Cowboy Basketball (9-3) takes down the #6 Kansas Jayhawks. OSU IS GOOD! BEDLAM on Saturday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 17, 2011
Avery guarding Bryce was my favorite thing to watch. After Bryce's announcement to KU this felt like he was being put in his place, it felt like Avery had something personal against him, the minute Bryce was out there Avery just swallowed him up.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Everyone wants to talk about Boyton not finishing games well, but no one’s talking about that he finishes SEASONS beautifully. That this team is this good now, when they are likely going to continue to get better due to the age of the players, it’s a gooooooood sign man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah he has finished so good that we haven't appeared in the tournament in any of his seasons...

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Everyone wants to talk about Boyton not finishing games well, but no one’s talking about that he finishes SEASONS beautifully. That this team is this good now, when they are likely going to continue to get better due to the age of the players, it’s a gooooooood sign man.

Yeah he has finished so good that we haven't appeared in the tournament in any of his seasons...
There was no tournament last year.

Mar 27, 2008
Couple of thoughts this morning....

-Isaac Likekele's 3-pointer in the corner was MASSIVE.

-As someone else said, I loved watching Avery Anderson swallow Bryce Thompson on defense. Rondel Walker is the better player from Oklahoma.

-The progression of Avery Anderson from last year to now is great.

-How in the hell does Ol' Miss let Bryce Williams get away? They were only playing him 13min a game... Now he looks like one of the top guards in the Big12. I think you have to give credit again to Coach Boynton for being an elite evaluator of talent.

-Anyone watching could see we had more talent at every position except for center than Kansas. Let that sink in.

-The goons are tough this year. Should be a great game. Go Cowboys!

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
This is spot on. He has his areas of weakness in game coaching. If he can get over that hump... he’ll be a hell of a coach.

It’s one thing if we lose a game we should have won. But when there is a pattern it is obviously something to work on.

If we close out those games were potentially a top 10 team. The talent is there and the effort is there. With this team being so young, these are great learning experiences for a year or two down the road, depending on when some of these guys declare.
It’s obvious he is a excellent practice coach.

That team last night was moving away from the ball, hustling for rebound position on both ends of the court, working for open high percentage shots, playing good team defense and were unselfish—things that don’t make the stat sheet or the highlight reel, but things that win games...just like Eddie Sutton’s teams did.

He can get team ready to beat anybody but he has trouble with the in game strategy on the fly.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40

He does seem to get the team peaking at the right time...another sign of his practice coaching.

He needs a good game assistant in his ear on the bench...I remember when Dickey came back after Texas Tech canned him—it definitely helped Sutton (And he said so). Same with Self

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Why do you think this is? And do you think he consults with Sutton and his assistants during the game, or do you think he runs the show by himself? Just curious
Every time out before he speaks with the players he has a meeting with the coaches. It looks like to me that Pastrana is his guy. Sutton and Hinson usually work the refs. I didn't see page at last nights game. HCMB doesn't talk much with his coaches during live game play

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Im just glad to see some good hard nosed, high intensity basketball being played again. You know the guys have bought into whatever coach is preaching b/c the effort on defense it absolutely intense.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

He does seem to get the team peaking at the right time...another sign of his practice coaching.

He needs a good game assistant in his ear on the bench...I remember when Dickey came back after Texas Tech canned him—it definitely helped Sutton (And he said so). Same with Self
He needs to hire Marty McFly. He could monitor OrangePower. Get the “after the the fact” strategy from our experts then travel back in time and share the knowledge with Coach Boynton. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

Jan 13, 2005
Honestly I think we should play 5 guards more often. Our best line up is Ice, Cade, Bryce Williams, Walker, and AA. Ice guarded that 5 as well as anyone last night. Just bodied him up and didn’t let him get too deep. We went zone and just flew around the basketball court. On the offensive end it just creates so many mismatches because the other teams bigs are pulled away from the rim and have to guard faster guys off the dribble. 4 of those 5 guys were in double figures last night and Walker had 8.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Honestly I think we should play 5 guards more often. Our best line up is Ice, Cade, Bryce Williams, Walker, and AA. Ice guarded that 5 as well as anyone last night. Just bodied him up and didn’t let him get too deep. We went zone and just flew around the basketball court. On the offensive end it just creates so many mismatches because the other teams bigs are pulled away from the rim and have to guard faster guys off the dribble. 4 of those 5 guys were in double figures last night and Walker had 8.
I agree in theory, but in practice when we went to the line up of death we somehow didn’t score. It was absolutely encouraging to see how good that line up was defensively and maybe the shots weren’t falling, but that was the lineup we had in when their big run started.

Honestly, I think if we’re trying to hold leads, the move should be strangling the game. Go huge. A front court of Kouma, MAM, and Keylan with Cade at the 2. The guys eating against us are opposing teams Centers, it’s not a secret. Let’s squeeze the life out of games by going huge and taking the offensive downside.