Cowboy Basketball Expectations, Going Forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Which of the following would be the minimum to making you happy with the basketball program?

• A Final Four appearance within the next 5 seasons or I'm not satisfied

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A regular season Big XII Title within the next 5 seasons

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A Big XII Tournament Title within the next 5 seasons

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • A couple of Sweet 16 appearances and I'm all aboard the Boynton train!

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I'd be happy just making the NCAA Tournament 4 out of the next 5 seasons, everything else is gravy

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HolyGuacamole

Guacamole Eater
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Just to put things in perspective, in the roughly 50 years since Mr. Iba retired, we've won a regular season conference championship 2 times and been to 6 Sweet 16's. So to me, any argument of "must make a Final 4" or "win a conference championship" or "muliple Sweet 16's" are completely unfair to be a "minimum" I'd be happy with.

I've always said that I'd be satisfied with consistently competing, and having at least 1 good NCAA tournament run every 4 or 5 years. That's basically what Eddie did, and we all consider him a legend and we named the court after him.

Dec 21, 2008
Showing fight, playing defense and laying out for loose (aha I caught myself! Lol) basketballs.

Big Mitch personified what OSU basketball is. The way he fought, learned, developed and played selflessly! We were one stud shooter from a few more wins and a tourney run. Had pieces just not the final piece.

People are patient and know the process we are building. Hard to put a numerical value on success. I just enjoy competing, battling and pulling a few upsets. Just don’t like watching us go on the road and get 15 fouls in the first 5mins and lose by 20 and have 12min scoreless spurts. Battling will bring fans! We are hungry for basketball success! We just need to embrace what we have!!!

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
I don't think saying final four in 5 years or "I'm not satisfied" is out of the question. I think HCMB would check that box.

I agree with the above post about playing Cowboy basketball but to me that is license to operate around here. If we aren't playing hard nosed scrappy defensive bball in GIA, we need a change. HCMB can produce seasons that end with less than a final four and I will still be happy as long as we have a tough team that I can be proud of. If he gives us that, I will still support him but I won't be satisfied.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I think the way I see it is this - make the NCAA Tournament and keep making it. I feel like with the conference we play in, the facilities we have, the fan support we will have if we win a decent amount of games each year - it's not too much to ask to be in the Big Dance pretty much every year, barring those rare seasons where injuries kill you (Eddie had 1 or 2 of those - remember Mayes and McQuarters having to play?). If you keep making the Tournament, runs will follow. It's all about playing your best basketball at the right time, and I'll be interested to see if Boynton can squeeze that out of his teams consistently. I do really like the defense first attitude - even though I don't feel like we always played fundamentally sound defense last season. Get the defense set throughout the 1st couple of months, and bring the offense along slowly to peak in March.

Aug 7, 2006
Being competitive in every game and not getting frustrated watching games like I did when Travis was the coach. I think coach Boynton is building a solid foundation for the program going forward with the guys he's recruited so far. Maybe they aren't the highest rated recruits we've ever had, but they're going to give us some length and athleticism that will pay dividends immediately, IMO. The Boone twins are very good and are going to be key pieces for the program in the future. I think once coach shows what this program can be(playing in the Rowdiest Arena in the country, being a top 25 team annually, winning games in March, etc...) he'll be able to add the 5-star guys everybody wants to a solid core of guys who can show them how to work and win in the Big 12. Which... in turn should check all of the boxes up there.

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
I agree with making the tournament every year, with a chance to make a deep run. But also, sweeping OU every year.

Oct 29, 2016
US
In keeping in theme with some of the more audacious expectations proclaimed, if we don't best the god damned Thunder, fire Travis Ford!

I lament in insanity.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I agree with making the tournament every year, with a chance to make a deep run. But also, sweeping OU every year.

I see where you're coming from, but we've never done that (sweeping Bedlam) consistently in the entire history of our program. Kruger is a good coach, so I just don't see that as a realistic expectation.