposed to wait till next year for. Looks like the starting 5 are all returning players. I'd thought I heard we had some MCD All Americans or 4/5 star recruits coming in finally? Are there any 1 and done talents that made this a top recruiting class?

What's the story on Anderson? ESPN lists his position as "athlete". And I see 2 Boone's in the box, but only 1 scored.

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
That was a good win. ORU is pretty good, a couple of big guys inside and some solid guards, they never gave up. OSU was inconsistent but the depth and athleticism was obvious. We went ice cold but dug in and made plays down the stretch to win. This will be a fun team to watch this year.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Man that was ugly. Make shots and take care of the ball and we win big. Turn it over like that and it'll be tough to beat anyone. We're a good shooting team so I don't think that's a concern going forward. The upperclassmen will have to carry us for awhile as the other guys adjust to college play but i think we've got some nice players.

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
So I couldn't watch the game.

Someone tell me about this "new" team that we were supposed to wait till next year for. Looks like the starting 5 are all returning players. I'd thought I heard we had some MCD All Americans or 4/5 star recruits coming in finally? Are there any 1 and done talents that made this a top recruiting class?

What's the story on Anderson? ESPN lists his position as "athlete". And I see 2 Boone's in the box, but only 1 scored.
Same starting 5 as last year, a couple four star guards, a couple 3 star guards and forward. And a nice player from the Netherlands. I dont think any McD AA this year and no one and dones in this group.

Anderson is an athletic guard I think he's gonna be good. The guard Boone is the one that hit a fee 3s tonight. The forward is gonna have to put on some more weight but they both can play.

Dec 6, 2013
Same starting 5 as last year, a couple four star guards, a couple 3 star guards and forward. And a nice player from the Netherlands. I dont think any McD AA this year and no one and dones in this group.

Anderson is an athletic guard I think he's gonna be good. The guard Boone is the one that hit a fee 3s tonight. The forward is gonna have to put on some more weight but they both can play.
Why aren't Boone or Anderson starting? Do you think they will be by Christmas, or is it a wait till next year thing for them?

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Why aren't Boone or Anderson starting? Do you think they will be by Christmas, or is it a wait till next year thing for them?
Well, let's start with Anderson. He's playing backup to the guy who won the AAU Under 19 Gold medal last summer in the international games. Ice is good. Anderson is a true freshman who has now played ONE (1) game in college.

Boone is playing the same basic position as Waters. You aren't going to see Lindy coming off the bench.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. That was a nerve wracking game to listen to, but I'll take the W. The only bright spot about the turnovers is that most of them weren't from our starting point guard. Need to work on passing, seems like I say that every year.

There were more than a few minutes where we had 4 true freshmen on the floor, but the scary thing is that oru made their comeback against the starters. I'm not going to stress out about, lots of new pieces, let HCMB figure out how to put them together....let's see how they look come conference season

Sep 23, 2010
I agree with Anderson out there. We need to develop him more. Fran Fraschilla tweeted what I have been thinking has been our issue ever since Evans left. What happens when the play doesn't work? Do you have a guy that can make something out of nothing? Anderson is our only guy that can create a shot for himself or someone else with his ability to get by his defender. Ice is definitely one of our 5 best guys, so they would have to play together. But Ice isn't super quick or fast, he's a power guard. Diazagwa and Waters aren't breaking their guys down off the bounce. Watson had the type of athleticism needed to make a play in our league, but we have no clue what's going to happen with his situation.

I am worried about our all out denial still. It's why we give up so many easy buckets. We either are so spread, a simple high ball screen works because we are hugged up on wings. Or, we have so far to go in order to help stop the drive, it creates an easy kick out for an open 3. Way too many open 3's have been given up in the exhibition game and this one. And way too many straight line drives to the rim given up. But we don't have the personnel to get out there and pressure. ORU had quick little guards so we played right into their hands by trying to play the way we did. We were just fortunate that Yor and Kalib are such good rim protectors. But Big 12 guards will finish or force fouls more often than ORU guards.

We are trying new things on offensive, and our execution was poor. I would almost like to see MB sprinkle in some of the old spread just to get people moving and ball moving.

