Cowboy Basketball (9-3) takes down the #6 Kansas Jayhawks. OSU IS GOOD! BEDLAM on Saturday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Im just glad to see some good hard nosed, high intensity basketball being played again. You know the guys have bought into whatever coach is preaching b/c the effort on defense it absolutely intense.
The energy from this team is so refreshing.
Even after Cade is gone, we get 2 years of an Avery Anderson and Rondel Walker backcourt. The pickpockets of Rome are jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2013
It’s obvious he is a excellent practice coach.

That team last night was moving away from the ball, hustling for rebound position on both ends of the court, working for open high percentage shots, playing good team defense and were unselfish—things that don’t make the stat sheet or the highlight reel, but things that win games...just like Eddie Sutton’s teams did.

He can get team ready to beat anybody but he has trouble with the in game strategy on the fly.
Did we watch the same game? Cade hit at least 3 18+ foot jump shots over defenders in the 1st half that were the result of him being a phenomenal talent at 6’8”. Those are 50/50 at best and not the result of anything generated from a half court set. In addition some of them were early in the shot clock. I’ll give Boynton credit in that he looked at the KSU stat sheet and said “Holy ____! I’ve got the best player in the league and he only took 3 shots.” Those early shots by Cade had to be a result of this. Fast fwd to the 2nd half. We extended the lead by good D and push aheads. Then we unexplicably changed D out of a timeout up by 15 (Ice’s ft pushed it to 16). Then we gave up easy looks at the rim and panicked. Hard to push ahead when they make easy buckets. Yanked 3s early in the clock. Remember the one Williams shot from Dizgwa range that about broke the backboard. And Rondel (who I think might end up being one of my all time favorites) shot 2 flat footed from the right side.

As for rebounding if it wasn’t for Cade and Ice we would be the worst rebounding team in the big 12. Moncrief tries to get position but watch what happens most of the time when the shot goes up. Most times we turn and run to the rim. Rewatch the WV and KU games at how their bigs moved into position and boxed out our defenders. Last night McCormick moved right past his man a lot. Even when he squared up from 10 & shot.

Our turnovers for the most part are mental that are easily fixed. Stop the one handed passes. That is 1st grade fundamental. If you are 6’2” and weigh slightly more than a biscuit quit driving into a zone all the way to the rim. We didn’t do it last night but usually twice per game we try to make an entry pass to the block from the point. If we cut our turnovers in just these areas by 1/3 or 1/2 and stop yanking bad 3s early in a possession we easily add 2-3 conf wins a yr which gets us in the tourney. Throw in the talent he is getting and you’ve got a ton of upside.

Boynton does a good job of recruiting and getting them to play hard. It’s also apparent he loves these kids. But so did Ford.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
The energy from this team is so refreshing.
I'm not trying to slight the previous years teams. All MB teams have been scrappy, bu this year we have enough talent for it to make a difference.

As far as having all guards out there, it just doesn't seem to work. When we go to that line up the opposing big guy just seems to go off. I don't think Cade is comfortable playing the 5 and sure as heck doesn't like defending down there. Also when we go to that line up we just get absolutely killed on the boards. Having said all that Keylan does a pretty good job at holding his own down low when we go small.

Jan 13, 2005
One year he should have made the tourney but got screwed over by Trae Young, the next year he had to kick off half the team because of something out of his control, and last year there was no tournament. Obviously win more games the first year and don't have to worry about it but he's had some bad breaks. Boyton obviously works very hard, his kids work hard for him, and he doesn't bury stuff under the rug. He's had to make a lot of hard decisions in his first few years and has always done the right thing imo. I'll cut him a little slack and say that he is going to get better in game because you see flashes of it. Wichita State this year. Switching defenses in the second half won us that game.

This team is 7 points short of being undefeated in conference play right now. They are young and talented. When was the last time we were .500 in conference? I don't think I've been this impressed overall by an OSU team since the days of Allen, the Graham twins, and Lucas. Long, athletic, and fast players up and down the bench. We are legitimately deep.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I just hope these young players really took to heart what last night’s win took, including effort and focus to get the large lead early, and the same to not let it totally collapse after losing it in the waning minutes.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
Honestly I think we should play 5 guards more often. Our best line up is Ice, Cade, Bryce Williams, Walker, and AA. Ice guarded that 5 as well as anyone last night. Just bodied him up and didn’t let him get too deep. We went zone and just flew around the basketball court. On the offensive end it just creates so many mismatches because the other teams bigs are pulled away from the rim and have to guard faster guys off the dribble. 4 of those 5 guys were in double figures last night and Walker had 8.
That didn't work so well against TCU's big man or West Virginia's big man.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
It’s obvious he is a excellent practice coach.

That team last night was moving away from the ball, hustling for rebound position on both ends of the court, working for open high percentage shots, playing good team defense and were unselfish—things that don’t make the stat sheet or the highlight reel, but things that win games...just like Eddie Sutton’s teams did.

He can get team ready to beat anybody but he has trouble with the in game strategy on the fly.
Did we watch the same game? Cade hit at least 3 18+ foot jump shots over defenders in the 1st half that were the result of him being a phenomenal talent at 6’8”. Those are 50/50 at best and not the result of anything generated from a half court set. In addition some of them were early in the shot clock. I’ll give Boynton credit in that he looked at the KSU stat sheet and said “Holy ____! I’ve got the best player in the league and he only took 3 shots.” Those early shots by Cade had to be a result of this. Fast fwd to the 2nd half. We extended the lead by good D and push aheads. Then we unexplicably changed D out of a timeout up by 15 (Ice’s ft pushed it to 16). Then we gave up easy looks at the rim and panicked. Hard to push ahead when they make easy buckets. Yanked 3s early in the clock. Remember the one Williams shot from Dizgwa range that about broke the backboard. And Rondel (who I think might end up being one of my all time favorites) shot 2 flat footed from the right side.

As for rebounding if it wasn’t for Cade and Ice we would be the worst rebounding team in the big 12. Moncrief tries to get position but watch what happens most of the time when the shot goes up. Most times we turn and run to the rim. Rewatch the WV and KU games at how their bigs moved into position and boxed out our defenders. Last night McCormick moved right past his man a lot. Even when he squared up from 10 & shot.

Our turnovers for the most part are mental that are easily fixed. Stop the one handed passes. That is 1st grade fundamental. If you are 6’2” and weigh slightly more than a biscuit quit driving into a zone all the way to the rim. We didn’t do it last night but usually twice per game we try to make an entry pass to the block from the point. If we cut our turnovers in just these areas by 1/3 or 1/2 and stop yanking bad 3s early in a possession we easily add 2-3 conf wins a yr which gets us in the tourney. Throw in the talent he is getting and you’ve got a ton of upside.

Boynton does a good job of recruiting and getting them to play hard. It’s also apparent he loves these kids. But so did Ford.
As for the rebounding if you take away Cade and Ice...

This point makes no sense as they are on the team and their rebounding counts. You are so eager to prove your point because you are butt hurt at Boynton you are “taking away” the best two players on the team.

Why can’t they count?

I despise this type of logic when people attempt to make a point. Your disdain for Boynton is getting in the way of your logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Texas Tech comes back to win in Austin, 79-77.

Texas now 4-1 in league play, Tech 4-2.

View attachment 88359
But that means Baylor now has sole possession of first place. Makes me wanna puke. If there were some deal with the devil that we could make where we finish second in the conference and get a 2 seed in the tourney (our best results since Eddie), but only in exchange for Baylor winning the conference, I'd hesitate on the deal.

Jun 14, 2011
I went back and watched that play where we got the block and run-out to take the lead. AA needs some mad props for his defense on Garrett, who is an excellent player. He stayed right with him the whole drive in which allowed for the help (Cade) to concentrate on a block or whatever. Had AA let him go by, a foul on CC would have been much more likely to have occurred.

AA played out of his mind and I am super excited about his impact moving forward.
https://twitter.com/OSUMBB/status/1349189606114258944

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I went back and watched that play where we got the block and run-out to take the lead. AA needs some mad props for his defense on Garrett, who is an excellent player. He stayed right with him the whole drive in which allowed for the help (Cade) to concentrate on a block or whatever. Had AA let him go by, a foul on CC would have been much more likely to have occurred.

AA played out of his mind and I am super excited about his impact moving forward.
https://twitter.com/OSUMBB/status/1349189606114258944
Just realized while watching this that Bryce Williams got the game winning assist prior to his finishing steal/dunk. A lot of focus on Cade's block and Rondel's finish (and rightly so), but Bryce's move to give Cade a target and knowing Rondel was running out were high level stuff. He's been outstanding recently.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Just realized while watching this that Bryce Williams got the game winning assist prior to his finishing steal/dunk. A lot of focus on Cade's block and Rondel's finish (and rightly so), but Bryce's move to give Cade a target and knowing Rondel was running out were high level stuff. He's been outstanding recently.
Bryce and AA are monsters on D. If we can get Ice back up to his past levels on that end of the court, we are going to be really tough to beat.