I like both Boone twins. Keylan has been a pleasant surprise. Kalib is the guy with pro potential before it's all over. He will not get the benefit Yor got of playing through all the mistakes a year ago. I like Anderson as well. It was interesting he went with Harris at the end when he wanted Yor out during FT time or Diazagwa out for defense. Harris must have the best understanding right now. He is also a guy that make shots from reports.

MB is going have tough task and pick who to play. Right now, he trusts last year's starting 5. But we knew last year that group is not a winning team in the big 12. Got to develop some of the talented players that can make plays

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
With last years recruiting class, and of course landing Cade, Boynton has shown to be an effective recruiter. What he has not shown is how effective of a game manager he is or if he can develop players. We're going on year 3 right now, I hope to see some improvement in those areas. He has done a great job selling the program, though - to recruits and fans a like.

I think last night showed we still a ways to go.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats on the win. Recap from Frank Bonner II...

The Cowboys have been in a close season opener for two consecutive years. OSU lost 66-64 to Charlotte last year, losing its opener for the first time since the 1994-95 season.

“We were in those situations all last year,” Likekele said. “Last year we lost a lot of games due to one or two plays, and the five guys that were in at the end were the five guys that were in at the end of the games last year. We’re just trying to find different ways to make those changes that actually gets us a result of winning instead of just losing.”

OSU fans chanted “We want Bryce” at multiple points throughout the game for Booker T. Washington standout, Bryce Thompson, who was at Gallagher-Iba Arena to watch the game. This came one day after the No. 2-ranked high school recruit in the country, Cade Cunningham, verbally committed to OSU.
Our photographer took one of Bryce at GIA last night...

5dc3a4af72211.image.jpg

More game photos here.

With last years recruiting class, and of course landing Cade, Boynton has shown to be an effective recruiter. What he has not shown is how effective of a game manager he is or if he can develop players. We're going on year 3 right now, I hope to see some improvement in those areas. He has done a great job selling the program, though - to recruits and fans a like.

I think last night showed we still a ways to go.
Yeah - I really disagree with this. People forget his first season where he should have made the tournament and won six games against top 25 opponents (four of which against top 10 opponents) down the stretch that year. We went 21-15 with a team that had eight underclassmen and three experienced seniors (sound familiar?).

You dont have to look much further than Yor and Ice to see his ability to develop talent. Neither of those guys was highly regarded from a recruiting-star standpoint (if I remember correctly, Ice was the higher rated of the two with 3-stars).

Last year absolutely should not count against MB's ability to teach, scheme, or develop. They had a total of six scholarship players, i believe. Nobody would have been successful in that system.

Boynton is bringing in guys who have enormous skill sets and that he can develop over the years. Add Cade to that mix and you'll see how well he can manage a game...

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Yeah - I really disagree with this. People forget his first season where he should have made the tournament and won six games against top 25 opponents (four of which against top 10 opponents) down the stretch that year. We went 21-15 with a team that had eight underclassmen and three experienced seniors (sound familiar?).
We didnt go to the tournament his first year, we got hosed in favor of an ou team that quit against us in the big 12 tournament and had given up on being anything more than the trae young show. They got the bid and were given a ridiculously generous draw, which they threw away by losing to Rhode Island which was fair because they had no business in the tournament anyway

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater

You dont have to look much further than Yor and Ice to see his ability to develop talent. Neither of those guys was highly regarded from a recruiting-star standpoint (if I remember correctly, Ice was the higher rated of the two with 3-stars).

Last year absolutely should not count against MB's ability to teach, scheme, or develop. They had a total of six scholarship players, i believe. Nobody would have been successful in that system.

Boynton is bringing in guys who have enormous skill sets and that he can develop over the years. Add Cade to that mix and you'll see how well he can manage a game...
The first year obviously weren't "his guys". And while last year was difficult circumstances, you can't just completely disregard it either. Last night just showed me we still have a lot to improve upon. I have faith in Boynton and am happy he is our coach. But in terms of coaching, he is still very green, especially compared to the rest of the B12 coaches.

EDIT: I am not afraid to be wrong in my current assessment, so feel free to come call me out if we make the tournament this year. I'm sure it's partially a knee jerk response based on our play last night, which I was not happy with. But the Big 12 is no joke when it comes to experienced coaches and I think it is something to keep an eye on.

Last edited: